Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT Coronavirus  (Read 11765 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: OT Coronavirus
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2020, 07:48:46 AM »
The elbow bump thing puzzles me.

For weeks we have been told to sneeze or cough into our elbows. Now we are supposed to take our contaminated elbows and rub them together???
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »
 that really made my wife and I laugh.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
On a london bus a couple of days ago and tried descending the stairs on elbows. Totally impractical- but funny for everyone else!
Let me tell you something cucumber

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »
The elbow bump thing puzzles me.

For weeks we have been told to sneeze or cough into our elbows. Now we are supposed to take our contaminated elbows and rub them together???

I've received a few "elbow rubs" on the pitch that I wouldn't want to suffer again....... :-\

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 12:08:09 PM »
Looks like a side effect of the virus is an improvemnet in pollution levels.

A pair of images captured by NASA and European Space Agency pollution monitoring satellites reveal a significant change in nitrogen dioxide (NO2) levels in the air over China between Jan. 1 and Feb. 25.

The first image, depicting the period from Feb. 1-20, features large pockets of orange and red, which represent a high density of NO2 over metropolitan areas like Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

The timeline for the improvement in air quality coincides with when health and government officials in China acknowledged the threat of coronavirus and put Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, on lockdown.

NO2 is emitted by motor vehicles, power plants and industrial facilities - and the quarantine placed on the city shut most of these things down, likely leading to the improved air quality.

According to NASA, the reduction in NO2 pollution was first apparent near Wuhan but eventually spread across the country.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2020, 09:06:33 PM »
I only went and got stuck in Rome didn't I? Flew out on Monday morning when Home Office Advice was still safe to travel, all broke loose, due to fly back on Sunday, booked a flight Wednesday, the governemnt cancelled it, got a flight late last night arrived home today, it's all going off in Rome....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2020, 10:09:20 PM »
I only went and got stuck in Rome didn't I? Flew out on Monday morning when Home Office Advice was still safe to travel, all broke loose, due to fly back on Sunday, booked a flight Wednesday, the governemnt cancelled it, got a flight late last night arrived home today, it's all going off in Rome....

Good to hear you got home. Stay safe!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2020, 10:27:13 PM »
In France the things are going wrong. It was decided to close every single school from primary schools to universities. This closing has no limit on time actually. In rugby, it seems that the top14 will be cancelled. Here hospitals already lack of material and cancel all surgery. My sister works in a clinic and doctors has been told they would have to choose who will live and who will die. They really expect a nightmare. Retirement homes are closed to visitors, 60,000 people will be concerned by technical unemployment.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2020, 11:14:17 AM »
In France the things are going wrong. It was decided to close every single school from primary schools to universities. This closing has no limit on time actually. In rugby, it seems that the top14 will be cancelled. Here hospitals already lack of material and cancel all surgery. My sister works in a clinic and doctors has been told they would have to choose who will live and who will die. They really expect a nightmare. Retirement homes are closed to visitors, 60,000 people will be concerned by technical unemployment.

My friend who is a health care professional's brother is stuck in Naples and suggested its similar there - in that doctors have been told they need to decide who will get treatment and who won't.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
This is absolutely awful. I know a doctor who is entirely destroyed by the idea he will have to make that kind of horrible choice. Very very hard situation.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2020, 11:46:58 AM »
latest : EFL and Prem League off until April 3.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »
This is absolutely awful. I know a doctor who is entirely destroyed by the idea he will have to make that kind of horrible choice. Very very hard situation.

He put it rather less subtly than I posted.......and the docs in Italy are beside themselves.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2020, 01:28:22 PM »
Everyone is going made on about shortage of alcohol-based sanitisers. One of the best disinfectants is readily available, and has mentioned on the label its anti-Coronavirus capabilities for years. It's Milton solution - used mainly for disinfecting baby things.

Failing that 3% Hydrogen Peroxide will do.

In the lab I used to work in we used to make our own hand sanitizer from Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with Glycerine and Aloe Vera. Doesn't dry as fast as alcohol-based ones but very effective.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2020, 03:36:12 PM »
There is already a shortage or product in France. It's time to remember the plague. Maybe we should do like thiefs in the dark age, using cider vinegar. I remember my beautiful trip in Somerset where I took the opportunity to move around and to visit nice vinegar farms.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »
Developed a continuous cough today, so decided to self isolate. Try and avoid giving it to wife/son/mother. Doubt it's covid19, but better safe than sorry.