Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT Coronavirus  (Read 11766 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OT Coronavirus
« on: March 05, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »
So 25 minutes in to the Wasps/Irish game I got a message from my wife telling me to come home.

She'd been contacted by Public Health England to let her know she had been in contact with a confirmed case of Covid-19 and that she had to self isolate.

Obviously the fact that I was sat in a sports stadium at that point was a little worrying.  But thankfully it wasn't even close to full (how often do you hear that?)

After having spoken to PHE they aren't worried at all about me being able to pass it on, which means I missed out on most of the match for little reason, but now she's in isolation and I'm trying to run a business, look after 3 kids, and follow her around bleaching everything she touches just in case.

Now it turns out they're even cancelling 6N matches so I can't even watch rugby on TV!

Not liking this virus very much...

P.S. Heathen, that's why I didn't message you to meet up at the game...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: OT Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
I really don't see the point of all this isolation rubbish.

It isn't that deadly a virus. As a potential health related killer, it ranks very low down the list.

They have no clinical evidence as to how it is actually spread; they are guessing right now. They will to be able to contain it. It is probably already widespread in the UK.

There is no treatment, other than palliative care.

I simply don't understand. Let it go, get on with life. If you catch it, and you are really ill, stay home, just as you would with flu. If you have the sniffles, go to work as normal.

Yes. Some folk will die. Live with it. It happens every day (and yes, I am pretty much in the highest risk group, and I would still not stay indoors avoiding contact).

Yes, mainly old folk (like me, and maybe most of us here) will die, but still not all of us.

Enough to provide pension schemes with a windfall bonus? Yes. At least it might free up a few houses for the homeless.

The world is overpopulated. Grossly.

I really don't care. If it's my time, it's my time.

If anyone tells me to self-isolate, they can go whistle. Especially if it meant missing a game of rugby.

This media and political frenzy is total madness.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 09:46:14 AM »
Not good but hope it turns out ok.

Just watched a good practice thing on BBC Breakfast with a reporter and a doctor going around normal things in Manchester - cafe, transport etc. She (the doctor) was very practical saying you have to suspect every surface is a risk so touch as to would normally but be concious of not touching your eyes, mouth and face. When you are clear of, say, a bus apply your sanitised hand wash (with over 60% alcohol - I find single malt is good) and you are good to go. Same in cafe where money is handled by many, keyboards and mobiles are said to be some of the worst so use cleaning wipes. THe first sensible practical thing I have watched amid the hysteria. It will probably be repeated through the day.

Also why when you get on a bus in an area away from others does every new passenger sit near you. Start coughing and a few move though.

Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 09:55:32 AM »
...with over 60% alcohol - I find single malt is good

Jeez!  What single malt are you drinking?? Even my cask strength bottles aren't (quite) that!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »

It isn't that deadly a virus. As a potential health related killer, it ranks very low down the list.

They have no clinical evidence as to how it is actually spread; they are guessing right now. They will to be able to contain it. It is probably already widespread in the UK.

I simply don't understand. Let it go, get on with life. If you catch it, and you are really ill, stay home, just as you would with flu. If you have the sniffles, go to work as normal.

Yes. Some folk will die. Live with it. It happens every day (and yes, I am pretty much in the highest risk group, and I would still not stay indoors avoiding contact).

Yes, mainly old folk (like me, and maybe most of us here) will die, but still not all of us.

Enough to provide pension schemes with a windfall bonus? Yes. At least it might free up a few houses for the homeless.

The world is overpopulated. Grossly.

If anyone tells me to self-isolate, they can go whistle. Especially if it meant missing a game of rugby.

More contagious (at least twice by recorded cases I believe) than flu, and 20-30x more deadly (2-3% deaths, 15% hospitalization).

As a coronavirus they know more or less how it behaves, and specifics are being found, they do know have some good ideas on how it's transmitted, even if it's not everything.

The fact it spreads so quickly, and can cause so many to require medical care, means if it was allowed to simply spread, it would overwhelm the health service quickly, which would mean not only do you have the 2-3% dying from covid19, but also everyone who can now no longer receive proper medical care for every other ailment.

As vaccines are developed, treatments improved etc, it will likely simply become part of the general background illnesses like flu/colds etc. But until that point, there's a reason that it's being taken seriously.

Perhaps in the end it will fizzle out, perhaps it'll spread like wildfire, mutate, and wipe out hundreds of millions.

The earth isn't over populated either. There's no lack of space, nor lack of food etc, there's an economics issues, not a production one.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »

I'm gonna argue here.  The isolation rubbish is to save lives, that simple.

In Italy the death rate currently stands at 38.77%.  I'd say that is pretty high.

Actually having spoken to PHE and having read every medical paper I can get my hands on we actually have quite a lot of evidence as to how it spreads.

All the more reason to try not to catch it.

My wife is currently 32 weeks pregnant, she was exposed by someone who had that very attitude.  There is a very real possibiity that if she catches it whe could lose the baby because of it.  Several years ago my son was immunocompromised due to Chemotherapy. If he'd caught it it would have killed him without a doubt.

The very best case scenario is that it has a fatality rate 20x that of seasonal flu, treating it like it is no big deal will kill people who would otherwise have survived.

Do you ignore speed limits when you drive?  There is a massive difference between accepting that this disease will kill people, and being personally responable for making sure it does.

And what about the mother of 2 who is fighting breast cancer who you infect?  Is it her time too?  I'm sure it would be a massive consolation to her children when she dies.

Really?  I honestly thought better of you.

No, the fact that people are pretending it is no big deal is total madness.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:18:34 AM »
"When you are clear of, say, a bus apply your sanitised hand wash (with over 60% alcohol - I find single malt is good) and you are good to go."

Mouth rinse would be more helpful....

The Telegraph has the best summary that I have read:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-does-covid-19-do-body/

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-does-covid-19-do-body/

That all seems very good IRO what's known. Good summary.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »
Case well made, VV.

It seems that just basic precautions like regularly washing your hands and not shaking hands will go a long way to preventing the spread of this virus.

Is that such a hardship?

My wife and I are heading rapidly towards our eighties and so are in the "danger zone". Neither of us wish to contract the virus nor pass it on to anyone.

I agree with NWW that the media has gone well-OTT on this (as they do on much else) but strongly disagree on his view on self-isolation. As VV says, it will help to save lives.

Just off to wash my hands for the third time today.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 10:43:12 AM »
Yes, agree about the mass-panic. Just take sensible precautions, based on some good advice now circulating.

I am relatively young and very healthy so I am not in the vulnerable group,  so it won't change my life for the time being.

But I will follow the advice if only to protect others. If I start to exhibit symptoms I will self-isolate. I may not die, but there are others in my family that probably would. I trust others to do the same.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 10:45:16 AM »

That all seems very good IRO what's known. Good summary.

Agree - my point was that the BBC thing was the first sensible VISUAL I have seen going into everyday places without all the inbuilt panic some reporting has been.

The Whisky comment was, of course, a joke - humour! And yes I do have some pure distilled spirit from the Highlands but it needs a water ratio of about 2or3:1 to make it overly enjoyable.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
The two main reasons for isolation are to delay the spread as much as possible to allow more research but mainly to try to reduce the peak so that the health and emergency services aren't overwhelmed.

And you're better off self isolating because if you don't and are suspected the State has quite draconian powers to isolate you so you may as well be in your own home as some clinical internment where you have no agency.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »
I'm not bothered by the bullet that has my name on it. It's the bullet with to whom it may concern on it that worries me ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 11:33:15 AM »
"When you are clear of, say, a bus apply your sanitised hand wash (with over 60% alcohol - I find single malt is good) and you are good to go."

Mouth rinse would be more helpful....

I have a stock of farm distilled Calva at over 60%!!!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 12:32:07 PM »
Maybe my 'views' were a little extreme. I just get bored with the media et al shouting PANIC all the time.

One issue I always have is with statistics. The 'death rate' is very questionable.

Especially in China.

Not all people who are dying are being tested as part of the post-mortem. True, those who die in hospital, and who had tested positive, will be counted. But, the majority of people are suffering at home. Even if they become ill, they cannot get into hospital for treatment or care, as the hospitals are full. There will be a lot of people dying at home. Thus, the number of deaths will be under-reported.

BUT, an awful lot of people are not being tested at all, even if they have symptoms, especially if they are mild. There are simply not enough testing kits around.

As an example, I was speaking to a client yesterday (via Skype) who is in the lock down area in Northern Italy. He is currently working from home, and his son is at home as his school had already closed. He told me that the big jump in cases reported was because some genius decided to test the poorly old folk in some care facilities. None of them had been tested, all had symptoms of pneumonia. Most of them had it. The staff were then tested, some of them had it.

Statistics are unreliable. As best as can be estimated, under 1% die from it, but, if you look at the demographics, that is next to no children, very few young adults, and almost entirely old folk with underlying health conditions (like me, with a heart problem).

So, instead of quarantining everyone, maybe they should be a lot more targeted?

But, if I don't care if I get it, am I any greater danger to others?

I prefer to live my life than live in a hole wrapped in bubble wrap.