Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT Chris Ashton  (Read 4520 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OT Chris Ashton
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 10:35:15 AM »
Its hardly surprising that Steve Diamond would employ the FIFO approach (Fit In or F off)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 11:42:34 AM »

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 12:07:13 PM »
Surprised Quins can afford him within the cap, maybe they have some high paid players leaving at the end of the season (Sinkler is the only one that springs to mind...)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »
Sinkler leaving will offset Ashton joining but that applies to next season. What if he joins quins immediately. That will add to quins cap this season. Maybe they have some wiggle room in their cap for this season

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 12:55:15 PM »
I was at The Rugby Pod live show in London yesterday with Goodey and Jim.  One of the things they spoke about (briefly) was that apparently, Exeter, Sale and Bristol are under investigation for Salary Cap adherence.

No more substance given, or questions asked on it and I don’t think I’ve read anything elsewhere to suggest there’s an investigation ongoing, but will be interesting to see what happens - especially after Exeter being so vocal with regards to Sarries.

Andy Powell was good value as their special guest too. Not too much rugby chat, a few stories, a bit of 6N preview and a few questions from the audience but an entertaining evening.

Worth the £25 odd for a ticket.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »

To be honest, I hope everyone is being closely monitored for salary cap adherence.

There will undoubtedly be some genuine accounting mishaps.
The rules on the salary cap are complex, and it seems like to date assistance from the salary cap manager is either limited or worthless.
As such, I fully expect to hear of a club that have sneaked over the cap, but genuinely aren't aware of it.

That's a world away from where we are with Saracens

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2020, 02:30:46 PM »

To be honest, I hope everyone is being closely monitored for salary cap adherence.

The rules on the salary cap are complex, and it seems like to date assistance from the salary cap manager is either limited or worthless.
As such, I fully expect to hear of a club that have sneaked over the cap, but genuinely aren't aware of it.

I think both ourselves and quins were over a couple of seasons ago but only by 0.5% (not sure of the exact % but it was mininmal) and was put down to projected EPS credits not transpiring (Haskell and Care not being part of the EPS).

From what I can recall from reading all the various reports that it was Quins who did all the legwork in tems of investigation sensing the PRL slary Cap dept were understaffed

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 03:41:18 PM »

I think both ourselves and quins were over a couple of seasons ago but only by 0.5% (not sure of the exact % but it was mininmal) and was put down to projected EPS credits not transpiring (Haskell and Care not being part of the EPS).

From what I can recall from reading all the various reports that it was Quins who did all the legwork in tems of investigation sensing the PRL slary Cap dept were understaffed

Yes, BG, we were. For us I'm sure it was because we included for credits for Haskell being with England. As that turned out not to be the case, we got stung.
Similar with Quins, which I think might have been for Robshaw?