Always a Wasp

Author Topic: DoR  (Read 3676 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
DoR
« on: March 08, 2020, 01:54:06 PM »
I think anyone who's seen us over the last three or four games would have to admit it's like watching a totally different team. There was improvement at Bristol and Wuss but things look a lot more free now. Given that has Blackett become the man for the job? Or should we consider the range of applications we have to hand. We look a top 4 side again now and the players are brimming with confidence and playing with smiles. Is it a case of if it's not broken don't try and fix it?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: DoR
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »
Regardless, it takes a bit of the pressure off those looking to sort out what happens next.

If no one/the right person was not available - on present form, you'd be more relaxed about waiting and seeing.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 02:19:40 PM »
I thought Lee was off to Cov rugby at the end of the season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
Bit of a poisoned chalice to take over right now.  I would love to see us continue the form and style over the remainder of the season, takes away any immediate pressure to find a quick replacement for Dai.  Whilst Blackett and Co have done a great job in righting the ship the role of DoR is much more than the weekly coaching and match day management.  How Lee could get on with player recruitment is unknown to any of us on the outside.  Only the powers that be will have any idea on that though no one will know for certain until he's given an opportunity. 

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
I agree that it’s certainly taken the immediate pressure off. What it potentially does is demonstrate to interested candidates of what the squad is actually capable of and this make us a more attractive role. I know Vaughn said his phone hadn’t stopped ringing but this spike in form will only help.

I agree with our northern friend, think there is more to the role that perhaps needs considering. This again raise the question of what type of set up are we after? Are we wanting the DOR and Head Coach pairing or a more hands on DOR? If it’s the former then potentially Blackett stays on if he’s not already off to Cov... funny how a few results change out perspective as fans, a month or so ago we were all questioning his coaching abilities... we can be fickle at times!

Personally, I‘d rather go for an established DOR and let someone like Blackett go and prove himself somewhere else and let them take the gamble. If we were to take a punt on someone and gamble a bit (Assuming ex was pies are settled where they are and Blackett is off to Cov), I wouldn’t mind Lancaster coming in.....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 04:56:07 PM by Rory87 »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »
I'd guess that one of the reasons LB was rumoured to be off was that there wasn't a great deal of enthusiasm from the club about him staying due to the very poor form.  I'd argue that the massive uptick in fortunes is a good note in his favour if he does want a decent contract and to stay.

I'd be very surprised if he ended up as DoR though.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 07:08:52 PM »
A few weeks back, the DOR/ Head Coach split at Glozzer seemed to be a favoured idea. That’s one marriage that looked on the rocks yesterday!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 07:16:59 PM »
A few weeks back, the DOR/ Head Coach split at Glozzer seemed to be a favoured idea. That’s one marriage that looked on the rocks yesterday!

Yes watching the screen when Ackers and Humpty came up was amusing.  No conversation and looking in different directions. Faces set to grim!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
When Blackett first joined us i suggested his long term future could be dor/head coach. And that may still be the case.

However, it would be wrong to take this run of games into account. He's working from a position of absolute freedom. Zero expectations given league position, zero consequences given Saracens and zero risk from just telling the boys to have fun. He was in a no lose situation, and whilst he's done well, he remains under none of the pressures that would come with the top role.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 07:59:59 PM »
I like Blackett, but would he be a better choice than someone like Joe Schmidt, or Jake White, or any of the other possible contenders for the role?

Probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out. I suspect there will be a panel of senior club figures who run the recruitment process, I'm very happy to trust them...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 08:46:02 PM »
When Blackett first joined us i suggested his long term future could be dor/head coach. And that may still be the case.

However, it would be wrong to take this run of games into account. He's working from a position of absolute freedom. Zero expectations given league position, zero consequences given Saracens and zero risk from just telling the boys to have fun. He was in a no lose situation, and whilst he's done well, he remains under none of the pressures that would come with the top role.
Maybe so, but you can't deny the results. There is also a school of thought that Blackett was the driving force behind our fantastic attacking displays two or three years ago - a style not dissimilar to what we've seen more recently.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »

Maybe so, but you can't deny the results. There is also a school of thought that Blackett was the driving force behind our fantastic attacking displays two or three years ago - a style not dissimilar to what we've seen more recently.

We hired him as an attack coach, after showing his attack abilities at Rotherham, so I don't think it's a surprise that our attack is looking similar (and he was good at it then).

He has none of the pressures on him, doubly so if he's got a move to Cov on the books.

I'd be more than happy for him to take the role, and think he was half being groomed for it, but I'm not going to base that opinion on the last few weeks.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 07:43:16 AM »
I think it's more than the results. It's the tangible difference in the players. They are happy playing. You may well be right and that might change if we close in on top four and pressure (albeit a different type) is on. But the bottom line is your taking a risk whoever you appoint to some degree and Blackett has ticked some boxes already. One things for sure, it's given the selection panel something else to consider - and has got us fans enjoying watching us again.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 08:10:03 AM »
I think we might be seeing a more player led philosophy which doesn’t mean Lee shouldn’t be getting credit as he is allowing it. Dai was a big figure and even if he wanted the players more empowered it just might not have happened. One thing from the weekend is that there are loads of photos of the players families and kids on the pitch and in the dressing room post game. I might have missed it but I can’t remember seeing that before. If it is new then it speaks of a more player centred approach which might be more natural to a younger coach like LB.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
He is doing well based on the results so far, and the results would count against him if the team lost or didn't perform so why can't they count for him? He has worked his way up through being thrown into being in charge temparliy and then proving himself, no reason to think he couldn't do the same. If he is good and players generally think they can improve with him in charge then great. Not really bothered about how famous the coach is at the start.

Is the move to Cov a rumour or announced?