Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lima - Looks like we have him for another year  (Read 4057 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Lima - Looks like we have him for another year
« on: March 09, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/lima-sopoaga-wasps-rugby-highlanders-17892834

I really hope we do extend him, he was excellent at times on Saturday, I think he will grow into the 15 role.
It was fine when I left it.....

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lima - Looks like we have him for another year
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 06:20:03 PM »
Looks like good news. He's experience and starting to be utilised better.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »
Great news if he stays.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 09:16:19 PM »
I imagine that it has a lot to do with Malakai and Jacob plus the shackles coming off.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:39:45 PM by Heathen »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 10:15:45 PM »
This will be great news if true. Now cover at 15 and a quality 10.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 07:45:52 AM »
Or a first choice 15 who covers 10? He was very good at 15 this week, and MM might be a winger...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:51:43 AM by westwaleswasp »

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 08:25:57 AM »
I don't think his experience and how he works with Jabob should be underestimated in how well Jacob has come on this year. Jacob has been learning his trade from a former All Black, and that, coupled with how well Fekitoa is playing compared to his time at Toulon, shows that Sopoaga's influence isn't just what he does in the 80mins.
Some of his play in recent weeks has been at the level we have been hoping he would play at and I for one am glad he seems to have found his place in the team and is enjoying Rugby at Wasps as that can only be good for the team.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »
Jacob has been learning his trade from a former All Black.

To be fair, I think he's probably been doing that for as long as he's been able to walk!  :D

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 09:10:09 AM »
I don't think his experience and how he works with Jabob should be underestimated in how well Jacob has come on this year. Jacob has been learning his trade from a former All Black, and that, coupled with how well Fekitoa is playing compared to his time at Toulon, shows that Sopoaga's influence isn't just what he does in the 80mins.
Some of his play in recent weeks has been at the level we have been hoping he would play at and I for one am glad he seems to have found his place in the team and is enjoying Rugby at Wasps as that can only be good for the team.

When he has Jimmy, Malakai and Lima for mentors he has a wealth of experiece to guide him. Not short of an AB in his family either!!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
(my emphasis)

Isn't that why you bring in these stars and pay them big bucks, not just for their on-field play but also to help with development of young players? The foreign stars are there for 2-3 years, your home-grown talent should be there for 10+ years if you look after them.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 09:34:41 AM »
(my emphasis)

Isn't that why you bring in these stars and pay them big bucks, not just for their on-field play but also to help with development of young players? The foreign stars are there for 2-3 years, your home-grown talent should be there for 10+ years if you look after them.

Definitely. I think we can clearly see Cips' influence on Umaga, as well as George Smith's influence on Willis.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »
Umaga has said in interview that training with Lima has helped him immensely plus having spent time in NZ albeit with a broken arm for most of the time he soaked up NZ methods of playing at 10.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 10:25:43 AM »
Strong kiwi influence through the spine of the team now:  Shields; Umaga; Gopperth; Fekitoa; Lima

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 10:50:15 AM »
Strong kiwi influence through the spine of the team now:  Shields; Umaga; Gopperth; Fekitoa; Lima

Not sure we can class Umaga as kiwi. He's definitely been influenced by kiwis, but also by samoans, and brits (his mum and cips). Umaga's training overall has been far more English based than anything else.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 11:25:22 AM »

Not sure we can class Umaga as kiwi. He's definitely been influenced by kiwis, but also by samoans, and brits (his mum and cips). Umaga's training overall has been far more English based than anything else.

And lets not forget his dad was a successful League player for many years, that will likely have given him a different take on things.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here