Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs - a horrible thought  (Read 2799 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
EAs - a horrible thought
« on: March 15, 2020, 09:55:31 PM »
If the Premiership and Championship is cancelled for this season does it mean that EAs didn't break the salary cap and because the Championship hasn't been concluded they get to stay up?

Bloody tough on Newcastle as well, but that could be an outcome.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EAs - a horrible thought
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 09:58:43 PM »
If the Premiership and Championship is cancelled for this season does it mean that EAs didn't break the salary cap and because the Championship hasn't been concluded they get to stay up?

Bloody tough on Newcastle as well, but that could be an outcome.

They will stay up, but presumably still ahve the points deducted. Doesn't help Newcastle though.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 10:59:11 PM »
There must be contingency rules that would come into play.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 06:29:34 AM »

They will stay up, but presumably still ahve the points deducted. Doesn't help Newcastle though.

But what if they get under the salary cap for the new season, which is effectively the old season if it was abandoned?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 06:41:01 AM »
Saracens haven't been found guilty yet of breaching this season's cap. What they have been found guilty and docked 70 points for is refusing to allow a mid-season audit.

I suspect that if the season is abandoned the remaining results will be declared 0-0 draws, with no formal playoffs.

Either way, don't expect Saracens to be playing in the Premiership next season, whenever it eventually starts.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 07:11:30 AM »
Saracens haven't been found guilty yet of breaching this season's cap. What they have been found guilty and docked 70 points for is refusing to allow a mid-season audit.

I suspect that if the season is abandoned the remaining results will be declared 0-0 draws, with no formal playoffs.

Either way, don't expect Saracens to be playing in the Premiership next season, whenever it eventually starts.

David, I agree with you. Given the possible timeframes involved, I cannot see any rugby being played in the UK for the next three months. Preseason in July and August at the earliest, with a new season starting in September.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 09:34:25 AM »
I think a really difficult decision will be what clubs do about individually bought match tickets (and other hospitality and services, like parking), season tickets, and the sale of next year's season tickets.

Internally, I can see issues with club wear also (shirts etc).

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 09:46:38 AM »
What I've read that if the season is abandoned, it's effectively treated as though it wasn't played. Meaning we just go back to the start next season. EAs with their full punishment once again.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »
Common sense will (for once) prevail as it’s a very easy decision.

Sarries go down as they have been relegated. Falcons go up as they are miles ahead, unbeaten and are the only PRL shareholder that aren’t in the Premiership atm.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »
What I've read that if the season is abandoned, it's effectively treated as though it wasn't played. Meaning we just go back to the start next season. EAs with their full punishment once again.

Other than for player contracts, that is what I understand also. EA's would be in the prem again, Newcastle still stuck below. Those in the European comps would be back in.

This is going to get VERY messy.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »
Common sense will (for once) prevail as it’s a very easy decision.

Sarries go down as they have been relegated. Falcons go up as they are miles ahead, unbeaten and are the only PRL shareholder that aren’t in the Premiership atm.

Any other decision is over complicating what should be a straight forward decision.  But that is what lawyers and others with too much time on their hands (which includes me for at least another week) do.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 01:04:29 PM »
The Sarries situation makes the issue of relegation in an incomplete season a whole lot easier.  Their relegation was confirmed months ago and should stand.  It would be churlish of any of the other Championship clubs not to concede that Newcastle have earned promotion if the season were to be aborted now.  15 games into a 22 game season and they have won every game plus 11/15 bonus points.  Their lead may not be mathematically unassailable, but realistically they are not going to be caught.

Of course things could get more complicated down through the pyramid.  If the RFU promote and relegate based on current positions between the Premiership and Championship because things are conveniently pretty clear cut, then where does that leave them with promotion from National 1 where things are less so?  And so on...