Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT Coronavirus  (Read 12231 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OT Coronavirus
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2020, 04:27:40 PM »
Soap works even better than alcohol, if you lack that I personally would even use washing up liquid or similar detergents in the event of nationwide shortages of soap. It might not be kind to your hands but needs would must. Viruses are exceptionally clingy to surfaces, soap weakens the forces that cause them to stick to surfaces (like most forces will be electrostatic in origin, like any chemical bond is essentially electrostatic) and it acts directly upon the viral lipid membrane.  If you can act on the membrane and knacker that, and free the virus from your hand to boot you are onto a winner. Soap works so well at loosening the virus because it has a polar head and a hydrophobic tail meaning nothing is safe from it- it can loosen anything from anything.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:37:31 AM by westwaleswasp »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2020, 04:46:12 PM »
Soap works even better than alcohol, if you lack that I personally would even use washing up liquid or similar detergents in the event of nationwide shortages of soap. It might not be kind to your hands but needs would must. Viruses are exceptionally clingy to surfaces, soap weakens the forces that cause them to stick to surfaces (like most forces will be electrostatic in origin, like any chemical is essentially electrostatic) and it acts directly upon the viral lipid membrane.  If you can act on the membrane and knacker that, and free the virus from your hand to boot you are onto a winner. Soap works so well at loosening the virus because it has a polar head and a hydrophobic tail meaning nothing is safe from it- it can loosen anything from anything.

Geez - and I just thought it was slippy stuff!
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2020, 05:14:45 PM »
That reminds me of the 2 nuns sharing a bath joke. But that is NSFS (Not Suitable For Snowflakes).

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2020, 05:51:05 PM »
That reminds me of the 2 nuns sharing a bath joke. But that is NSFS (Not Suitable For Snowflakes).

".......it does, doesn't it"?

That one?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2020, 06:02:10 PM »
Developed a continuous cough today, so decided to self isolate. Try and avoid giving it to wife/son/mother. Doubt it's covid19, but better safe than sorry.

Hope it settles quickly and isn't serious.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »
With the average age on this board there may well be a few of us coffin dodgers spluttering about for a few weeks!  Get well soon.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2020, 06:34:22 PM »
Cheers. I'm nowhere near an at risk group, so I'm not concerned, even if it did turn out to be covid 19, I'll probably never know.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »

".......it does, doesn't it"?

That one?

Where's the soap?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2020, 07:07:07 PM »
Anyway, I see they have just called off the Cup Final match on Sunday, as someone has the symptoms of this virus. Presumably a player or someone closely connected with one of the teams.

I can see the Premiership being called to a halt before next Friday.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2020, 07:13:41 PM »
Anyway, I see they have just called off the Cup Final match on Sunday, as someone has the symptoms of this virus. Presumably a player or someone closely connected with one of the teams.

I can see the Premiership being called to a halt before next Friday.

Member of staff I believe.

Once a few squads have such cases, they'll shut it down. Sale now won't be able to take part for a couple of weeks I wouldn't have thought.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
Soap works even better than alcohol, if you lack that I personally would even use washing up liquid or similar detergents in the event of nationwide shortages of soap. It might not be kind to your hands but needs would must. Viruses are exceptionally clingy to surfaces, soap weakens the forces that cause them to stick to surfaces (like most forces will be electrostatic in origin, like any chemical bond is essentially electrostatic) and it acts directly upon the viral lipid membrane.  If you can act on the membrane and knacker that, and free the virus from your hand to boot you are onto a winner. Soap works so well at loosening the virus because it has a polar head and a hydrophobic tail meaning nothing is safe from it- it can loosen anything from anything.

Back in the 80s in the lab I worked in we used to make up our own hand sanitiser made of Milton fluid with glycerine and Aloe Vera.  It stank a bit, but worked. Doesn't dry like alcohol-based ones, but very effective.

Milton bottles actually mentions coronavirus as one of the things it is effective against.

Milton itself is an effective sanitiser for door knobs etc.

Milton diluted in a soap-based solution should be quite effective.

I was at the local supermarket yesterday, and although all the soap was gone there was plenty of Milton.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »
That might be very useful info, thanks. Should have some Milton kicking about.
I have been wondering if bio washing powders that contain lipases (and proteases to boot) might also be an alternative if the shops empty. Again harsh on the hands but basically they are act as soaps with the two types of surfactants, one of which works on fats, and have the extra enzymes.