Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Season End  (Read 3885 times)

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Season End
« on: March 15, 2020, 06:13:16 PM »
I was trying to work out how this mught evolve.

Season usually ends for most clubs in May latest, players have a holiday and return for pre-season unless touring when they return late.

If, as seems quite a possibilty, the season goes on for all clubs into June but is completed by end June the process will get squeezed but be manageable.  If, as seems more likely, end June is missed we may well get into difficulties.  Pre-season is necessary for safety reasons to get conditioning up to levels etc.

In a worse case scenario that the season cannot be completed, and this is really the thrust of this post, what do we speculate might happen?  Fortunately the lack of the relegation issue helps this year but what of the other end of the table, particularly top four and Europe?

Any thoughts?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Season End
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
End of June is effectively only three months away and I don't think this will be anywhere near over. Probably the best thing for all sports is to draw a line in some way under this season and plan early for next in case play is possible then.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 06:54:00 PM »
The season s scheduled to run to 6th June in any case.  Add semis and the final, and we we're nearly in July if we stayed on schedule.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 07:21:18 PM »
We could just have the remainder of the season worked out on a pro rata basis from the previous 3 matches  :)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »
BBC reporting the premiership set to be postponed. But no details yet.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 10:48:59 PM »
Gut feel is that it is season over.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 08:55:51 AM »
Given how congested each season is.. the length of the domestic league (bearing bearing in mind the EC and league semis and finals extend the league season into late May/June), the various summer tours.. the obligatory rest for players and pre-season training, I can't see the seaon being completed unless games start being played within 3 - 4 weeks.

Sarries being relegated helpfully resolves the very contensious issue of who would/should be relegated.

If the season can't be completed then I don't think a champion can be crowned (i.e Exeter leading now shouldn't be champoions by default).

As to the qualfiers for the Europe competions.. blimey.. what a headache.

Qualifiers chosen based on where the clubs sit in the table now?  :D

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 09:45:54 AM »
There is not a satisfactory solution but I think there are two choices:
1) the old Pools panel doing weekly results   Now that would keep us keyboard warriors busy while we are at home self isolating with little else to do.
2) league positions as they are at point of suspension and all relevant qualifications based on that. Maybe a * for the leaders to show the reason.  But then again if Sarries haven’t had to do something for their years of cheating I am not certain that is necessary.

My choice would be  2.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
Duckworth-Lewis!  ;D

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:15 AM »
Have to agree on 2.
However suspect the authorities will endeavour to cock ut up royally.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »
Straight into Knock-Out rugby when the season resumes (if it does).

Chiefs get a bye rather than playing Saracens, then 2nd to play 11th, 3rd to play 10th etc...

(although, actually, that wouldn't work as would mean 6 teams 'qualify' which goes into 3 games as 'semis')

Perhaps Top 8 into Play-Offs.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »
Whatever happens no-one will be happy.

Assuming the rest of the season is written-off then we will finish the season as we currently are. If it is possible to play matches later-on there will not be time to fulfill all the outstanding fixtures - so which ones get played?

The only thing that is, probably  :), guaranteed is that Sarries will be relegated. However how will they decide who will be promoted? Newcastle are so far ahead they should be promoted, but the likes of Coventry, Ealing and Pirates will want their say.

The winner, with an asterisk, will probably be Exeter, although Sale, Bristol and Northampton might have something to say about that.

The remainder of the top six, and thus ECC will probably be decided based on current positions, but then the remaining 6, sorry 5, teams will all claim they have turned the corner and were about to charge up the table.

Oh what a mess!

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 10:49:34 AM »
Been thinking about this in respect to football (especially with Leeds being an important part of my family’s sporting interest).

I’d say let’s not worry about next season, we have a season in progress so why don’t we finish it when we can at a reasonable rate, have a good break for an off season and then plan how to reset the sporting calendar.

I understand the issues with contracts often ending in June/July but I’m sure most clubs would be open to extending them until the season ends or maybe just allowing a mid season transfer week where players move to their new clubs.

Saves all conflict as you can’t argue about something that hasn’t happened yet.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 11:04:55 AM »
Been thinking about this in respect to football (especially with Leeds being an important part of my family’s sporting interest).

I’d say let’s not worry about next season, we have a season in progress so why don’t we finish it when we can at a reasonable rate, have a good break for an off season and then plan how to reset the sporting calendar.

I understand the issues with contracts often ending in June/July but I’m sure most clubs would be open to extending them until the season ends or maybe just allowing a mid season transfer week where players move to their new clubs.

Saves all conflict as you can’t argue about something that hasn’t happened yet.

I think by June/July the clubs will be aware that they are not going to be able to play for the foreseeable future. Wrap up the current season somehow, shed players and prepare for something starting Autumn/Winter. This will apply to most sports I would think.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
While it feels extremely unlikely there is still a chance that this whole issue will not come to anything serious and will fizzle out over the next few weeks.  Until we can categorically say that is out of the question the clubs need to prepare for carrying on the season in a few weeks.

Personally I think this one is done, it's a shame as I really think we've turned a corner and we could have easily ended up in the playoffs with a shot at the title again.

As long as the club makes it through I'm ok with whatever the board of PRL decides is the best way to handle it.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here