Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Player phone calls  (Read 2861 times)

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Player phone calls
« on: March 19, 2020, 05:22:34 PM »
Anybody else had one of these. Mrs NYW and I walking dogs, unknown caller on her phone, answered, Lima Sopoaga. Just ringing to check you're ok in these difficult times, is there anything you need or we can help with. Fortunately we are all good but it is one hell of a gesture and totally made Mrs NYWs' day, hasn't stopped smiling all afternoon. Hats off to all the guys and big thank to Lima for making my ladies day for her.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Player phone calls
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
Wonky had a call from Josh Basset, I think it's an amazing thing.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 05:26:14 PM »
I've not had one but I have seen over Twitter that all the players have been doing it such as Tom Cruse/Bertie/Dobby/Brad. It's good to see! I think Wasps have really excelled themselves during this difficult time.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »
Nope. A long list I would think ...

Maybe they are just ringing the older folk (the 'vulnerable')?

My doctor and the hospital (cardiac nurse) called me (lucky me) to BOTH tell me to self-isolate, just in case I wasn't (I wasn't), because of my recent heart attack. Both called within minutes of each other on Monday morning.

Must say it is very lonely not going out even to meet up with my biker mates, or to watch games (summer has the same effect for me with no games, but at least more biking activity, not this year I guess). Not even to go shopping. Our local supermarket (Sainsburys) is failing miserably to cope. It is out of stock within a few minutes of opening every day, and the first hour is reserved now for the thousands OAPs (my wife is not) who live in our village and its environs.

Cupboards in our house starting to look very bare. Things not looking at all good on the soap or loo roll front. As I said, our local Sainsburys doesn't have even bread, eggs, butter, milk or any fruit and veg. Still has some clothes though. It is, sadly, way too small to serve this area, and, aside from newsagents and a small (useless) Coop, it is all we have. But, they seem utterly incapable of ordering in what they need. Looking at how it is right now, there is no hope of us getting through this without making some much longer distance 'essential' journeys. Which defeats the object of self-isolating.

I blame all the hamsters in the village.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:38:12 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 08:27:58 PM »
Have noticed the players have been tagging in ex-team mates so it is now spreading to other teams, Simmo has posted a video as well having called up a Glaws fan.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:30:10 PM »
Mrs G was told in no uncertain terms today, by her consultant, that she should not put herself into any situation whereby her compromised immune system, could be threatened. We had planned a trip to Wales at the end of the month to Pembrokeshire to celebrate an aunt's 90th birthday.

Rang my cousin this evening, to let her know that we would not be coming and I got a very frosty reception. She claimed her radio did not work and the the TV was broken. She still has an internet connection but she must live with her head where the sun doesn't shine!! I'm staggered that she is still considering putting her parents at risk, by even holding the gathering.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 09:45:30 PM »
Take no risks! A frosty reception is well worth the safety for my money. I think a lot are disregarding the advice at the moment.  It is supposed to be quiet out there, like a Sunday morning, but rush hour looks the same right now.
We are not seeing our parents, at all. I am really not happy that they are still shopping for bits and bobs to be honest.

Great that the lads are doing this. Rugby's values shining through- again.

My school is shutting, but open for a few boarders and children of key workers. As we are independent we have a few pharmacists/doctor parents, and some have taken us up on this. So I have volunteered  to go in- it will be a rota, so it may not be continuous or sticking to exact school times, and demand will vary according to the parent's work schedule, but I won't know when I am on, and need to be available even on my regular "day off".  Because I am asthmatic, and the fact that I have been hospitalised about five years ago with pneumonia, I have asked to do PE rather than indoor teaching where I can keep a safe distance. I won't be doing rugby, though. We do not have the facilities as our pitches are beyond sodden bar a couple of patches I have kept for the girls' soccer, and I don't really have the skills or experience in coaching Union, whereas I have been involved with school soccer for a number of years and have also team taught a few sports with proper (first subject) PE teachers. We have had little need for rugby coaching as every man and his dog does it, and we have had ex players in delivering it at times, so I have never had the need to develop the skills needed.

My wife is getting paid leave and can look after my daughter when I am working, so it works out well. If I was not going in to work she would not get the leave. I would rather the risk from a few NHS children in the open than her going into a packed building, and this way I get to help keep some front line staff working.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:48:14 PM by westwaleswasp »

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 09:55:28 PM »
You undoubtedly did the right thing Heathen.  it may prove to be overkill (I don't think so) but we are doing everything advised to us by Boris and co.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 10:25:14 PM »
Did the Boss make back from France?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 08:45:36 AM »
Turned on Radio 5 just after half 8 and heard Brad being interviewed about the phone calls. Was asked about salary reduction but served it nicely saying others are far worse off than them. Also they touched on Wasps sharing out food packages praising the club. Nice to hear.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 10:03:17 AM »
My wife just said "if someone claiming to be a Wasps player called me out of the blue - I'd probably have thought it was a hoax call, and put the phone down"

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 06:23:51 PM »
I am SO glad that I didn't do that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »
Great initiative by Wasps.

I’m really hoping the club can get through  this crisis. I’m wondering if the RFU are going to financially support premiership clubs or whether the clubs might be insured at all ?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 10:36:58 AM »

I’m really hoping the club can get through  this crisis. I’m wondering if the RFU are going to financially support premiership clubs or whether the clubs might be insured at all ?

Derek made his money in Insurance. I'd be very surprised if there wasnt at least some sort of Business Continuity cover in place.

The question is whether it can be activated with the government not actually banning sporting events.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 10:43:15 AM »

Derek made his money in Insurance. I'd be very surprised if there wasnt at least some sort of Business Continuity cover in place.

The question is whether it can be activated with the government not actually banning sporting events.

Thanks V V. I’m routing for Derek and hope he can steer the club through this crisis