Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Players wages cut by 25%?  (Read 3446 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Players wages cut by 25%?
« on: March 19, 2020, 09:54:01 PM »
Story running in social meeja that Prem clubs are implementing this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:49:43 PM by Heathen »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Players wages cut by 25%?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:37:51 PM »
From the Daily Telegraph:

Premiership clubs are preparing to ask players to take a 25 per cent paycut because of the financial effects of the coronavirus outbreak, Telegraph Sport has learned.

Both Gloucester and Sale Sharks have called staff meetings for Friday in which they will outline the radical measures and it is believed up to seven other clubs, including Harlequins, Leicester and Wasps, are prepared to follow suit. Docking any wages would constitute a breach of contract and so players would have to agree to the proposal.

It is understood the clubs will argue that if they do not enact radical measures then they may struggle to stay afloat. At present, the next four rounds of league matches have been suspended, although the chances of the Premiership resuming as scheduled on April 24 appear increasingly remote.

Premiership clubs can ill afford to lose many further matches. Lance Bradley, the Gloucester chief executive who held a meeting with the senior playing group yesterday, last week told Telegraph Sport that matchday revenues make up 25-30 per cent of the club’s income. Bradley also said the prospect of cancellations or behind-closed-doors games would have a “dramatic impact on our finances.”

More bluntly a Gloucester playing source was told with no revenue coming in “they are going to be f-----d pretty quickly”. That situation is replicated throughout the league, which lost a collective £50million in the last financial year. Telegraph Sport also understands that clubs’ central funding from Premiership Funding has been cut by a quarter this week, which may reflect the demand for players to have their wages docked by 25%.

However, many players are asking what happened to the £13.5 million each club received from CVC’s takeover of Premiership Rugby last year.  An emergency call of the Rugby Players’ Association’s players board was held on Thursday. The players’ union will hold further talks today as further detail of the clubs’ demands comes to light.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

EssexWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »
This probably gives CVC even bigger leverage - cash injection for a bigger [controlling?] equity stake........

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
Confirmed

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/an-open-letter-to-fans-partners-staff-and-community-from-our-ceo-stephen-vaughan/

Respect that they’ve made it public ASAP and seems like the players are understanding of why this has needed to be done.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »
Well done the club for going public quickly with this AND everyone agreeing.

Brad on Radio 5 this morning indicated that there were far more people worse off than them (the rugby players).
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 02:14:46 PM »
I'm beginning to grow suspicious that Saracens might be behind this virus.   An elaborate ploy to allow them to get back under the salary cap and avoid further sanctions!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 02:37:27 PM »
I'm beginning to grow suspicious that Saracens might be behind this virus.   An elaborate ploy to allow them to get back under the salary cap and avoid further sanctions!

I'm presuming you would have used a tongue in cheek emoji if one was available.

The players have agreed to accept a smaller monthly payment to help cashflow, it doesn't mean their contracts have been reduced.. as Brad has said.. there are a lot of people in much worse positions.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »
I must admit I read the exclamation mark as a symbol of irony.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »

I'm presuming you would have used a tongue in cheek emoji if one was available.

The players have agreed to accept a smaller monthly payment to help cashflow, it doesn't mean their contracts have been reduced.. as Brad has said.. there are a lot of people in much worse positions.

To be clear, I was not seriously suggesting for one moment that Sarries sent a secret envoy over to a previously little known Chinese city to introduce a virus that would readily spread on a global scale, eventually causing the indefinite postponement of Premiership rugby allowing them the opportunity to cut players' wages by 25% in order to facilitate them getting under the salary cap.

Simply trying to put a slightly light hearted spin on what has become a thoroughly depressing story for a multitude of reasons by using what has become something of a tired cliche on here in recent months with the blame for all manner of ills laid at the feet of Saracens on account of their cheating.

Didn't really consider that any kind of emoji was needed in order to convey that. Emojis don't feature too heavily in my posts as a rule.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
Don't really know what an emoji is, never having used one.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 07:25:27 AM »

Sorry DGP but you're wrong. It was Greta Thunberg wot dun it. Apparently pollution and GHG emissions are down everywhere.  :o
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:28:02 AM by Marlow Nick »

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »
A silver lining then Nick.

I see the perpetually inaccurate Daily Mail has published a story stating the players are ready to go on strike for the clubs implementation of the waves cut.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/index.html

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 08:41:14 AM »

I see the perpetually inaccurate Daily Mail has published a story stating the players are ready to go on strike for the clubs implementation of the waves cut.

So how will that work I wonder.

Players that have no matches to play and arent even coming in for training will stay at home.and not play matches as a protest.

I couldn't think of a better and more efficient way to lose all the good will the clubs have built up since this kicked off than the players demanding money for not doing anything...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »

So how will that work I wonder.

Players that have no matches to play and arent even coming in for training will stay at home.and not play matches as a protest.

I couldn't think of a better and more efficient way to lose all the good will the clubs have built up since this kicked off than the players demanding money for not doing anything...

But the lead picture is the EAs 😀
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 09:10:08 AM »
Assuming they are employed by the Clubs they could be eligible for the new payment measures announced last night, so no loss for them.

Unlike someone I know who left his job at end of February, to take February off before he starts his new job at start of April in the hospitality industry...