Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting Summary  (Read 2330 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Summary
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »
Thomas Young (27, back row)

Bloody hell, where did the years go? It seem like only yesterday we were watching him start his first tea, career and there were snipes about him being the bosses son. Those were soon shut down and he's shown great talent. We couldn't blame him if chased a few more international caps, but I'd love to see him stay.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
Out of all of those the ones I think we desperately need to retain are:

- Gopperth
- Young
- Watson
- Matthews
- Carr

AJ hasn't played much if at all this season... Matthews sadly rumoured is leaving for France. Carr might be on SA radar post world cup (but then again with their depth....). Young may want to go to Wales, or make a hell of a lot abroad.

There's a lot of uncertainty here. Luckily less players leaving than last year... Hope we keep as many as possible.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 04:00:06 PM »
Thomas Young (27, back row)

Bloody hell, where did the years go? It seem like only yesterday we were watching him start his first tea, career and there were snipes about him being the bosses son. Those were soon shut down and he's shown great talent. We couldn't blame him if chased a few more international caps, but I'd love to see him stay.

Also note from Jack Willis's Facebook Show this morning, although he jumped in when allowed when George Smith was around coaching YY, he credits training with Thomas as a booster.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »
The club - and players - have some tough decisions to make.

It would be very sad to see any of them go as they are all very good players but I doubt the club will offer them all good deals. Their budget won’t stretch that far.

I have to say that they should do their best to retain Thibaud and Thomas and Nemo.

I suspect Jimmy will be retained on a player coach basis perhaps to replace martin Gleason.

To be honest, I see Thomas as a home bird and suspect he will return to Wales.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:38:12 PM »
Interesting article on TY from Welsh perspective suggesting he will stay as no room at any region for him.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/outstanding-player-whose-wales-career-17977951.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 08:49:41 PM »
I'd be desperate to keep Carr, Young and Gopperth.
Very happy to keep Watson and Matthews.
Realistic about keeping Johnson although I still think he can have a bench impact.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
If Johnson were to renew, he would likely be offered a chunk less money that his last contract a couple of years back, so in that respect he could be a very handy squad player.  On a purely sentimental level, he is the one I'd be most disappointed to see go.  Especially if the season does not resume and he doesn't get the send off his years of service so richly deserve.  Proper club legend.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 08:57:26 AM »
I'd really not want to lose Carr and would hope Jimmy would want to carry on and transition to the tracksuit side over time. Charlie M is the one I didn't think I'd be bothered by, so much. But I've 100% changed my mind as he's shown how a decently locked scrum can work and he has shown leadership and lineout organisation skills too

Leadership is vital and Charlie has stepped up to the plate. With our current resource/squad we can put put (IMO) a better balanced backrow than England....(Carr, Brad, Willis/Young) a fantastic SR with Thib and Lauch and Charlie etc and a world class front row. Recent games have shown a pack happy and willing to show how good they are

In the backs, we'd probably be keen to keep the pace we have, and think very carefully how we might best cover a long season at 10 and 12. But as an old prop....I'm rather less certain of my ground in the backs!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »
I hope YoungYoung (worth keeping that nickname) will stay. That article shows what competition he has as a No.7 in Wales. Not sure how much of a home bird he is - if he’s anything like me, I only go back to Wales if I have a return ticket & I know the English need us!! I wonder if his decision will be affected by how his father departed.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 10:15:54 AM »
Interesting that Brad Shields isn’t mentioned as mom get the players suspecting of having the contracts expire this summer. Given Cov Tel has previously run a story on him being linked to Saints (which has gone quiet) I’m assuming they have had it confirmed that is not the case, else he would have been included?

I too think Carr and Young are priorities. Gops will surely stay. Matthews has changed a lot of people’s opinions this season, including mine and I would be keen for him to stay. It’s whether he feels he can get a higher wage elsewhere.
AJ.... hasn’t been around much this season. Would love to keep him but if Brad, Carr and Young are all staying, then I would think he might got elsewhere for game time at the end of his career.
Watson.... it’s a hard one. I think Kibirige has shown to be the better player this season. But Watson can be lethal on his day. I would be disappointed if he left as think he suits us, but I wouldn’t break the bank to keep him.

Without knowing incoming players, it’s hard to make a judgement on who to push to keep. But those are my thoughts without the inside track on recruitment