Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Falcons back in the Premiership  (Read 2088 times)

Chilham

• View Profile
Re: Falcons back in the Premiership
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
It doesn't specifically state this decision will apply to the Premiership.  Just from the Championship down. 

Seems odd to announce it without confirming tables.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 10:35:49 AM »
PRL still thinking

https://mol.im/a/8177533
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 12:16:11 PM »
The Premiership has a lot further to run that the leagues from National 1 down which are only 5 games away from completion.  The Sarries situation really has served as a blessing as if there were a few teams in a scrap at the bottom then the issue of relegation following an incomplete season (if that's where we end up) would have been far more complicated and Newcastle would likely have been the ones to miss out.

I suspect if the Premiership season is abandoned then final league positions will stand as they are for the purpose of European qualification, with no championship awarded due to no play-offs.

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 01:58:23 PM »
Nick Mullins has tweeted that RFU have confirmed Newcastle's promotion - our annual weekend  trip to the Toon is back on....sometime  :-\

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 02:32:53 PM »
Nick Mullins has tweeted that RFU have confirmed Newcastle's promotion - our annual weekend  trip to the Toon is back on....sometime  :-\

Which was the OP from England Rugby. Wet windy Friday nights.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 08:33:55 AM »

After the championship alot of the leagues are far less clear cut for promotion and relegation particularly in the community game with the number of postponements there have been due to weather.
I guess they will hit the publish league tables button at 17.29 and run out the virtual office at 17.30 to avoid the inevitable deluge of complaints!

Both clubs I am involved with are awaiting these sums with baited breath, one 13 points clear at the top so should be ok, the other second tied on points with first but having played a game less.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »

After the championship alot of the leagues are far less clear cut for promotion and relegation particularly in the community game with the number of postponements there have been due to weather.
I guess they will hit the publish league tables button at 17.29 and run out the virtual office at 17.30 to avoid the inevitable deluge of complaints!

Both clubs I am involved with are awaiting these sums with baited breath, one 13 points clear at the top so should be ok, the other second tied on points with first but having played a game less.

"It was agreed that final standings for the Greene King IPA Championship and men’s and women’s community game would be calculated on a best playing record formula maintaining promotion and relegation for those leagues."

Sounds like it will be done on something like a points per game basis, so your 2nd placed team should end up top.  Not sure what else they could have done.  Any solution would have left some teams feeling cheated in some way.  At least this way the games that have already been played have been meaningful.  I'm sure the RFU will look to make it more complicated and less transparent than simply number of points divided by number of games, but we will find out this evening.

Taken from the RFU website just now when I went to check SW Prem table:
"The league tables below are valid only up to 16 March.
From 6pm Friday 3 April, final league standings for Mens RFU Leagues (levels 3-12) and Womens RFU Leagues (Level 2-5) will be available on englandrugby.com."

With no promotion play offs, eg: 2nd in National 2S v 2nd in National 2N, and similar lower down, it remains to be seen if they will just do 2 up and 2 down from those leagues or whether the runner up with the better record to date will take the final promotion place.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »

I wasn't to far out on the timing, leagues coming through now.

The club clear at the top as you might expect stayed there, the other who were tied second ended up 5th, think that might be based on previous away form for the remaining games which is generally when I get the call these days!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »

I wasn't to far out on the timing, leagues coming through now.

The club clear at the top as you might expect stayed there, the other who were tied second ended up 5th, think that might be based on previous away form for the remaining games which is generally when I get the call these days!

A club that was 7th in the table finished 1st in the recalculated table neither of the tied top 2 on games played went up, anyway bigger issues around at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 06:08:31 PM by Chunky24 »