Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Guy Thompson  (Read 5040 times)

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Guy Thompson
« on: April 05, 2020, 07:54:01 AM »
Not sure anyone has seen but just noticed an article saying that Guy was cut by Leicester just prior to the lockdown.

Personally, if he was available on a cheaper rate, i'd have him back in a heartbeat to be a squad player. Always felt we let him go a little early and seemed to be a good social component whilst he was here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-8188073/Guy-Thompsons-shock-Leicester-Tigers-axe-just-days-lockdown.html

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Guy Thompson
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 08:11:24 AM »
Even if the rumour of Shields leaving for Saints I think we're pretty well stocked in the backrow. Seeing as he still lives in Coventry I wonder if a move to Cov RFC might be an option for him

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:05:13 AM »
Read that earlier and thought it was a brutal way to go. Hope he finds somewhere when this is over.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
If Shields goes (which I really hope is not the case) and if Young goes (also really hope not) there may be a place for him. If nothing moves with our back row then there's no point - that's why he left in the first place.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 10:20:07 AM »
There must, surely (and maybe even within Wasps) be players whose contract ends this season, who had not signed (or re-signed - like Gopperth) who will now be left with no club. My guess is that nothing can happen without a medical exam, and that simply isn't going to happen. Since the lockdown started, there hasn't been much of any transfer news, which sort of confirms this.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »
Good points all round. Reckon there will be a lot of players on the market...

I know that we have Gops, Carr, Watson, Matthews, Johnson, Young on the market as. contracts run out end of season.

Out of this lot, i can only really see one of Young/Carr staying, although i reckon Carr as Young will want Wales now his Dad has left.

Watson might stay if Zak goes back to the Toon but with the likes of Bassett, Sirker, Zak (potentially), Minozzi, Paolo etc i reckon we are well stocked.

Mills looks like a Gops replacement and Johnson has almost been phased out already.

Matthews is an odd one, good squad player and with Gaskell (always injured), Rowlands (Intl), Launch (Intl), we could always use him... but if Frances offers are true... hard to turn down.

To be honest with all thats going on and lack of head coach, Signings and re-signings are slightly out the window... when we do get going i reckon it will be like Gustard at Quins and first season very few signings.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 12:15:47 PM »
Great talent when fit. He's had injury problems for a while though. I'd probably keep Shields and or Young to be honest. But was really sad when he first left Wasps.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »
Great talent when fit. He's had injury problems for a while though. I'd probably keep Shields and or Young to be honest. But was really sad when he first left Wasps.
From memory Kibirige was a permanent signing, he activated his relegation release clause. Of course it depends on the length of the deal he signed as to how his contractual term is, worth bearing in mind he wasn't getting regular game time with Falcons, whereas at Wasps he is pretty much a starter now. I hope we keep him, and tighten up his defensive game as he is a true talent.
It was fine when I left it.....

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 12:55:03 PM »
RBB, ????? Not sure how that relates to Guy Thompson....

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »
RBB, ????? Not sure how that relates to Guy Thompson....

It relates to will311293's post above

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 01:24:07 PM »
No worries

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 01:50:03 PM »
Sorry copied the wrong text to quote
It was fine when I left it.....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
given he's been tigers best forward for the last 2 seasons when fit, they are taking a risk letting him go!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 02:52:17 PM »
Stephen Vaughan says all the player and coach contract stuff is sorted for next season.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »
There was considerable gnashing of teeth when Guy left - but sadly his injuries have limited the impact he could have at Tigers. Would we have seen Jack develop in the way he has if Guy had stayed? Would we have brought Carr back?