Always a Wasp

Author Topic: World Rugby issues breakdown law application guideline  (Read 4266 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: World Rugby issues breakdown law application guideline
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 10:03:23 AM »
BT are showing Sarries V Wasps 2015 today at 2pm. Is that the match where we ran rings around them?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
2015/16 was the St Valentine's Day massacre....2016

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »
That match is on YouTube and well worth watching. A big score without Wade scoring.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 10:23:27 AM »
Also I think penalties for anything other than foul play should be free-kicks.

As for the rolling maul - I believe it is the only remaining legal form of obstruction left in the game, and should be changed so that the ball must be held by the player that had possession when the maul formed. No transferring to a player at the back of the maul.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »
That certainly works when the tackle is made during a normal offensive play where the aim is to move the ball well away from the tackled player in order to make meters and get to the opposition try line, but once it became "move the ball one inch closer to Berlin" in an attempt to wind the clock down but not make meters-  i.e. the ball picked up normally by a forward supported by two others with more behind, with the next group setting up to rinse and repeat the defending team could not get their 3/4players there first in order to drive over. 

This is not quite what I mean, but here are Munster's rather famous 33 phases down this neck of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kud2hEgn0Tc

I think this is what they were trying to avoid with their current lenient interpretation.

Each of the first two breakdowns were, if the Laws were applied, penalties against Munster as at least one player goes off feet and dives over the tackled player. (same for most of the breakdowns)

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
That certainly works when the tackle is made during a normal offensive play where the aim is to move the ball well away from the tackled player in order to make meters and get to the opposition try line, but once it became "move the ball one inch closer to Berlin" in an attempt to wind the clock down but not make meters-  i.e. the ball picked up normally by a forward supported by two others with more behind, with the next group setting up to rinse and repeat the defending team could not get their 3/4players there first in order to drive over. 

This is not quite what I mean, but here are Munster's rather famous 33 phases down this neck of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kud2hEgn0Tc

I think this is what they were trying to avoid with their current lenient interpretation.

Each of the first two breakdowns were, if the Laws were applied, penalties against Munster as at least one player goes off feet and dives over the tackled player. (same for most of the breakdowns)

This. There is no need to limit number of pick and gos or anything else like that if you stop supporting players from sealing the ruck off by going off their feet, or not supporting their own body weight.

Mauls get stopped quite often in the games I've seen recently, so I don't think they are as overpowered as some here are suggesting.

I am glad the powers that be have decided properly applying existing rules rather than further tinkering is the way forward.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 03:25:46 PM »
I've always thought the laws on this were just fine. They just need to be enforced on a regular basis.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
Also I think penalties for anything other than foul play should be free-kicks.

Would that not just mean players committing offences with no threat of points being lost or yellow cards, A cheats charter.....?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 10:41:44 AM »
Would that not just mean players committing offences with no threat of points being lost or yellow cards, A cheats charter.....?

Let's face it the way rules are reffed nowadays means the whole game is a cheats charter - as it has always been! (the scrum feed, the dark arts of the front row, the breakdown...)

My main concern is that the scrum results in too many penalties.

I cannot see why a completely dominant scrum should be awarded a penalty everytime they push the opposition back. They should be made to play the ball (after all isn't a scrum supposed to be a way of restarting?), or if unable to play the ball a free kick or tap and go.

If players continue to commit offences the ref can, as they do now, warn that further offences can lead to cards being issued.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 11:59:57 AM »
Re the scrum, I think the only time a penalty ought to be a factor is a 5m scrum

The scrum is to restart and compete for possession with an advantage to the side putting the ball in. As a penalty magnet (As in recent times) its not only taking too long, its an incentive for cheating - and I say that as a veteran loose head who wasn't advert to some "interesting angles..." etc If the ball is playable, play it.

But even as an old prop, the scrum is boring me to death. I was watching the 97 Lions and it was more than a surprise to see both the scrum speed and the difference at the breakdown.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »
Re the scrum, I think the only time a penalty ought to be a factor is a 5m scrum

The scrum is to restart and compete for possession with an advantage to the side putting the ball in. As a penalty magnet (As in recent times) its not only taking too long, its an incentive for cheating - and I say that as a veteran loose head who wasn't advert to some "interesting angles..." etc If the ball is playable, play it.

But even as an old prop, the scrum is boring me to death. I was watching the 97 Lions and it was more than a surprise to see both the scrum speed and the difference at the breakdown.

When I played rugby from the age of 11 through 46, most of the time in the front row, I honestly cannot remember too many infringements at scrum time. The only examples that come to mind were a crooked feed, foot up and a flanker peeling off before the ball was out.

My honest opinion now is, if one side has the ball in the back row going forward or the scrum collapses and ball is available, they should be told to use it.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 07:27:03 PM »
I agree - at my level - there was rarely any penalties awarded - it just seems to be a pro problem. Its supposed to be a restart - if available - play it. And most refs just wanted to get it over with. That said, I did cheat...if possible!

I'm bored watching everyone have a tea break waiting for the scrum.