Always a Wasp

Author Topic: new management structure  (Read 5871 times)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: new management structure
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2020, 06:45:53 AM »
I'm a little underwhelmed with the people who are underwhelmed, it seems everyone is happy for Wasps to bring through players from the Academy but promoting a Head Coach from within is not good enough!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »
Pleased for Lee, it appears like his man-management skills are what have really helped the team of late - albeit he's had reduced pressure with low-expectations and no relegation. 

This new structure strikes me as a prudent talent-vs-spend balance.  We've gone from having (supposedly) the highest paid DoR in the league, to presumably one of the lowest paid coaching teams.

Given the bond situation, the aims to become self-sufficient and that the underlying businesses that contribute towards off-field revenues are having a compounding effect on finances because of the COVID-19, it seems like a sensible move from Vaughan.

It's also left room to change, as finances improve or someone becomes available to do a DoR type role next year.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2020, 05:45:44 PM »
I am not remotely underwhelmed. Relieved really. We can recruit, if needed, with a clear structure, and although it is super early,  the initial signs post Dai were there in terms of the freedom we played with and our potency. A few games is not a big audition, but it is where we are. I have probably placed a little bit less emphasis on the coaches than most- for many in various places these past 18 months led to a call for a new coaching set up, for some people involving Dai, others not, whereas I felt that our players were very low on confidence, and the drop off last year was down to slightly uneven recruitment and player quality/experience cf 2017 rather than a clear sign that we needed a big name coach.  As such, I am very pleased we have given Lee a shot. Confidence has fed on the W, and a positive feedback loop has left us looking good. I hope we can maintain the approach we have seen thus far.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2020, 06:14:23 PM »
I suspect that Lee moving upstairs means that Gleeson is working well. He was certainly a wonderful player in League.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2020, 07:08:32 PM »
I agree, if Gleeson is staying I like the sound of that. Similar to how Long us only just clicking for Quins, Gleeson is starting to understand our structure better.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »
I am just hoping we (the fans in general, not here specifically) give the new guys time.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
I'm a little underwhelmed with the people who are underwhelmed, it seems everyone is happy for Wasps to bring through players from the Academy but promoting a Head Coach from within is not good enough!

This is fair, I guess I need to explain what I meant a little.

I am not underwhelmed because I don't think Lee has done a good job. Clearly he has and he deserves a shot at a more senior role, and I don't have anything at all against the incoming coaches.

However what this shows pretty clearly is that the club isn't going to be appointing a new DOR any time soon.  Anyone coming in to the top dog position would want to have a say in their coaching team, and so appointing a new coaching team essentially means we've put off the appointment for now.

I see this as a reaction to the fact that we simply cannot run the process of selecting and appointing a DOR, and so we will settle for making Lee's appointment official for now, if at a slightly lower level.

The alternative is that we are after a DOR who has no real input nto the coaching. We know the academy is run semi-independently, and we know the recruitment is handled independently.  So if the DOR doesn't direct coaching either then they are little more than a motivational speaker.

The first option is settling for as good as we can right now, and the second just feels doomed to failure, hence I'm underwhelmed.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »

I see this as a reaction to the fact that we simply cannot run the process of selecting and appointing a DOR, and so we will settle for making Lee's appointment official for now, if at a slightly lower level.

BBs article says there was an extensive process?

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-lawrence-dallaglio-18070241.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »
We simply haven't had time to run a proper in depth recruitment process for a top level DOR. But if the decision was taken to simply not bother then I'm more concerned than underwhelmed.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here