Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 4880 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 12:40:00 PM »
Surely it would be a bit difficult to reduce next season's salary cap as most player contracts would have already be signed. I'm not surprised about Bath (Bruce Craig was allegedly the main driving force behind the last cap increase) and Bristol have a wealthy benefactor with deep pockets

I have a feeling the level of the cap will be a  moot point for many clubs.. simply staying in business for many might be the main goal.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 01:09:26 PM »
Great news if we’re keeping Young and attempting to keep Flament as they’ll be very important moving forwards.

I’m not too confident about keeping shields and would still like to hear about Cruse and Matthews who were also rumoured to be off.

Pinched this from FB but in the SA press Ash is apparently a target for the Bulls. He has been one of my favourite all time wasps but his chances have been limited of late despite his impact and versatility. Arguably now he is further down the pecking order due to the emerging youth or potentially blocking Tom Willis game time at 6/8 and Oghre and Barbeary coming through at hooker. Would be a great loss but if he wants the game time I could understand him leaving but also very settled in the UK with family now, could well be pursuing coaching options in the future as wasn’t he working with Jimmy coaching?
Might depend on what Shields is up to with how well stocked we need to be in the back row.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 01:34:26 PM »
Well Tibo is with us for one more season anyway so it gives us time to work on his loyalties.
I don't suppose we can keep everyone but although the rumour on Brad was loud for one weekend it has gone very silent. I can see TC moving with the likes of the two youngsters coming up but to my mind he has been better than TT over the course for reliability.  Matthew's has stood up this season but may have made his decision after the end of last when he got no chance to shine.
I saw the Ash rumour, again one source, and maybe he feels a change is necessary to prolong things plus getting him back to his homeland. But would he want to be with Jake White when so many players have ostracised him. Also his youngsters are settled and he is doing his coaching quals. Depends on Vaughan I suppose.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »
Also a big article on Volls. He seems to be doing OK in his life since he stopped playing.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 03:16:21 PM »
As much as I love watching Smashley, I am not sure he has the pace and fitness to play top level Rugby on a regular basis. He does seem very settled here and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take on a coaching roll whilst remaining registered as a player.

Re. Matthews, given what some French owners can be like, I'd want to be very sure I was making the right move if I wad planning to move my family to France and would want to go and see the club and town/city before signing. I wonder if he might stay for another season due to the Covid-19 situation.

I get the feeling Brad will stay. He seems to be really involved in the team socially as well as on the pitch, and kick started the #MakeThatCall campaign. Just a hunch but I'd be surprised if he left and think it would have been announced by now.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 03:21:40 PM »
Also a big article on Volls. He seems to be doing OK in his life since he stopped playing.

Yes. Actually missed that with so much crap in it! The other half pointed it out.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 03:38:18 PM »
Salary Cap. - If those 3 wan to retain it fine, doesn't mean others need to work up to it. Apart from the obvious initial disparity in quality, if the others teams spent say 5m, 3 clubs spending more would drive down wages anyway as the just arent that many positions available through the league, so organically you'd start to pick up quality for less. 
I can more spending less moving forward.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
Applauds accepted. Sharing at times of austerity

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 06:47:24 PM »
Applauds accepted. Sharing at times of austerity