Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Christian makes it for 2020!  (Read 3617 times)

Heathen

• View Profile

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Christian makes it for 2020!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 07:19:13 AM »
Thanks for that - I was looking when I saw the drafts live on Sky. Well done Wadey.
Let me tell you something cucumber

GD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 08:20:26 AM »
Really pleased for him, its a massive achievement to get this far.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 09:40:38 AM »
Does that mean he's in the main squad?

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »
I thnk you're misreading the post.  He's just welcoming the new 2020 draft picks.

GD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 01:51:54 PM »
ah, yes did misread then, I though he had made the main squad for the next season

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »
I thought under that International Pathway Program he could only be that 'extra' player in the draft for one year, but, as such, couldn't play. Normally, draft players can be moved into the squad at any time, and, whilst they announce the draft at this time, the playing squad is announced from the draft much closer to the first match?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:46:15 AM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 08:31:57 AM »
Did they draft any new players in his position?

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 09:16:22 AM »
Bills had added Taiwan Jones in Free Agency pre-draft, then drafted a RB in the 3rd round and have since signed another RB as an undrafted free agent, so Christian has plenty of competition! Thankfully for him he is still guaranteed a place on their practice squad if he doesn't make the 53 man roster. Matchday squad consists of the 53 plus 2 from the practice squad so he is still in with a chance of an NFL debut this next season.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »
I think apart from LBND, I miss watching Christian play more than any other of our former players. I used to get so wound up when workmates used to write him off as a one trick pony and not worthy of an England place. A truly scintillating player to watch.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 01:24:08 PM »
WaspsupNorth,
You're more knowledgeable than I am, but wouldn't they use him on Special Teams as a punt returner, rather than as a regular Wide Receiver?

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 02:47:25 PM »
I'm sure punt returner is an option for Christian. Key to being a good punt returner is decision making - do I catch the ball & return it (start running), call for a fair catch (ball becomes "dead") or is it advantageous to leave it alone?  The decision is all about understanding the state of the game, field position, etc. which I'm sure Christian could learn quickly in his new environment.  We all know what he can do when he starts running with a ball but, from the snippets I've seen of him, he does have to learn how to use his blockers rather than just run on his own.

I don't see him as a wide receiver as that is a lot about catching QB passes whilst being marked by corner backs who are much bigger than CW. On this point I would have to agree with EJ (a first) that Christian is probably not big enough.

As a RB though he can get the ball in space either by being handed it or by receiving a short pass and this is where his undoubted potential lies.  I only wish he had signed for my beloved Jets :) 

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »
I am routing for him. Just as within rugby he seems to attract expert opinion that is inclined to write him off or give him little hope. My favorite was the lazy 'not good under high ball' that seemed to be based on height. He was excellent under the high ball, and most of us were happy for teams to kick the ball to him!

I miss the sense of anticipation and the stir in the crowd when he got the ball. I also find myself wondering why Jonny May got a decent chance, but Wade got captured and then left out. He absolutely took the p155 out of the the Barbars in the uncapped game, what else did they want him to do?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 07:19:27 PM »
He absolutely took the p155 out of the the Barbars in the uncapped game, what else did they want him to do?
There is more to a team than individual brilliance otherwise Cips would have more caps. Many bemoan what they know but not what they don't know.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
I'm sure punt returner is an option for Christian. Key to being a good punt returner is decision making - do I catch the ball & return it (start running), call for a fair catch (ball becomes "dead") or is it advantageous to leave it alone?  The decision is all about understanding the state of the game, field position, etc. which I'm sure Christian could learn quickly in his new environment.  We all know what he can do when he starts running with a ball but, from the snippets I've seen of him, he does have to learn how to use his blockers rather than just run on his own.

I don't see him as a wide receiver as that is a lot about catching QB passes whilst being marked by corner backs who are much bigger than CW. On this point I would have to agree with EJ (a first) that Christian is probably not big enough.

As a RB though he can get the ball in space either by being handed it or by receiving a short pass and this is where his undoubted potential lies.  I only wish he had signed for my beloved Jets :)

Probably a bit much to expect he could turn into a slot receiver a la Welker or Edelman? Not sure they're much bigger than Wadey