Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No sport in France until September  (Read 3275 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
No sport in France until September
« on: April 28, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
The French government have decreed today. (Including behind closed doors).

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No sport in France until September
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:07:52 PM »
Sadly that puts paid to the Marseilles finals, never mind the semis or the quarters!  Eventually the players everywhere will be given a nice long summer off and we can all start again (20/21) in September.   

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »
I cannot see the UK being any different - there would have to be exceptional reasons as to why.  Can of worms as to how move on - Euro qualifications? Titles awarded? The only salvation is that Sarries are relegated, so the biggest potential pitfall is avoided.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 04:21:05 PM »
Sadly that puts paid to the Marseilles finals, never mind the semis or the quarters!  Eventually the players everywhere will be given a nice long summer off and we can all start again (20/21) in September.

The ERC have stated the finals will be in October. We will see.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
I just don’t see how they can schedule them in. There is going to be one hell of a dogfight between the VI Nations, ERC and the Top14, Prem and the Celts over this.

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 05:37:50 PM »
If the top brains on the planet can’t work out when it will be safe, anti body tests, vaccines, second wave etc etc, but the ERC, yeah should be good by October let’s do it then. They should let the WHO know it’ll be fine and not to worry too much.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:44:39 PM »
I think the arse-coverers are in charge in France.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
Premiership Rugby resigned to crowd-less fixtures until 2021 with plans tested for behind-closed-doors matches

Innovations being trialled include remote-camera technology as the clubs remain determined to finish this season in its entirety

ByGavin Mairs, CHIEF RUGBY UNION CORRESPONDENT
28 April 2020 • 4:17pm

Premiership Rugby is fast-tracking innovations – including remote-camera technology – and planning the logistics for playing behind closed doors, with a growing acceptance that crowds are unlikely to return until next year.

It is understood that clubs are determined to complete this season’s Premiership campaign in full, even if it means finishing in November. “We want to play every game. If we have to do it behind closed doors, we will do it but only if we get the right testing regimes in place,” said a senior Premiership source.

“Everyone wants to finish the season. The clubs would rather finish it in October and November than write it off. We would then have around a four-week break and find a way of playing a little longer into next year.”
Nine rounds of this season’s league remain, as well as semi-finals and the final, with no formal indication of when action will be allowed to resume.

However, contingency plans to return, possibly as early as late June, are understood to be at an advanced stage, based on the Government relaxing social-distancing measures early next month. There is an agreement that players will require a minimum of four-weeks of contact training before games can resume.

Testing players for Covid-19 will also be key, although clubs want to proceed only if there is no drain on NHS resources. If it is feasible, players would be tested before coming back into training camp and then be quarantined in hotels ahead of a round of matches.

It is likely that each round of six matches will be played at one stadium across a weekend. Three rounds will be played midweek to complete the league the end of August, with full squad rotation to protect player welfare.

“There is a hope that if the Government relaxes social distancing next month, even if it is the end of the May, it means we can bring the players back into impact training in June,” said a Premiership source.

“They will need four weeks of contact training so the screening and testing protocols need to be in place by then. We could look at getting started by the start of July, which means we could finish the season by the end of August.

“It is a dynamic model but the intention is to play every game. The clubs and players want to play every game. No one seems to be interested in awarding points for fixtures, that would be an act of last resort.

“We won’t do anything unless it is safe, we won’t do anything that takes resources away from front-line services. We know where we sit in the hierarchy of important things.

“There is an acceptance that squads will be rotated to ensure that the selection process is appropriate for each player. No one in a club wants to do anything to put any athlete in harm’s way.

“We could have all 12 teams in quarantine and locked down and play six games over one weekend. It is one of a number of quite different ideas.”

The contingency plans could also lead to a revolution in broadcasting, with host broadcaster BT Sport considering fitting out stadiums with up to 15 remotely controlled cameras to remove the need for film crews. With no crowds as a backdrop, it is thought that new camera angles are being considered.

Several stadiums, including Twickenham and the Ricoh Arena, are under consideration as locations, with the key criteria being broadband connectivity and on-site medical facilities.

“One of the things that has been worked on with BT is not having to deploy camera crews,” said a source. “They will rig up the stadium with around 12 to 15 remote control cameras and then run the whole production from their master control room in Stratford. It requires a lot of broadband connectivity. Sometimes crises lead to technology jumps. BT seem keen to make it happen.”

Clubs are considering options to make matches accessible to supporters while retaining social distancing. Leicester are thought to be considering plans to set up a drive-in cinema-style facility for supporters to watch games on a big screen in car parks at Welford Road.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 12:47:37 PM »
I always applaud innovation. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. If the Ricoh is to be used I just hope that the 'magic carpet' does not flap around as it did in the most recent games there.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »
... If the Ricoh is to be used I just hope that the 'magic carpet' does not flap around as it did in the most recent games there.

It had been doing that for a few games. With the lack of playing, I do hope that Wasps have taken the opportunity to get the pitch fixed.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 10:15:59 AM »
... If the Ricoh is to be used I just hope that the 'magic carpet' does not flap around as it did in the most recent games there.

It had been doing that for a few games. With the lack of playing, I do hope that Wasps have taken the opportunity to get the pitch fixed.

You would hope with the lack of use, rain and sun that the root system on the new sections has strengthened significantly.  With no concerts this year this summer should get it in good condition for rugby in the new year.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 04:40:03 PM »
Champions Cup and Challenge Cup quarter-finals delayed until September at earliest - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52489878

Bonkers