Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps move step closer to a return to action  (Read 1492 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Wasps move step closer to a return to action
« on: June 02, 2020, 11:57:25 AM »
Report in Cov Tel from Bobby Bridge.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-move-step-closer-return-18348462

Oh yes please. God, I've missed my rugby. I thought our form would have got us into the top 4. We were playing some really exciting rugby.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps move step closer to a return to action
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »
While this is welcome and encouraging, there is still a long way to go.  Premiership football clubs I think returned to full contact training last week after a week or two of "socially distanced" training, and are expecting to resume competitive matches in 2 weeks' time.  The down time has been similar to a typical off season, with a shorter pre-season programme and no warm up friendlies.  Less than ideal preparation in a sport that involves much less contact than rugby union.  I would expect rugby's return to be far more protracted as there will be degrees of contact that would have to be slowly phased in, eventually building towards mauls and scrums; to say nothing of the physical requirements on the players themselves and the need to get themselves into the kind of shape they need to be in after such a lengthy lay off.  Earliest I can envisage a resumption would be back end of July if clubs return to training immediately.  More likely well into August though.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 04:54:29 PM »
What on earth does full contact training mean in football? From what I’ve seen, the nearest they get is when one player gets close to another and then one of them goes down like he’s been shot through the ankle. The only other contact I’ve seen is when a collection of spoilt brats get all up in the referees face.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 10:42:29 AM »
From what I've seen & heard on social media etc most players have never felt in better shape, they have been training without getting battered every week in match situations, whilst that means they may not be match fit, they should be in a very healthy physical condition.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 10:51:55 AM »
Anyone watching Malakai's messages would certainly agree. Monster.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:53:45 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 12:07:44 PM »
There certainly does seem to be a consensus among the players that the break has given their bodies a chance to recuperate. I think back to what Jimmy said when he returned from that long layoff - he felt as fit as he had been for a very long time.