Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Oh my! Article about Myners Report  (Read 1652 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Oh my! Article about Myners Report
« on: June 07, 2020, 09:22:36 AM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Oh my! Article about Myners Report
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 09:55:07 AM »
I thin the most shocking part was how much he charged to do the report in the first place.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »
He makes a good point about running a league via a committee, which is then made up of those taking part in that league. Its never going to work

Affluent bosses (not just rugby) will always try to bend the rules to suit themselves and when they have a say in what happens if they are caught is frankly non-sensical.

If those owners want to push the boundaries then they will but they now know the consequencies of being caught are going to be more severe.

I haven't got a problem with Wray, Craig etc spending their own cash on their rugby clubs.. but in both cases both of their stadiums are linked to organistions that have controlling rights of what happens at those locations.

On a side note.. I didn't realise Tony Rowe wasn't the actual owner of chiefs.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:52:09 PM »
I wonder which Salary negligent club manager/owner this is 😒

We had one manager of a club whose opening line in our interview was, 'I've invented nearly all the ways of getting around the salary cap in the past and I'm very confident that, whatever you'll recommend, I'll still be able to find ways around it'. What shocked me was his pride at having done it. It was rather boastful. It led me to writing a paragraph in the report that if you think you can find lawyers to help you find loopholes then you are absolutely missing the point.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »
Bath would be my bet.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 07:39:48 PM »
Sounds more like something you might hear from Sale.
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »
What I can never get my head round is that if, as an owner, you've discovered a loophole and knowingly operated outside of the cap how can you take any satisfaction in winning. You've basically just cheated. You've not won on a level playing field. I guess some ego's just are that big.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »
What I can never get my head round is that if, as an owner, you've discovered a loophole and knowingly operated outside of the cap how can you take any satisfaction in winning. You've basically just cheated. You've not won on a level playing field. I guess some ego's just are that big.

I accept what you're saying, but as devil's advocate, there's cheating at all levels on and off the field.

At lower levels you play games against teams who may have ringers in their squad.

There's always 'dark arts' occurring in the scrum. Dark arts = cheating

I'm the amateur era there were endless stories of clubs finding ways to pay their best players

Finding loopholes in a salary cap will feel like the next logical step to some when there's always been an element of finding every edge possible