Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 2091 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: June 14, 2020, 08:28:12 AM »
Nowt apart from a little sneering that Wasps are losing players.
Lots on money and the lack of.
Good middle spread on Shaun in France.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »
Sneering how? We've lost a single player that I'd expect to see in the first 23 if everyone was fit and available. Did it mention other clubs losing a load more?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:01:04 AM »
What would they be saying about Tigers? How many players have left? A significant number I believe.

Irrespective of those who are leaving us, we have the same core squad as when the season was suspended. We were improving and I see no reason as to why we should not continue on that upward curve when the resumption happens.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
The players that are leaving.. Nemo for example.. I'm presuming he won't be available to finish the season (if it ever restarts) with us?

His contract probably ends this month?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:11:59 AM »
Agreed. The nuances of positions make general comparisons difficult but for me if you look at it in the round of those who would feasibly be part of the 23 we've lost Carr, Johnson and Matthews. Coming in we have Mills. Not sure Edwards will immediately be in the 23. But we also have Vellacott returning who for me will push Robson really hard. We have the likes of West, Umaga, Alo, Oghre, Barbeary, Wilson etc developing and we also have a fit Gopperth and a reinvigorated Sopoaga along with securing Willis and Young. I think we're in great shape.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
The players that are leaving.. Nemo for example.. I'm presuming he won't be available to finish the season (if it ever restarts) with us?

His contract probably ends this month?

There was a comment from Pudsey (kit man) on Twitter that Nemo had been into Broadstreet to collect his belongings, so I am assuming he has finished completely with Wasps.
It was fine when I left it.....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 11:07:50 AM »
Agreed. The nuances of positions make general comparisons difficult but for me if you look at it in the round of those who would feasibly be part of the 23 we've lost Carr, Johnson and Matthews. Coming in we have Mills. Not sure Edwards will immediately be in the 23. But we also have Vellacott returning who for me will push Robson really hard. We have the likes of West, Umaga, Alo, Oghre, Barbeary, Wilson etc developing and we also have a fit Gopperth and a reinvigorated Sopoaga along with securing Willis and Young. I think we're in great shape.

As much of a legend as Ash is, he's not been threatening the 1st 23 this past season, except in instances of lots of injuries.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 11:52:04 AM »
I think it’s perhaps how we’ve announced our leavers. It’s been spread out and made more personal by thanking them for their service (which I think is a really classy way of doing it).
Where as other club have just released a list in one media announcement and not made much of it. So I think people are thinking more of ours as there’s one announced everyday so appears to be a bigger deal.

I agree, I don’t think we’ve lost any starters other than Carr. But it’s still a loss for the club so in a slow week with virtually no rugby news, TRP was always going to jump on it and spin it as a big deal.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
In the current climate and with a reduced salary cap around the corner, you have 2 options

1) reduce players wages
2) reduce the number of players in the squad
(The third option is a bit of both)

The first option is already igniting issues between clubs and players, so there's an argument that reducing squad size is an easier target to achieve - at least in the short term (minutes played per player is a separate, longer discussion)

I feel that ash would likely have been on good money considering his current squad status (and typically I'd say he's worth every penny considering what he adds off the pitch and to the community), however these are exceptional circumstances.

With the likes of Matthews, ash, Carr and potentially shields leaving we may find that we don't need to reduce players wages much or at all too allow us to fit under the new cap.
That may prove beneficial over the next couple of seasons

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »
If Shields is indeed training with the squad (as reported on here during the week) then it suggests he is with us for next season.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 01:51:29 PM »
Let's hope Shields stays. If he goes, with his ability to cover 5,6 or 8, back row starts to look stretched. I think he'll stay - he has been outstanding for me.