Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Policing the ruck.  (Read 1061 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Policing the ruck.
« on: June 14, 2020, 11:57:20 AM »
Yesterday I watch Gatland's Chiefs lose in the last minute to a drop goal by Gatlands's son!

Now as I didn't have an emotional tie to either team I was able to watch the match with a more nuanced eye, and the thing that stood out was the more strict refereeing of the breakdown. Particularly someone who was acting as a jackal seemed to be awarded penalty for the tackled player holding on to the ball much quicker than we have seen in the past. Also the ref was more inclined to award penalties against attacking players going off their feet.

If this is what the new WR laws mean I think Willis and Young are going to really come into their own in the future.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Policing the ruck.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
Almost one hundred penalties the commentators said. Although a very fast game it was incredibly stop start.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Policing the ruck.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »
The commentary was interesting too. What they emphasised was that it was just the Laws, as written, but with no leeway for "peeing" around at the breakdown

I don;t believe it will carry on being a problem - I've always thought that Mitre 10 games were reffed like that anyway (ref calling "release" "roll" "ruck" etc really early) and it led to a quick game. But it seemed at M10 level, they had adapted. The commentators were essentially saying that the players would adapt and that there was an element of "over" enthusiasm due to the break before the games.

I do think it will settle and still provide a quick game.