Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Left behind?  (Read 2569 times)

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Left behind?
« on: June 16, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
There are various reports that a number of clubs are signing players to longer term contracts to get round the salary cap reductions. Any pre-existing contract will not be counted in full when the cap is reduced and so clubs are signing up players quickly. The reports also say that not all clubs are doing this and name Wasps as one club that isn’t and this could lead to a two tier league.
This sounds a bit depressing for Wasps fans partly because yet again loop holes are being found to get round salary caps but also that Wasps are potentially going to find themselves in the second tier of the league.
However I don’t think we need to worry too much. There is only this one window to pull off this loophole and there are risks involved. You can only do it for players that you already have and so it won’t be a tool to recruit players from clubs like Wasps. There is a reason that long term contracts have been avoided in rugby and that is because they are risky. There is sadly a high chance that the players signed to long term contracts might be long term injuries and so taking up cap space while not playing. Long term contracts also narrow your flexibility when it comes to strengthening your squad.
 When players currently signed come to renewal they will all whether next year or 3 years time find there is less money on the table.
By Wasps backing younger players with big upsides we might find ourselves in the 2nd tier next season but I think we could quickly return to the top half but without the risk and the money spent.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Left behind?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
The cap lifts back to 'normal' in a couple of years as the reduction is only temporary. So what would be the point? Longer term contracts mean you could be stuck with a broken or unwanted  player.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »
Right now I'm very happy with wasps frontline players and backups in many positions. From what I've heard we shouldn't have too many more leavers either ( if any and not frontline).

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:25:23 AM »
Sorry, by next year you do mean 2021-22 right? Because relegation has been sorted this year. It was kinda big news at the time.

This surely takes the prize though; season hasn't even finished yet and we already have people worrying about relegation next year

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »
I'd argue we're in a better position now.

You look at clubs like Gloucester and wonder how the hell they can possibly do well next season.

We don't seem to have the drama we had before last season with the massive exodus. Hopefully we maintain squad stability, coaching staff stability, team confidence and keep scoring tries! As a team we're definitely in a better state than other clubs.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »
Sorry, by next year you do mean 2021-22 right? Because relegation has been sorted this year. It was kinda big news at the time.

This surely takes the prize though; season hasn't even finished yet and we already have people worrying about relegation next year

Where do I mention relegation? I have no worries about relegation, just that we might not be able to compete at the very top of other clubs are effectively ignoring the salary cap.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »
I would suspect that clubs are signing up players they want to keep, but that's nothing new, didn't Sale give the Curry brothers 5 year contracts a while ago?
Given the market for the very top players will likely not change much, it may be in the clubs interest to get the ones they want tied down for as long as possible
Its also possible they may even be able to pay reduced wages now that will increase towards the end of the contract, thus easing the immediate situation?

I wouldn't be too worried yet by idle speculation on the length & nature of contracts, something which isn't normally fully in the public domain anyway...

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 12:00:15 PM »
I am not at all bothered by this. We now have the right organic growth structure within the club. Gutfeel says we will finish Top 6 at least this season and challenge for Top 4 next.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
I actually think we're ahead of the curve. It's cyclical though - in a very broad analysis the cycle is develop players, peak with those players, have to pay them more, reach the cap, develop players etc. We are between 1 and 2 I think.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 08:12:14 PM »
I suspect that the stage of the coaching team matters more than anything.
Stale and repetitive - the 27 yr old may well move on.
New and more challenging - stay for the ride.
There are many other factors, but good players want to be challenged. It is not just about the wages.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 10:01:45 PM »
Yeah, let em do what they want, the delta between the two can be closed with a cohesive well coached team.
Listened to Lambert from the RPA on the 5Live rugby pod, bit embarrassing IMO, took about 3000 words to say that the players want to remain on their money, hiding it behind words like dialogue, game sustainability and communication, but badly hidden.
France - 30%, Aus - 50%+, NZ - 50%, UK..apparently don't understand WHY they should be taking less. I emphasise 'why' given its said in the sense that they haven't heard of Covid, haven't realised that all cashflow has dried up and also not knowing that clubs are at multi million pound losses annually. Cringeworthy.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 07:16:14 AM »
There have been a significant number of re-signings at the club recently, if these are on genuine terms rather than cap loophole terms then it bodes well for the commitment and optimism of those players to the club many of whom, like Jimmy, could have probably got improved deals elsewhere.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
Sale players plus backroom staff have all agreed to permanent salary reductions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53076721

Given the timing of the swathe of new deals at Wasps, I suspect terms offered would have been based on where they were financially at that time, ie with the repercussions of COVID firmly in their thinking.  Let's face it, agents aren't going to get much joy touting round for more money elsewhere at the moment.