Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Contract Breakdown at Tigers and Irish?  (Read 8840 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Contract Breakdown at Tigers and Irish?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »
Genge posting mischievous emojis on Twitter, I suspect it is a wind-up and he is staying put...however I suspect a ton of Tigers fans are melting down at this very moment.

https://twitter.com/EllisGenge

First a croissant, then some sushi....

I think the issue with Irish is that they were pretty stretched financially with the galacticos they acquired, with the CV-19 crisis and it's impact, they cannot sustain that in the midterm, now the impact will really bite with the downward cap revision. However, there is far less coverage of their plight.
It was fine when I left it.....

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 05:21:45 PM »
It  appears that Genge and Ford have signed to remain.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »
Just had an email from London Irish entitled "Clearance Sale - Everything Must Go!".

I think it is just the stuff from the shop though.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
Telusa Veainu, Kyle Eastmond, Greg Bateman, Noel Reid and Jordan Taufua gone with Manu.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 08:11:57 PM »
Neil's, I saw it rumoured, is it confirmed?

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 08:13:49 PM »
BBC official: Leicester Tigers: Manu Tuilagi one of six players set to be released - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53256761

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 08:21:20 PM »
Christ. Mental the level of quality leaving Leicester there.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »
Amazed Eastmond is playing hard ball. He's very expensive at any wage for three or four games a season. This could get really messy in the broader sense for the players as at the moment supply seems to outstripping demand. As well as this Tigers talent going on the market the release by Bath of the likes of Brew and Homer has almost gone unnoticed.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 08:33:21 PM »
An LIrsh supporting mate just told me they are apparently losing 24 players... No idea what that really means, who, or if it's real, but sounds scary

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 08:36:48 PM »
Amazed Eastmond is playing hard ball. He's very expensive at any wage for three or four games a season. This could get really messy in the broader sense for the players as at the moment supply seems to outstripping demand. As well as this Tigers talent going on the market the release by Bath of the likes of Brew and Homer has almost gone unnoticed.
Agreed but i detect bluffs going on here, Tigers gave them a second date of the 6th or 2nd of July, can't remember which. It seems Tigers players have yet to understand the worlds situation yet.
I believe Homer is off to Japan and this was touted even before Covid. Brew is a solid player if unexciting, surprised if someone doesn't step in somewhere.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 08:38:26 PM »
An LIrsh supporting mate just told me they are apparently losing 24 players... No idea what that really means, who, or if it's real, but sounds scary
Where are 24 players going to go, the world is that much smaller overnight..interesting to watch this one and if true proves that a strategy of playing utter mercenaries isn't the way to go.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 08:43:05 PM »
When I look at a lot of the Tigers contingent, they were either away, injured or fringe. Irish were clearly paying big wages to players of the Naholo level, Naholo played once, scoring a single try. There is no doubt they are quality players, but as the game is re-imagined then a strong squad underpinned by a great academy feed is probably the way to go. Wasps either by design or necessity have followed this route, we look in good shape and I am genuinely excited about the future. Can't wait to see them playing again, as the team were on fire before the enforced break. Chiefs (love them or loathe them, and never great to watch) have peppered strong squad principles with names like Hogg, this has returned results.
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 09:38:47 PM »
Agree with that RBB. In terms of us I think it's by design rather than luck that we've moved to a sustainable academy fed model. I think we'd have gone that way Covid or not. The other advantage we have is our myriad of diverse income streams. I'm confident we are being guided by extremely savvy individuals at the helm and as a result exciting times lie ahead.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 10:20:45 PM »
London Irish have put three season long season tickets on sale today. Doesn't sound good at all.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 10:50:15 PM »
Tigers were offering something similar, seems a decent idea for injection of immediate cashflow