Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Contract Breakdown at Tigers and Irish?  (Read 8199 times)

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Contract Breakdown at Tigers and Irish?
« on: June 30, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-8472187/England-trio-Manu-Tuilagi-George-Ford-Ellis-Genge-face-uncertain-futures.html

Sounds like Tigers and Irish are also in absolute state... players having issues with contracts and refusing to sign..

Veaniu, Lavinini, Ford, Talafua, Genge and Tuilagi all rumoured to be heading out.

TBH even if we don't recruit anyone else, at least we aren't in this state if true.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Contract Breakdown at Tigers and Irish?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
I suspect it will all be settled today for Ford, Genge and Tuilagi [?Youngs]. Playing for England is worth 200k per annum plus the kudos; the other players will presumably have offers from abroad.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 10:52:52 AM »
I would tend to agree BackDoc.. RFU and Tigers will do anything to keep those key Leicester (English) players in house. Shame for tigers and Irish if true though... teams devastated by indecisiveness... at least with us it sounds like the size of the cut was made very evident early on and it was bought into until we could get cash through the door.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 11:00:33 AM »
I wouldn't be upset to pick up Genge. Don't think the rest add enough, and would be actively against Lavinini.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:20:10 AM »
I wouldn't be upset to pick up Genge. Don't think the rest add enough, and would be actively against Lavinini.

My thoughts exactly, Genge already a great prop and young enough for further improvement

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »
Something is clearly more than a little wrong at Tigers. But I imagine all clubs have an issue with this to a greater or lesser extent.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 12:35:42 PM »

Do we actually want a stroppy b*stard to be added to our squad?

Modified

Sorry missed out putting 'expensive' in front of 'stroppy'.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:41:17 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »
Pretty much all clubs have forced their players to take a pay cut by now. Having been told there's no money and the club will go bankrupt if they can't save money. How will those players feel if it turns out their club was saving a wodge of cash to give to a player from another club who refused to take a pay cut?

I imagine whoever signs the Leicester players might have some trouble on their hands.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 12:57:20 PM »

Do we actually want a stroppy b*stard to be added to our squad?

Modified

Sorry missed out putting 'expensive' in front of 'stroppy'.

IF he bought into what I believe is our team’s values and ethos I would be happy with him joining us.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »
I wouldn’t expect Leicester Tigers players to accept sizeable pay cuts without an attempt to mitigate their losses.

It’s possible that Tigers are prepared to make an eleventh hour compromise.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 01:01:53 PM »
I don't know if he's stroppy. He just seems very realistic. Rugby is a business, playing rugby is a job. There's no "loyalty" there's employment. Definitely a marmite character, but I rarely listen to him and think "No, you're wrong."

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
The added issue they now have at Tigers is that between the players and the club they have screwed themselves over vs the new salary cap.

With none of these players signing the new contracts yet (and with all the press a 'backdated contract' is no longer an option) they have missed the existing contract loophole on the 18th June therefore they will be costing the club even more towards the salary cap. Unless of course the club cave and agree to continue with their current contracts, which will then royally piss off the rest of the squad.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »
interesting legal take on it here:

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2020/06/12/permanent-pay-cuts-reducing-salary-cap-premiership-rugby-rpa/

PRL & some of the clubs could be in for some legal difficulties if that's all correct

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 02:25:15 PM »
I don't know if he's stroppy. He just seems very realistic. Rugby is a business, playing rugby is a job. There's no "loyalty" there's employment. Definitely a marmite character, but I rarely listen to him and think "No, you're wrong."
So whats different to him and the Wasps boys that appear to have accepted the situation then, apart from the 250k a year extra that Genge will earn. Rugby is only a business while there remains an employer(s). I love to eat my cake too but it's not always possible.
I suspect a lot of the Tiger malaise is down to this man and he is divisive IMO, I'm with Ross, not someone i'd want in my squad.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 02:40:56 PM »
this WRPA statement seems very sensible, it does seem that PRL have handled things very badly in England.

https://www.wrpa.co.uk/post/wrpa-gives-views-on-pay-cuts-from-the-players-perspective-after-long-term-cuts-are-mooted