Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter supporters petition for club to drop 'racist' Native American branding.  (Read 24800 times)

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The problem is that you have to keep on paying the 'wokegeld'.
So if Exeter dropped all Native American iconography, what would they then have to do? What are you suggesting the "woke" people would demand?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Just wait for sponsors to start expressing concern and then they'll turn.

Their main sponsor and the one that has allowed them to show a profit consistently is SW Comms / Tony Rowe.  Not sure they'll be going anywhere any time soon.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
This is not a reference to Exeter; it is a reference to the rest of society.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
This is not a reference to Exeter; it is a reference to the rest of society.
so it does or doesn't apply in this case?

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I call your microaggression.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Exeter have sort of agreed that having the mascot is probably not the best thing.. but on the flip side aren't budging on removing similar branding?? Errr?

I can almost imagine some accountants have been crunching numbers over the last few days

"Nope.. its going to cost us too much money"

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Exeter have sort of agreed that having the mascot is probably not the best thing.. but on the flip side aren't budging on removing similar branding?? Errr?

I can almost imagine some accountants have been crunching numbers over the last few days

I don't know about the money side of things, but yes it is strange they are retiring the mascot but leaving the rest.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Not sure that would be the case.
lets say they change their name, so ALL merchandise will need to be updated, they would be having new shirts for the next season probably anyway, so a lot of people would want to buy the new shirt.
Conversely those who don't want it to change would be buying up unsold stock of the old ones.

win - win, I would have thought?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Not sure that would be the case.
lets say they change their name, so ALL merchandise will need to be updated, they would be having new shirts for the next season probably anyway, so a lot of people would want to buy the new shirt.
Conversely those who don't want it to change would be buying up unsold stock of the old ones.

win - win, I would have thought?

Just think of how much stuff the logo appears on.. its not just mechandise (which they might have a small warehouse full of waiting to be sold)..

Heathen

• View Profile
Costs them nothing to drop the chant!

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
Things like this should rise above money.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Costs them nothing to drop the chant!

But they won't!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The only way to be rid of  the feathers and caterwauling is to hope that  Exeter will realize just how offensive the fancy dress and howling really are .....  but sadly that could take years

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
That fecking chant should be banned.
Maybe that’s something individual clubs should now consider. It would be perfectly reasonable and within the rights of a club to put restrictions on entry and conduct at their venues.  I doubt any club would allow regular admission to fans in blackface, and no reasonable club would tolerate the monkey chants that have plagued football terraces, regardless of claims made by some fans that racist chants are a form of respect… which is pretty much identical to Exeter’s current argument.

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

I don't know about the money side of things, but yes it is strange they are retiring the mascot but leaving the rest.
This is what surprised me most about their announcement. I thought they would drop (which they did) the clear mockery foam mascot and announce a consultation period, while in fact letting the dust settle, adjusting the finances and seeing how things pan out. From a purely public relations point of view, they’ve placed their flag on a very vulnerable hilltop with the ‘it’s highly respectful’ claim. That kind of hubris came back to bite the Washington Redskins after stating they would “never, you can print that in all caps” change the name or brand.