Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Refs are there to officiate not coach  (Read 1831 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Refs are there to officiate not coach
« on: July 05, 2020, 08:13:48 AM »
Romain Poite was right – Referees are there to enforce the rules, not coach players who can’t be bothered to obey them
Stuart Barnes
Sunday July 05 2020, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

It wasn’t one of rugby’s great moments. No soaring drop goal to clinch a World Cup, just an awful act of indecision on the part of the far-from-famous Waratahs (New South Wales) wing James Ramm. The end result was a tackle by a chasing (Queensland) Reds centre that took the wind out of him. That’s all.

Yet there was no more telling incident in the first game of Super Rugby AU (Australia’s five-team internal tournament) than the wing’s embarrassing change of mind. Briefly, the excellent Reds scrum half, Tate McDermott, kicked downfield from deep in his own half. A defending hand made fleeting contact with the ball.

Ramm may or may not have noticed. So Nic Berry, the referee, decided to offer verbal assistance. As Ramm picked up the rolling ball in his own 22, I heard a piercing scream, “touched in flight”, and then another urgent “touched in flight”. The referee was coaching the wing. All but telling him that if he kicked to touch the Reds would have a lineout from where he kicked the ball away.

That is not his job. Ramm checked. He might well have been thinking of a clearance kick. Had he not seen the deflection upfield that would have been unfortunate but not as unpleasant as the tackle that cut him in two and directly earned the Waratahs a penalty.

Referees are not coaches. Romain Poite infamously pointed that out to Dylan Hartley and James Haskell as England suffered their ‘Stupid Sunday’ against Italy in 2017. “I’m sorry, I’m a referee not a coach,” he said in reference to England’s confusion at Italian ruck tactics. World Rugby would do well to send a copy of Poite’s comments to Berry and many other referees.

Berry was barking orders. It wasn’t on the ultra-polite level we have become used to in the United Kingdom. At least it wasn’t a case of first-name terms but again the familiar refrains were bleeding through the television speakers. “Stay there, Red”, when a player was thinking of straying off side.

Let him stray, penalise him. Punish players for misdemeanours. “Back foot”, another warning at the breakdown, and countless cries of “release the ball”.

The whole point of a zero-tolerance attitude at the breakdown is to emphasise that negativity will not be rewarded. As a broadcaster I was taught that we tend to speak three words a second. That is a second in which defences can reorganise. A second does not seem much but an extra second in attack enables a fly half to play flat and on the front foot. That second is a substantial advantage.

One of the consequences of young and superfit referees who have only been referees is their lack of understanding of what occurs on the other side of the whistle. Knowing the laws is not knowing the game. Berry, a former player who was forced into an unfortunate premature retirement by a series of concussions, should know better.

It was noticeable to see how often both teams rushed into offside positions in midfield. Sometimes the officials penalised them, on occasions they forced the attack back infield. With the tackle area not enforced rigidly, the game meandered into an exciting muddle.

The teams struggled with World Rugby’s new trial laws in the first few weeks in New Zealand but with the clarity of referee calls by week three, there was a big improvement in the shape of the game.

As for the Australian trial laws, the 50/22 kick, whereby a team can secure a lineout if they kick the ball from their own half and bounce it into touch in the opposition 22, was only twice seen. On neither occasion was it utilised as a way to force wings deep. If the offside line is properly refereed, the space will exist. Accurate refereeing, not gimmicks derived from league, should create space. We shall see.

We saw, for the first time, a drop-out from the goalline replacing five-metre scrums after players are held up over the tryline; this can only be from an Australian aversion to scrums. Michael Hooper carried the ball over his own line and was tackled. Instead of the scrum, where Queensland held advantage, New South Wales dropped out from their own 22. Thankfully these are only trial laws. The law — in this case— is an ass. So too referees who think themselves coaches.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Refs are there to officiate not coach
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:21:33 AM »
Barnes talks sense. In other words, because he agrees with me. I've thought for many seasons now that refs should just shut up and get on with reffing. If a player looks like he's intending to break the rules, then penalise him when he does. No warning, zero tolerance.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 09:25:13 AM »
Barnes talks sense. In other words, because he agrees with me. I've thought for many seasons now that refs should just shut up and get on with reffing. If a player looks like he's intending to break the rules, then penalise him when he does. No warning, zero tolerance.

Simply put. Totally agree.
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »
Barnes talks sense.

Is that the first recorded occasion on which those words have appeared on this site?  :)

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »
I have been an advocate of this for many years! Just hope it happens.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »
I don't mind refs giving warnings at the start of the match showing their standards of the game and letting the players know what they will/won't allow. But then ease off after the opening and then straight up penalize them. It doesn't really bother me.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »
Big difference between coaching at a ruck and informing all players that the ball has been touched in flight.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »
There was a game last season I recall when Wayne Barnes would continually shout “No!” Or “No! Don’t do that!” at the ruck or even use the players first name. And the whole game I thought that if the player was doing that already and he shouldn’t be, then it is already a penalty.
If a player gets a warning every time before he gets penalised then he’ll carry on doing it. Very frustrating.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 12:18:22 PM »
There was a game last season I recall when Wayne Barnes would continually shout “No!” Or “No! Don’t do that!” at the ruck or even use the players first name. And the whole game I thought that if the player was doing that already and he shouldn’t be, then it is already a penalty.
If a player gets a warning every time before he gets penalised then he’ll carry on doing it. Very frustrating.

Actually not that unusual from our referees. I honestly don't think that they will change. Sad.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
The more that Barnes etc chat to players using their first names (any name) the more they will get chat back. Long gone is the captain is the only one who can communicate with a ref.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 07:22:36 PM »
And refer to the ref as sir, if they want to speak to him!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
What a strange feeling it is to agree with Stuart Barnes......... :o :o

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 04:20:58 PM »
What a strange feeling it is to agree with Stuart Barnes......... :o :o

Yes somebody wanted to take my temperature yesterday when I voiced my agreement - strange days indeed.