Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting article on SH rugby at Weekend  (Read 1785 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Interesting article on SH rugby at Weekend
« on: July 06, 2020, 07:31:51 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/06/super-rugby-au-debut-highlights-new-zealands-ascendancy

The difference in viewing for Union and League in Aus is quite stark.
More reason why we should not pander to Southen Rugby.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Interesting article on SH rugby at Weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 08:25:38 AM »
'All Blacks halfback Aaron Smith stated recently the intense and physical New Zealand local derbies were beginning to take their toll on the players. New Zealand officials really do not want their players, particularly All Blacks, banging each other up every week in a high intensity competition for fear of incurring injuries.'

Welcome to the real world!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
Rugby Union in Oz has traditionally been 3rd (in terms of viewership) behind Ozzie rules and league but I believe it has fallen behind football now.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 06:33:59 AM »
I don't get this "pandering" accusation, surely it's in the interest of every supporter of Rugby Union to see as many flourishing and competitive teams as possible?

I get fed up with the football loving guys dismissing England's 2003 World Cup win and the Rugby World Cup in general by saying there's only half a dozen competitive teams who play in it.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 06:55:09 AM »
I don't get this "pandering" accusation, surely it's in the interest of every supporter of Rugby Union to see as many flourishing and competitive teams as possible?

I get fed up with the football loving guys dismissing England's 2003 World Cup win and the Rugby World Cup in general by saying there's only half a dozen competitive teams who play in it.

The "pander" is virtually everything we HAVE to do in the Northern Hemisphere is to benefit the SH teams/countries. We have to move to summer rugby to allow them to continue playing in their winter. They always instigate immediate law changes that we inevitably have to endorse. It is not a level playing field yet they are the failing teams in financial terms. We would do far better broadening the game in Europe in a meaningful way.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 07:15:59 AM »
The "pander" is virtually everything we HAVE to do in the Northern Hemisphere is to benefit the SH teams/countries. We have to move to summer rugby to allow them to continue playing in their winter. They always instigate immediate law changes that we inevitably have to endorse. It is not a level playing field yet they are the failing teams in financial terms. We would do far better broadening the game in Europe in a meaningful way.

Agreed!

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 09:41:09 PM »

Agreed!

Definitely NOT agreed.

Narrow minded self interest is exactly why Rugby Union hasn't grown at International level and why the European teams not playing in the Six Nations haven't made any inroads into Professionalism and why the Pacific Island teams are going backwards in terms of competing on the World stage.

If we don't all work together in raising the standard and popularity of Rugby Union then it will always be a Sport with very limited competitive nations.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 11:24:41 AM »
Agree with Coddy
We & the southern hemisphere teams need each other - and we also need further development in Europe. It isn't a choice of one or the other.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »
I don't think those views are contradictory.

Its perfectly possible for the global rugby scene to work more closely to grow the game without forcing the NH to dance to the tune of the SH.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here