Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Will Rowlands  (Read 6332 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Will Rowlands
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 12:29:59 AM »
As he indicates its over you have to think there is no loophole as previous with the rollover wording...opens a can of worms but time will tell

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »
I suspect loopholes will be found if Wales decide they need him.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2020, 09:39:44 AM »
Given the financial constraints on the WRU and regions, I'm wondering if the selection criteria will be shelved, especially seeing it was probably a requirement instigated by Gatland.

Its not as if Rowlands (presuming he lives in Warwickshire somewhere), is a 4 hour flight away from a Wales training camp.

I presume the criteria was brought in with the prospect (a few seasons ago) of a mass exodus of Welsh players to France, not players in the EPL who have Welsh lineage, who were already plying their trade in the EPL
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:44:24 AM by BG »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »
If no Welsh region offers him a competitive contract, then he can sign for Wasps and still be eligible for Wales.

Where did you read that?

Ages ago when they released the new qualifications details. If no Welsh region offers a competitive contract, the player is still available. Of course, what qualifies as competitive can be argued, but no offer is definitely not competitive.

If whoever the latest French club is to be throwing Euros around like confetti were to make a very generous offer to any Welsh player and the WRU/regions were unable to get close to that, then it stands that no Welsh region is offering a contract that is competitive against what is on the table elsewhere, so said player is free to take the money on offer and still qualify.  Makes a nonsense of the whole thing really.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »
If no Welsh region offers him a competitive contract, then he can sign for Wasps and still be eligible for Wales.

Where did you read that?

Ages ago when they released the new qualifications details. If no Welsh region offers a competitive contract, the player is still available. Of course, what qualifies as competitive can be argued, but no offer is definitely not competitive.

If whoever the latest French club is to be throwing Euros around like confetti were to make a very generous offer to any Welsh player and the WRU/regions were unable to get close to that, then it stands that no Welsh region is offering a contract that is competitive against what is on the table elsewhere, so said player is free to take the money on offer and still qualify.  Makes a nonsense of the whole thing really.

That all comes down to the definition of competitive.
If said French club offered a player €800k, but 5 other UK/European clubs are offering the same player £4-500k then it could be claimed £4-500k is competitive (if other players with similar experience and skills are on £4-500k), that could mean the €800k is excessive not competitive. Not sure how the legalities work on that.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
I've always had doubts as to whether national unions having more control/time of the players they choose to select actually leads to improved team performances.

The obvious example is SA who  had players taking part in the WC scattered across various leagues

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2020, 11:30:28 AM »
With such a short career Rugby players must in all honesty follow the money. If they are hell bent on playing for their country then they will cut their cloth to suit but those on the periphery have to get as much for their skills as they can. If they don't then injury tomorrow could curtail it all.
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2020, 08:24:53 PM »
I have lost touch with whether he is: staying with us; joining Dragons; or no decision as yet with all this speculation. Can someone enlighten me please.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »
I have lost touch with whether he is: staying with us; joining Dragons; or no decision as yet with all this speculation. Can someone enlighten me please.

He is under contract with Wasps so currently is still with us until the end of next season. However that may change!
Let me tell you something cucumber