Always a Wasp

Author Topic: RLWC 2021  (Read 2077 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
RLWC 2021
« on: July 21, 2020, 08:07:40 AM »
Australia v Scotland @ Ricoh on Friday 29th October in Rugby League World Cup

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: RLWC 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 08:42:17 AM »
Interesting to see how this is approached.with a crowd (or not).

Edit - Oops read that as this year.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:10:03 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 08:58:57 AM »
Interesting to see how this is approached.with a crowd (or not).

Its 2021 so a long way to go yet but tickets on sale this September so planning for crowds to be there

Some good pictures of the stadium / pitch from the launch

https://twitter.com/CovSport/status/1285472087826669570?s=19

https://twitter.com/CoventryBear/status/1285478819562913792?s=19

MarleyWasp

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 09:13:26 AM »
Having seen the reaction to Toronto Wolfpack withdrawing from the Super League season yesterday and seen today that only two matches in both the men and women's tournaments are being staged outside of the North of England, I can't help but think it doesn't reflect well on the sports ambitions.

Worth keeping an eye out on the Greek team. The federation managing the sport in Greece were found to have misused funds from the Rugby League International Federation a few years ago and thrown out, leading to players and clubs forming a new federation which the RLIF recognised instead. Unfortunately the Greek government did not and effectively outlawed the sport. Police have started turning up at domestic matches and arresting teams. They had to play the first few home games in secret, with neither side knowing the venue, just getting on a coach and being driven to a field in the mountains. They played the latter qualifying matches in London.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 09:40:30 AM »
Worth keeping an eye out on the Greek team. The federation managing the sport in Greece were found to have misused funds from the Rugby League International Federation a few years ago and thrown out, leading to players and clubs forming a new federation which the RLIF recognised instead. Unfortunately the Greek government did not and effectively outlawed the sport. Police have started turning up at domestic matches and arresting teams. They had to play the first few home games in secret, with neither side knowing the venue, just getting on a coach and being driven to a field in the mountains. They played the latter qualifying matches in London.

That wouldn't be out of place in a cold war spy novel!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 10:59:38 AM »

That wouldn't be out of place in a cold war spy novel!

I'm more intrigued that RL is played in Greece.. I'm presuming its mostly Ex-pats?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 11:06:05 AM »
I would imagine the Greek national team is made up of Australians with Greek immigrant parents. Much like the "Lebanon" team in a previous RLWC. I don't think many of them had ever been to Lebanon!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
I would imagine the Greek national team is made up of Australians with Greek immigrant parents. Much like the "Lebanon" team in a previous RLWC. I don't think many of them had ever been to Lebanon!

Ah.. I didn't think of that. Effectively 2nd Div/amateur RL players in Oz representing Greece or Lebanon.

The quote above does imply training or games do take place in Greece though.. with games being closed down by police.. or is this just a bit or journalist license embellishing the story

MarleyWasp

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 11:45:25 AM »
Quite a few of the Greek team were born in Greece. Some are from Australia or the UK. They even have a player who is half Samoan, half Greek.

The majority play for Greek clubs.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »
Rugby league is always on the margin in this country in financial & geographic terms. Long gone are the days when Welsh rugby union players like Dai Young went northto earn real money.
The Toronto team were always in trouble, starting from having to be based in the UK (north) playing away games because the Toronto weather was too cold. Then no furloughing in Canada & Billy j Williams had visa problems here.
In the meantime, the Wigan RL owner wants to buy the Wigan football team with whom they share a ground. So some ambition - but still up north.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 11:57:21 AM »
The quote above does imply training or games do take place in Greece though.. with games being closed down by police.. or is this just a bit or journalist license embellishing the story

It does appear that things have improved since they qualified and matches/training are able to go ahead on private fields, but this link shows the scale of the problem prior to qualification: https://twitter.com/GreekRL/status/1070303689083154432?s=19