Always a Wasp

Author Topic: WR proposal for Autumn international window 2020  (Read 1940 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
WR proposal for Autumn international window 2020
« on: July 23, 2020, 06:58:01 AM »
The World Rugby Executive Committee has today recommended a revised temporary 2020 international calendar with the express objective of optimising recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic for the betterment of the global game at all levels.

Seeking to reconcile the interests of the international game, the professional club game and player welfare, temporary windows have been determined following extensive and productive consultation between World Rugby, international competitions, national unions, their professional club competitions and International Rugby Players.

Recognising the importance of a balanced and shared compromise among all stakeholders, a temporary international window between 24 October and 5 December has been recommended. In the north, this window will accommodate the postponed men's and women's Six Nations matches at the end of October, a rest weekend on 7 November and a programme of international matches involving the Six Nations and invited teams hosted in Europe from 14 November through to 5 December.

With COVID-19 restrictions continuing to impact international travel and borders across southern hemisphere unions, on an exceptional basis The Rugby Championship 2020 will be hosted in full in a single country over a reduced six-week period between 7 November and 12 December. Special measures will be implemented to deal with any government-required quarantine period prior to the start of the competition.

The rescheduling of the domestic, European and international calendars will accommodate the ability for the professional clubs to have access to their star southern hemisphere international players for the completion of the postponed and rescheduled 2019/20 seasons at a time in which they would have ordinarily been on international duty in August and September.

The recommendation to temporarily change the Regulation 9 windows will be tabled at a virtual meeting of the World Rugby Council on 30 July. Subject to approval, the full schedule of matches will be announced by the respective union and international competition owners in due course. The current Regulation 9 windows will return to normal after 13 December.

All parties remain committed to continued dialogue regarding long-term men’s and women’s calendar reform that harmonises the international and club environments for the betterment of all.

From the Times :

Autumn return of rugby
Oct 24 Gallagher Premiership final
Six Nations Ireland v Italy

Oct 25 England v Barbarians

Oct 31 Six Nations Wales v Scotland,
Italy v England, France v Ireland

Nov 7-8 Week off in Europe

Nov 7-Dec 12
The Rugby Championship

Nov 14-Dec 5
Six Nations Plus competition, including Fiji and Georgia

Nov 20-22
New Premiership season begins
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:04:55 AM by Heathen »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: WR proposal for Autumn international window 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »
So in the event we make the Prem final no Minozzi?

That seems pretty brutal for international players.  I know they will all have had an extended break of over 5 months by the time the Prem resumes.  But then it will be 9 rounds of Premiership rugby plus play offs, European club knockout games, autumn internationals leading straight into the new domestic and European season and first Lions tour match on 3rd July through to the final test on 7th Aug.  And I imagine there'll be a 2021 6 Nations to squeeze in there somewhere too.

Sarries must be delighted to be able to put their feet up in the Championship for a season!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:33:27 AM »
Is the Six Nations Plus tournament replacing the usual AI's, and if so do the AI's get moved to March.. or will there be another 6 nations at that point?

The article mentions that World Rugby have to vote for an admentment to the International Window. I presume its the representatives of the national unions that will do so, which they obviously will becvause it benefits the unions.

I wonder how the French and EPL clubs feel about this.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »
There are no AIs as you know it  SH teams are not travelling North. So the powers that be have decided they need money and to do so they have arranged pointless matches in an elongated autumn schedule to knacker club players if they can get hold of them. There will be a 6N as normal in early 2021. Of course they do have to finish off the last one.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 11:20:15 AM »
It is a recipe for disaster as far as the Premiership and Top14 are concerned.

Of our squad we could lose Joe, Jack, Dan, Will, ZZ, Mozza - anyone else? Jacob?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 11:25:09 AM »
If we come out of that little lot with no injuries we will be very very lucky.

This whole scenario is bonkers with far too much rugby shoehorned into too short a period. Couple that with the Welsh not able to play at home and the Irish still quarantining UK citizens (a work around for sports teams will be in place but!).
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 09:03:33 PM »
And yet the alternative is?

Professional Sport needs money and the RFU and TV are the ones that generate it and without their input and influence the game is dead.

Let's be thankful that Eddie Jones doesn't rate any of our players.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 11:20:06 PM »
And yet the alternative is?

Professional Sport needs money and the RFU and TV are the ones that generate it and without their input and influence the game is dead.

Let's be thankful that Eddie Jones doesn't rate any of our players.

If no-one chooses to watch it on TV or can't afford to watch it then sponsors pull out because they can't see a ROI.

I doubt Sky or BT will be falling over themselves to try and secure 6 Nations Plus. which has little value and no meaning.

It might be that bad that the bbc have to air it as no-one else wants to.. a bit like gymnastics (Apologies RogerE)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 08:34:22 AM »

It might be that bad that the bbc have to air it as no-one else wants to.. a bit like gymnastics (Apologies RogerE)

Sorry to go O.T.

No need to apologise - I am of the opinion that Gymnastics shouldn't even be in the Olympics (any sport that can be decided by judging, rather than "higher, faster, further" shouldn't be in there - and that includes boxing).

During the Olympics all the TV stations reckon that Gymnastics is among the most watched of the sports, but outside of that bubble no-one watches it - I don't!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 09:28:21 AM »
Its an interesting point Roger, how many sports attract huge viewing figures when its part of something bigger, but when on their own, don't grab the imagination?

Most Olympic sports fall in to that category, for me I love the Tour de France, but any other big cycle race, even the Giro & the Vuelta just don't do it for me.

Strange isn't it?

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 09:36:51 AM »
I enjoy the classics too - the Paris -Roubaix is a hell of a bike race. 

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »
Its an interesting point Roger, how many sports attract huge viewing figures when its part of something bigger, but when on their own, don't grab the imagination?

Most Olympic sports fall in to that category, for me I love the Tour de France, but any other big cycle race, even the Giro & the Vuelta just don't do it for me.

Strange isn't it?

For the majority of viewers in this country, tennis only exists for 2 weeks in the middle of summer, and if it's not played on grass with everyone immaculately decked out in white, then it's just not worth bothering with.

And I will hold my own hands up to being absolutely hooked on the Ryder Cup every time, but pretty ambivalent towards golf at all other times.

While I still required a Sky subscription for rugby purposes I was able to follow county cricket quite closely.  Now, I'll watch international highlights, but my passing interest in the county game is not enough in itself to justify a Sky subscription.  I think club rugby is in much the same boat, where the bulk of the armchair punters out there have no interest beyond the international game, and that won't change while club rugby requires a subscription.  There is a tipping point somewhere, where the TV money is not enough to offset the heightened interest that could be generated by more exposure on free to air TV.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 11:44:59 AM »
My understanding is that the 6 Nations have collectively pulled their TV rights together with the intention of selling as one single package to one broadcaster, rather than individually selling them as had previously been the case. This was why England's matches were originally scheduled for 3.15pm, 5.30pm and 8pm, with Scotland having a 1pm game and Wales having a Sunday match.

It could be argued that Covid will drive the price down, but equally with restricted crowds it could make the demand greater. I've not heard who is likely to buy the package.