Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 3445 times)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Cricket
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 06:39:42 AM »
There are other Waspie bikers as the annual Ride to the Ricoh organised by Chilham will testify to.

I've rode to the Motor GP in Le Mans France and a World MX round South of La Rochelle.

I've not been to Assen yet as I've been told it's a flat, boring route to get there but I'll probably fit it in one year.

I still think football is the greatest threat to Rugby spectator numbers as that sport is watched in far greater numbers than Cricket, Tennis, Athletics etc.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »
frankly, I don't think it does anyone credit to be disparaging about any sport.  Some find Rugby Union boring, others find F1, Basketball, Rugby League. Millions find these so called boring sports captivating. All sports have events which are less exciting than others.  To enjoy Cricket, I venture to suggest you need to understand it as a game which is like Chess, full of tactics and individual battles between batsman and bowler.  For people who do understand a sport that sport can be exciting.  To criticize without understanding is a token of ignorance IMHO.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 10:33:41 AM »
frankly, I don't think it does anyone credit to be disparaging about any sport.  Some find Rugby Union boring, others find F1, Basketball, Rugby League. Millions find these so called boring sports captivating. All sports have events which are less exciting than others.  To enjoy Cricket, I venture to suggest you need to understand it as a game which is like Chess, full of tactics and individual battles between batsman and bowler.  For people who do understand a sport that sport can be exciting.  To criticize without understanding is a token of ignorance IMHO.

Don't often agree with The Old Geezer but I do here. I will add, though, that I used to enjoy watching many other sports 30+ years ago but I don't now. Have I changed or the other sports changed?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 11:05:17 AM »

Don't often agree with The Old Geezer but I do here. I will add, though, that I used to enjoy watching many other sports 30+ years ago but I don't now. Have I changed or the other sports changed?

I personally think many sports have changed, for many reasons mostly safety, generally not for the better. For example all motor sports tend towards processions these days. Rugby League in the winter mud was quite an exciting game. Rugby from when I played is not the same game and is played in a very sanitised version - good or bad it is to each person to figure out. I also think if you have been involved in a sport at any level you do have an emotional attachment no matter what.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »

Oohh. Hang on there. Back up a bit. Are you calling me ignorant? I fully understand cricket and the nuances of the game, as I do many sports, such as football, tennis, golf. That I find watching paint dry more interesting than any of those aforementioned sports doesn't make me ignorant. I am simply not entertained.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 11:58:05 AM »
Do not denigrate watching paint dry! Trade gloss is superbly runny and takes a great deal of watching.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 02:00:06 PM »
Lovely response Neils. My three year old grandaughter gets bored easily too. I didn't intend to call anyone ignorant.  I used the word in the sense of "not knowing" rather than as an insult.  Each to his own but I would say that, never having played cricket, it did seem boring until I learned much more about what was going on.  Obviously there are sports which we, as individuals, will appreciate more than we do others.  I now love cricket.  There are some rugby union matches I just cannot watch and no one should doubt my passion for RU.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 02:29:50 PM »
Generally the more you understand a game, the more interesting it becomes.
The exception is of course football where the reverse is the case  :)

"For example all motor sports tend towards processions these days"

MotoGP remains pretty spectacular IMO.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 02:34:29 PM »
There are some rugby union matches I just cannot watch and no one should doubt my passion for RU.
Now your being disparaging about Saracens...what is the matter with you man!!

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »
You are right I cannot watch Saracens - I despise them for what they did to the reputation of our game!  there are some boring rugby union matches too which I find difficult.