Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester to stream matches  (Read 5597 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester to stream matches
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 07:21:36 PM »
BT look to have come to an arrangement with PRL to make every match available. They will show chosen matches on telly and those matches not shown can be streamed by clubs to their STHs using unique codings. This is probably what Stephen Vaughan's twitter comment was about - waiting for complete agreement and the official announcement. From the Mail.

Amazing.. you obviously have inside information.. where can we sign up? It can't be on usual BT channels..  so have BT created a video streaming platform that knows every single club members'  database?

Not inside information as I said it's from the Sunday Mail as part of an article on TV deals in the future (sort of pie in the sky "we want a dedicated channel").
I suspect existing STHs will be contacted by individual clubs with access details plus an individual access code. Anyone not a current STH will miss out - or get access for a fee to the club (something similar is mutating in Scottish football).
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 08:25:42 AM »
You would think BT would be desperate to show as many games as possible (multiple games at the same time) as it means more advertising revenue.

Maybe they can team up with C4 and C5 to air more games?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 08:38:52 AM »
If you look at the days matches are playing I think they are trying to cover as many as possible. Would other channels pay BT for their technical coverage - currently I think not. I am not sure how many games are left on the current terrestrial deal with C5(?).
I think it is very fair for those holding STs get free access. I assume others will be able to pay. Currently Scottish football matches are averaging about £15 per match (the highest is £20).

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 10:22:55 AM »
Similar scheme has been running in the Football Championship since the re-start.  Matches that were not being broadcast live on Sky were available via a slightly cumbersome (but perfectly watchable once in) streaming service for a match by match fee.   As a casual and somewhat lapsed Brentford supporter with no rugby to watch, my interest has been rekindled a little in recent months (helped by the team having their best season in living memory and the nostalgia of bidding farewell to their old ground).  As I had already bought tickets to a match in early April for one final visit to the soon to be retired Griffin Park with the kids I was offered the choice of free streaming passes @ £10 a time to the value of my ticket purchase instead of a refund.  However, as Brentford were firmly in the promotion race, nearly all games were picked by Sky, so I think there were only 2 games that were made available to me for free in the end.  Sky games were available by buying a £10 day pass for Sky Sports via Now TV, so in line with streaming prices, but not available against the cost of my tickets.  Not 100% sure what the deal was for season ticket holders since only those not selected for Sky were accessible via the streaming service, so they may have been left feeling a little short changed.

I'm sure BT could come to a similar agreement with PRL for streaming of non-televised games to allow STHs to watch home games for free, and others to watch for a fee.  However, as far as I know, BT don't have a service that allows viewers to pay only for what they watch, so if your a STH without a BT subscription and remaining home games are live on BT then you might be left having to fork out.

As said above, the writing has been on the wall since April that this was the likely outcome (the only other option being to abandon the season entirely), so they've had plenty of time to thrash something out, yet here we are with 11 days to go till the season restarts and we know nothing.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-8584103/Premiership-chiefs-eye-dedicated-TV-channel-2021-broadcast-deal-renewal.html

It looks like Sky is the preferred route as they have the platform to deliver a dedicated channel.

The problem might be that you have to buy Sky.. then Sky Sports.. then add on the rugby channel.

The NBC channel is looking more and more appealing

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
Sky are the CVC chosen vehicle except Sky won't pay anywhere close to the BT offer that PRL turned down pre Covid. At the moment BT seems to be the only horse in town and we have them for at least this and next season.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
Didn't the PRL CEO turn down BT's offer to renew without consulting the clubs?

I admire BT's ambition but their business model was to secure sports to sell more broadband packages.

That relies on a good product.. their core infrastructure.

I wonder (we have a geographically diverse demographic on this forum) what everyones' speeds are (if you're on fibre to door then you should be getting 200).

I've just ran a test.. 20 down and 0.9 up.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 11:30:48 AM »
Yep BT were turned down by the CEO without reference to the clubs.

Currently with BT and about 50 down and 15 up so no problem.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 12:19:38 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-8584103/Premiership-chiefs-eye-dedicated-TV-channel-2021-broadcast-deal-renewal.html

It looks like Sky is the preferred route as they have the platform to deliver a dedicated channel.

The problem might be that you have to buy Sky.. then Sky Sports.. then add on the rugby channel.

The NBC channel is looking more and more appealing

Now TV do season passes occasionally. I usually by the F1 season pass which this year before Covid was £198 for 9 months (usually £33.99 a month). You get all of their channels for that, so it was worthwhile.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »
I'm with Sky broadband.

75.36 Mb download

20.61 Mb upload

Smoothly stream from Rugbypass (far east).

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »
We're on TalkTalk F.t.C. and currently speeds are 38 down, 3.6 up. In theory max download should be 40.

We have Freesat TV (Freeview is restricted to basic channels - on a good day), so can't get Sky Sports, not that I would subscribe as I have no interest in most of their output, and refuse to pay for things I would never watch.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »
Smoothly stream from Rugbypass (far east).

Which VPN are you using, Rossm?

(NordVPN stopped working for me months ago with RP, and couldn't get ESPN working last year. Now on a new Sky package, not least to get a decent deal incl. BT Sport, with similar broadband performance to yours.)

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 03:37:59 PM »
Ditto Sky

68 download 18.5 upload.

Mikeuk56

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 05:16:36 PM »
198 Download 32 Upload and I get BT Sport in my package

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »
Is this the technology version of schlong size comparisons?