Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Taking the knee v Saints  (Read 8524 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the knee v Saints
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »
My neighbour, who is a black lawyer, is against "taking the knee" in support of black lives matter because, as he says "it was a white racist policeman who actually took the knee".

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 07:38:22 PM »
I suspect that given there has been such a delay since the last competitive match there will many on each side taking the knee all the way throughout the game.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:09 PM »
I’m very proud that Wasps players will be taking the knee prior to the kick off against Saints.

As a culturally diverse team in a culturally diverse city to send out a message that we deplore racism - and celebrate diversity - is entirely the right thing to do.

Well done Wasps.

In my view.. taking the knee is another form of bullying..

We don't need very rich and entitled people in the spotlight to tell us how we feel.. how we act.. what to think. I'll make up my own mind.

I hope the Wasps players will be allowed to choose.. preferably not take a a political/religious statement onto the sporting field
BG I find your view unnecessary and uncalledfor. I am trying maintain my ever increasing amount of smites and quiet frankly your just putting my attention on yourself...not cool.

I'm sorry Hymen.  I didn't mean to wind you up. I appreciated your VPN advice though.

BTW.. it's "you're"

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 08:31:51 PM »
"There is already the well established "Rugby Against Racism" which I notice other clubs are supporting."

Thanks Neils; I didn't know that and it rings truer to me than BLM.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 08:37:27 PM »
My neighbour, who is a black lawyer, is against "taking the knee" in support of black lives matter because, as he says "it was a white racist policeman who actually took the knee".

I suggest you tell your lawyer friend to google Colin Kaepernick. He might learn something.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »
Sorry, All Lives Matter, irrespective of colour, race or religion. A human being is a human being. End of argument.

Save the Tiger doesn't mean screw the Lion. Save the Rhino doesn't mean Slaughter the Buffalo.

Black lives matter doesn't mean Only black lives matter.

The issue is that black lives, in the USA especially, but also in the UK, don't seem to matter as much as others.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 09:57:36 PM »
We're getting into a debate that I think vesp is about to close..

Back to rugby..  I can't wait for Sunday.. it almost seems like a year or more.

We've had a massive downpour in Warwickshire tonight.. I'm hoping Saints have had that as well to soften the pitch up. One of the nicer grounds and environments in the premiership.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 10:15:21 PM »
I’m very proud that Wasps players will be taking the knee prior to the kick off against Saints.

As a culturally diverse team in a culturally diverse city to send out a message that we deplore racism - and celebrate diversity - is entirely the right thing to do.

Well done Wasps.

We don't need very rich and entitled people in the spotlight to tell us how we feel.. how we act.. what to think. I'll make up my own mind.

I hope the Wasps players will be allowed to choose.. preferably not take a a political/religious statement onto the sporting field
BG I find your view unnecessary and uncalledfor. I am trying maintain my ever increasing amount of smites and quiet frankly your just putting my attention on yourself...not cool.

I'm sorry Hymen.  I didn't mean to wind you up. I appreciated your VPN advice though.

BTW.. it's "you're"
The only thing worse than a trouble maker is a punctuation policeman...smite coming your way

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 10:42:56 PM »
For me, Rugby is a celebration of diversity, a largely respectful sport, made up of athletes of all races, sizes etc. Frankly I don't care how someone chooses to acknowledge diversity, only that it should be acknowledged. There will always be extremists who hijack movements, as a rule they are a blinkered minority, I pity them. We should all see the value in the eclectic mix we have in humanity and being kind to people, that is what is important. The extremists will have an issue with people like me who embrace diversity, frankly it doesn't bother me, as I am morally richer than them as I see the greater good, they refuse to see it. #COYW
+1

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »
Sorry, All Lives Matter, irrespective of colour, race or religion. A human being is a human being. End of argument.

Save the Tiger doesn't mean screw the Lion. Save the Rhino doesn't mean Slaughter the Buffalo.

Black lives matter doesn't mean Only black lives matter.

The issue is that black lives, in the USA especially, but also in the UK, don't seem to matter as much as others.

This.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 06:41:07 AM »
"There is already the well established "Rugby Against Racism" which I notice other clubs are supporting."

Thanks Neils; I didn't know that and it rings truer to me than BLM.

And therein lies the rub.

If people are not aware of something that's set up to make a difference then it's fair to say it's not making a difference.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »

Seriously?????? I really don't think anyone is being ordered to take a knee. Our players will have come to a conclusion and will have collectively agreed on their action. I would definitely take a knee if my joints were up to it.

Ordered, no.  Or at least I hope not.  Coerced?  Perhaps, in the face of intense media pressure over the course of the last few months.  If this was a genuinely unanimous sentiment among the entire squad, then good for them.  However, I can't help but feel there may be some among them who are less than comfortable with it for personal reasons, but chose to keep their own counsel and fall in line with the majority.  I would be no less proud of Wasps if they had left it as a matter of individual conscience, in which case I would have no more or less respect for those that chose to join in over those that chose not to.

Personally I'd prefer it if politics were left well out of sport.

I understand it has been "organised" by Ugo Monye.

I agree 100% with your final sentence.

There's an interesting piece on Monye's experiences bringing the Premiership clubs' representatives together here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53739865

I've not had the chance to check out the podcast in full, but the article offers a condensed version of it.  Monye talks a lot about how the whole BLM movement can mean different things to different people and acknowledges that it has unfortunately been politicised and hijacked.  His own position is clear, but he remains open minded to the views of others.  He winds me up as a pundit, but I thought this was a well balanced and non-judgmental piece, summed up by this quote:

"At the heart of all of it, there has to be a level of respect.

"We've got to support people that do take the knee in the same way we have to support people that don't take the knee.

"It's not for me to pass judgement on it but many will unfortunately because that's the society and age we live in. It's a shame."

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »