Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Getting Excited Now.  (Read 3453 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Excited Now.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »

We had a run of good wins at Franklin Gardens but I fear Saints have the momentum right now.

No-one's played for 5 months, so not sure where any momentum might be coming from. :)

GD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »
This is going to be the interesting bit for me, weve not been through this sort of thing before, its not a preseason so no one has been away on internationals etc and going back to no fans but with cameras etc.
There is no momentum from anyone , no one is in form or not.
And then there is a lot of rugby over a short period so squad rotation will be really fascinating I think.
I can see psychology being as important as fitness for the rest of this season.
Ive been completely uninterested in the resumption of the season until this last week but am really excited now.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
If we can take the togetherness of the last 3 games into this last batch, I am quietly confident that top 4 is not beyond us.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 11:18:50 AM »
If we can take the togetherness of the last 3 games into this last batch, I am quietly confident that top 4 is not beyond us.

We're fortunate that we roll into the re-start with a fairly settled squad but it will feel like the start to a new season for the players so who knows if things click again, but it will be the same for all clubs. Off the top of my head tigers might have the most changed squad.

What we won't witness is the dog fight at the bottom of the table when players and coaches will be nervous about making mistakes.

Its almost going to be like a trial "ring fencing" experiment.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 09:57:23 PM »
But one thing that I will miss is the programme, drat it.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 10:24:06 PM »
But one thing that I will miss is the programme, drat it.

Clubs are doing some form of programme- Bristol have released theirs for the weekend- not sure who gets them.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2020, 07:17:04 AM »
If it goes anything like football did when it returned there could be a lot of away wins initially. It appeared that the lack of a crowd to drive the home team on had an adverse effect on their performance. Let's hope so for Sunday!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

This might have something to do with it:
The Covid-19 pandemic has induced worldwide natural experiments on the effects of crowds. We exploit one of these experiments currently taking place over several countries in almost identical settings: professional football matches played behind closed doors. We find large and statistically significant effects on the number of yellow cards issued by referees. Without a crowd, fewer cards were awarded to the away teams, reducing home advantage. These results have implications for the influence of social pressure and crowds on the neutrality of refereeing decisions.
https://www.iza.org/publications/dp/13578/experimental-effects-of-an-absent-crowd-on-performances-and-refereeing-decisions-during-covid-19

Although I don't think rugby refs come under anywhere near as much pressure as football referees at the top end there's still psychological pressure from a large crowd. To that extent the TV ref is a good cut out, not just looking at the evidence but also giving the officials time to reflect and not make hasty calls.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »
Although I don't think rugby refs come under anywhere near as much pressure as football referees at the top end there's still psychological pressure from a large crowd.

Kingsholm the exception that proves the rule! :)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 10:00:07 PM »
First incident in front of the shed is always a pen against the visitors. They start booing with ridiculous indignation when on 20 mins the pens start to even up. Rest of the ground you have a chance.  Still a magnificent away day, I would give my right arm for a good away fixture with crowd right now.....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:02:01 PM by westwaleswasp »