Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread - Saints (spoilers)  (Read 12211 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread - Saints (spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2020, 05:46:33 PM »
Dan Robson has struggled with accuracy today.
Some of his passes have been all over the place.

I agree - one or two loose passes but his support running was excellent.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2020, 05:47:41 PM »
Players dipped into it, so wasnt high for  red.

No one looked at stamp on Launchers head..wtf?

I missed that too.  Who was it?

naiyaravoro.  Didn’t look like his boot was trying to find grass

Video of it here: https://twitter.com/georgeheminway/status/1295012126176804864?s=08

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »
Thanks for posting. I wonder if more will be made of it.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2020, 05:57:53 PM »
I missed the kick, but I caught Joe looking indignant.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

hopwood

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2020, 06:04:21 PM »
There was a slow motion replay of the move from another angle during commentary which really looked bad.
However the commentators failed to pick it up.

I hope it gets looked at.
Joe could have easily lost an eye.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »
Very happy with that performance. Any concerns over whether Shields can play 8 have been answered with a definite yes. Willis and Young exceptional. Pack fronted up and defence didn't give much away all day. Backs didn't do a great deal in attack but took their chances.

Dobby had some iffy moments at 9 and I felt Brookes was poor in the loose before his injury. Given how JTA has improved his scrummaging, I am not sure Brookes would make the first choice 23 when the need to rest players has stopped. Lima's yellow was poor. If he actually went to catch the ball rather than to knock it down I think he'd have been in for a try.

Didn't agree with some of Karl Dickson's decisions in the second half, but proud of how we dug in when momentum was slipping away.

Pick of the bunch was the final try. It would have been exceptional in the dry but given the weather was simply devine.

One final point; I thought it was pretty insensitive of Tim Cocker of BT Sport to spend most of Thomas's MOTM interview by going on about how good Jack is, Jack's England chances and how good a coach Lee Blackett is.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2020, 06:15:25 PM »
Going back to Naiyaravoro, not sure it was deliberate, but it was certainly reckless and contact was with the head. Will be surprised if it's not cited and leads to a ban.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »
Very happy with that performance. Any concerns over whether Shields can play 8 have been answered with a definite yes. Willis and Young exceptional. Pack fronted up and defence didn't give much away all day. Backs didn't do a great deal in attack but took their chances.

Dobby had some iffy moments at 9 and I felt Brookes was poor in the loose before his injury. Given how JTA has improved his scrummaging, I am not sure Brookes would make the first choice 23 when the need to rest players has stopped. Lima's yellow was poor. If he actually went to catch the ball rather than to knock it down I think he'd have been in for a try.

Didn't agree with some of Karl Dickson's decisions in the second half, but proud of how we dug in when momentum was slipping away.

Pick of the bunch was the final try. It would have been exceptional in the dry but given the weather was simply devine.

One final point; I thought it was pretty insensitive of Tim Cocker of BT Sport to spend most of Thomas's MOTM interview by going on about how good Jack is, Jack's England chances and how good a coach Lee Blackett is.
Agree. Stupid to insinuate that it's all turned round since Dai went. Even if it's true there was no need for that particular line of discussion with his son.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2020, 08:41:04 PM »
Here's another from The Telegraph.

Wasps secure bonus-point victory over Northampton after back row masterclass
Jack Willis and Thomas Young took advantage of the law interpretations at the breakdown, causing havoc throughout the match

Eddie Jones started the weekend on Friday night by witnessing a standout performance from Harlequins’ Chris Robshaw, a familiar face of England’s past. On Sunday, the England head coach departed Franklin’s Gardens having seen a glimpse of its future in the shape of Wasps’ back-row tearaway Jack Willis.
Wasps’ bonus-point win allows them to leapfrog Northampton into the top four, a remarkable transformation since head coach Lee Blackett took the reins from Dai Young when the club were tenth. It was a victory based squarely on their domination of the breakdown where Wasps twin opensides Willis and Thomas Young, the broadcasters’ man of the match, ran riot. Despite boasting nearly two thirds possession and territory, Northampton ended up conceding 17 turnovers; their all England capped back row of Courtney Lawes, Lewis Ludlam and Teimana Harrison were comprehensively bested.
Willis is not exactly a new kid on the block. The 23-year-old was due to tour South Africa in 2018 before rupturing his ACL in his right knee. In his absence, Tom Curry started all three Tests and cemented himself as a world-class talent as Willis spent 16 months on the sidelines.
He was just finding his form again before the coronavirus pandemic struck. If anything his effectiveness has been amplified by the law interpretations at the breakdown. Once over the ball, Willis is impossible to shift and with an engine that could power a tank that means he seems to be contesting every other breakdown. He also popped up with a try with Josh Bassett (twice) and Ben Harris also crossing. Even if Curry – or Sam Underhill for that matter – are not going anywhere any time soon, Willis is placing himself in that selection equation.
“Jack is proving himself at this moment, he is working hard and he won’t die wondering in his career, that’s for sure,” Blackett said. “I think England’s back row is as strong as it’s ever been, but Jack will be there or thereabouts. If he keeps playing well and working hard, I’m pretty sure he’ll get a call up.”
Northampton fly half Dan Biggar kicked a pair of first-half penalties but was also responsible for the set piece for the first Wasps try after kicking past the deadball line. Wasps’ execution was flawless. Jimmy Gopperth delayed his pass to Jacob Umaga who flipped on while absorbing the contact allowing Bassett a straightforward finish. “We practiced defending that move 100 times,” Chris Boyd, the Northampton director of rugby, said. “We quietly got it wrong on the day. You can’t afford to leak soft tries.” Boyd’s frustration only mounted as Wasps’ second score also came from a scrum on 18 minutes. It was executed in a similar clinical manner as full back Matteo Minozzi was brought up just short and that man Willis was present to snipe from close range for his fourth try in his last six appearances.
Northampton manoeuvred themselves into promising positions, particularly with their work at the restarts but a combination of poor handling and Wasps’ stout defence prevented them from capitalising. Centre Malakai Fekitoa acted as the tone-setter. Twice he rattled the bones of opposite number Fraser Dingwall, although the second time it drew a yellow card from referee Karl Dickson as his shoulder rode up into his chin. Saints failed to capitalise on their man advantage.
After the break, Northampton took a leaf from Wasps’ playbook by using the scrum as a try-scoring platform. It was hardly a subtle ploy, using 19 stone Taqele Naiyaravoro on the crash before scrum half Alex Mitchell dived over. Wasps responded with Harris’ pushover try and extended their advantage to 24-13 as replacement Lima Sopoaga kicked a penalty.
Sopogoa, though, was rightly sin-binned for a deliberate knock-on which prevented a certain try. Northampton immediately capitalised as second David Ribbans scored from a driving maul and a Biggar penalty cut Wasps’ lead to three points. However Sopoaga scored his second penalty before Wasps scored a glorious fourth try to seal their fourth win a row. Young seized on a loose kick and in an instant Sopoaga and the excellent Dan Robson had flown down the lefthand touchline for Bassett to score his second.
“I did not see that coming,” Boyd said. “We put ourselves under pressure in training a lot but I think that was the preseason game we needed.”
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »
This is crying out for a caption ;D Click to enlarge.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2020, 09:23:33 PM »
Great win and a joy to watch after the 5 month rugby drought!

. One final point; I thought it was pretty insensitive of Tim Cocker of BT Sport to spend most of Thomas's MOTM interview by going on about how good Jack is, Jack's England chances and how good a coach Lee Blackett is.

I noticed that too and felt it was highly unfair and unprofessional of Tim. Perhaps he was expecting Jack to get the award but nonetheless there were plenty of other comments & questions he should of posed to YY. Poor form. You can see YY was not best pleased ... and rightly so.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2020, 08:15:10 AM »
"Sopogoa, though, was rightly sin-binned for a deliberate knock-on which prevented a certain try." [my emphasis.

When I first read that I thought "Really? I don't remember any discussion of a possible try" so I've just been back and had a look.

The possibility of a try wasn't raised by the commentators and the Saint's players didn't even consider it.  BT didn't show any angles that we could use to make a judgement but given the Saint's players didn't raise it we have to ask which match he was watching.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »
Going back to Naiyaravoro, not sure it was deliberate, but it was certainly reckless and contact was with the head. Will be surprised if it's not cited and leads to a ban.

Agreed - not sure it was deliberate, or malicious but he definitely wasn't trying to find grass to pump his legs during the tackle. 

At best, he's trying to shake off a tackler.  At worst, he's trying to kick someone.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
ps Anyone else impressed with Lima's ability to self-manage his own game time?!  :)

Apparently he felt 20 odd minutes wouldn't have kept him fresh for Friday night under the lights!