Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jack Willis Interview in The Daily Telegraph.  (Read 1565 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Jack Willis Interview in The Daily Telegraph.
« on: August 21, 2020, 08:37:32 AM »
When Jack Willis first joined the Wasps academy as an 18-year-old, he would take every spare opportunity he could to spy on the senior back-row forwards and in particular on Australian openside, George Smith.

Sometimes he would be invited to join in their training sessions, but more often than not Willis would be on the sidelines just trying to absorb everything in front of him. At 35, Smith, who did more than any other player to revolutionise the art of jackalling, should have been content to pick up a tidy pay packet in a one-season spell before jetting off into the sunset. Instead he ended up being awarded Rugby Players’ Association’s Player of the Year and took Willis under his wing, even going so far as to review his A League games.

“I would play on the Monday and he would go through it that week and drop me some notes of the clips and let me know what his thoughts were and what he would have done in different situations,” Willis tells Telegraph Sport. “That advice was invaluable. He didn’t have to do that. This was his own time, but it is the mark of the man.”

Willis, 23, remains a committed student of the game. He estimates that he spends five hours every week analysing the breakdown with Wasps transition coach, Matt Everard. “So much of jackalling is about instinct,” Willis explains. “You don’t have time to think on the pitch. If you do, the opportunity will be gone. That’s where all those hours during the week pays off.”

His tally of 30 turnovers demonstrates how refined those instincts are. According to Opta, only Leeds’ Hendre Fourie has ever won more turnovers in a single season and there are still eight Premiership games remaining, although Willis has been rested for Friday night's match against Worcester. He also ranks first for ruck arrivals. It helps that his latest breakdown masterclass against Northampton came in front of Eddie Jones and England’s coaching staff.

If Smith is one role model, then Willis’ other inspiration comes a little closer to home. Steve Willis’ career never reached the heights that Smith’s did, but he played with no less dedication for Reading Abbey well into his 40s.

“He was very aggressive and physical,” Willis says of his father. “He would stick his head into anything. I have a vivid memory of seeing him in the sin-bin and we ran up to him asking what had happened and he would say, ‘not now son, not now’.

“In a rugby sense, it was always the passion he showed and how much work he was prepared to put in for his mates around him. Outside of that, I admire him for what a kind bloke he is and how he always puts other people first. My mum [Joanne] is the same. The way they brought us up was to put other people first and treat people like you want to be treated.”

That generosity has extended to being foster parents to more than 30 children. Steve and Joanne first approached Jack and his brother Tom, who does start tonight for Wasps, when they were in secondary school with the idea while their sister, Annabelle, was in primary school. “They said ‘we are thinking of trying to give back to families in the area and help kids who have not been as fortunate as we have been’,” Willis says. “All of us were 100 per cent behind it.

“We had some really unfortunate children come into our home. They do feel like a sibling so it is hard when it gets to a stage whether either the parents are in a position to take them back or they move on for adoption. It is cool to see that transformation and I think it was a massive part of who we all are today.”

Perspective then comes slightly easier to Willis than it does to some of his peers. Even so, little could prepare him for the whirlwind end to his breakthrough 2017-18 season when he was named in England’s squad to South Africa. Nine days later, playing in the Premiership semi-final, he was illegally cleared out at a ruck, simultaneously injuring his left ankle and right leg. “The immediate moment when it happened the pain was ridiculous, but then it just stopped,” Willis says. “By the time the physios got to me, I thought I’m OK now. Then when I was being carried off I could feel my knee swaying and dropping out of its socket. That’s when it hit home that the tour I had ahead of me, which would have been a dream come true, was not going to happen.”
Even when he returned after nearly a year, it was clear his ankle required a further operation and another few months out of the game. “That’s a lot of time to spend lying on your bed, especially in those first few weeks when you think what am I going to do if rugby is finished?”

So Willis started an evening plumbing course with his brother. His course results are due next month. Then just before the pandemic struck, he was approached by a former team-mate, Alex Lundberg, to set up a finance and search agency, RockCap, which sources land and investment opportunities for multi-million pound companies.

“Before my injuries I did not realise that I was trapped inside the rugby bubble,” Willis says. “Now when I am at the club I give everything I can. When I leave the club, I can really switch off and devote my focus to something else.”

With his rugby hat on, he knows better than to talk up his chances of international selection. Jones loves nothing better than to snub the media’s darlings, but even he may find Willis’ turnover count hard to ignore. “All I can control is how hard I work,” Willis says. “Jackalling is my strength but being a rugby player is not just about having one skill in one area. I did not intend to come back to be the same player that I was before my injury. Why limit myself to getting back to a certain level when I can think about how can I improve and change the way I play as the new Jack Willis.”
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Willis Interview in The Daily Telegraph.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 09:16:03 AM »
What a super article, and so well deserved.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 09:25:51 AM »
What a super article, and so well deserved.

Easier to go - +1
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:34:21 AM »
Barnes is quite negative in the Times - I have done my best to answer him! I think Billy may be shot, in which case Jones needs to reorganise the back row.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »
Barnes in The Times

Jack Willis made a monumental impact at the weekend with a dominant breakdown display for Wasps against Northampton Saints as the Premiership season finally resumed. The flanker has been rested for the Worcester Warriors game today but all the talk about the 23-year-old will start again on Tuesday when he will be in action against Sale Sharks.

The chances are that he will come face to face with England’s Tom Curry. After that, Wasps meet Bath on bank holiday Monday and, hopefully, Sam Underhill. These two flankers mastered the All Blacks during last year’s World Cup semi-final in one of the greatest performances produced by a northern-hemisphere side.

Willis is being touted for England. Unlike Curry, 22, and Underhill, 24, though, he has received his rave reviews in games that bear absolutely no relation to the levels at which the Kamikaze Kids have performed. The England head coach Eddie Jones has, on countless occasions, reminded the press and public that turning out for your club is different from playing for your country.

So far Willis has proved nothing, certainly not as far as the Test game is concerned. What he has done is dominate whatever he can get his hands on — quite literally. The statistics are staggering. He has made 30 turnovers this season (the next best is 16). He has hit more rucks than anyone else and his average of 2.7 turnovers per game is higher than that managed by any player in the Premiership over the past decade. You can see why his supporters are calling for him to be given a chance this autumn.

He is the nearest thing in England to a David Pocock — at least at club level. New Zealand worked out a way to nullify the Australian’s destructive capabilities at the breakdown. In 2015, Pocock was at his peak, the outstanding performer at the World Cup, but the All Blacks took him out of the game. Wherever he positioned himself, they targeted him as first tackler. Get him on the floor, away from the jackal position.

Australia had a pair of fabulous flankers in Pocock and Michael Hooper, as Wasps have with Thomas Young and Willis, but their breakdown game was depowered with a clever, common-sense tactic. Sale have some heavy-duty ball-carriers. It will be intriguing to see whether they, too, try to force the flanker to the floor.

That’s one potential way to negate Willis. More interesting will be the impact of the faster game that Jones expects at Test level. The head coach surely wants to see it played nearer the speed of New Zealand’s recent internal tournament than the painfully pedestrian nature of the Premiership.

Willis is emerging as one of the outstanding young flankers in the Premiership, but can shine in England’s quicker game

In the Super Rugby Aotearoa tournament we witnessed the rebirth of the ruck. In the final round, the Highlanders blew the Hurricanes away over the tackle area. Two or three men bound, frequently driving the sole jackal off the ball. The “old ways” are perceived as the highest-risk strategy. The numbers driving, and bound, over the tackler and tackled man leave the rucking team exposed if a Willis-style jackal can steal the ball. One jackal and three opponents would give Wasps the advantage of extra men, space and a broken field.

Get it right and the jackal can be taken out of the game. Get it wrong and the team with a turnover are in business. In New Zealand, the instinct is to be positive and risk being caught out for the benefit of the consistently quick ball, which has reignited Aaron Smith in recent months. When Jones talks of quick ball, he is seeing what happens at a well- policed, positively played breakdown.

In England, the breakdown is a means to secure possession; slow down and start again. It is another world from what the England head coach sees in his crystal ball. “I don’t think, particularly in Test rugby, that you’ll be playing long phases of attack,” he says.

Last weekend English referees were sharp with players coming into the tackle zone from the side as well as pinging those slow to roll away. But they still see nothing wrong with players sealing the ball by flopping off their feet, as opposed to hitting tackle zones like human Exocets.

This mindset of securing the ball makes breakdown play negative when it should be one of the most positive aspects of union. If it is stagnant, magpies such as Willis have an extra split- second to use their immense strength and technique. If support players work out how to ruck, life will get harder yet for the jackallers, certainly at the rarefied atmosphere in which Jones works.

The flop to seal and secure possession deprives the sport of its urgency. Hence the turgid nature of so much rugby; hence Jones’s cry for not just quick ruck ball but “consistently” quick possession.

So, too, will an improvement in individual skills. Offloading, for example, limits breakdowns and cuts down attacking phases. A well-executed offload can lead to the sort of rapid gainline break of which the seal-and-secure brigade can only dream about (or more likely have defensive nightmares). New Zealand back their skills. We worry about taking risks. The more offloads — especially at Test level, where skills are expected to be greater — the fewer breakdowns, the less the impact of Willis in an area where he shines.

If Jones’s world view is right and the referees understand their critical part, international rugby is set for an era of more pace, skill and far fewer comfort-blanket breakdowns. Willis is showing himself to be a sensational Premiership player but that doesn’t prove he is England’s future when there as so many magnificent back-row forwards. Whatever Willis does in the Premiership, let’s wait until he has made the leap from club game to Test arena.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 11:31:46 AM »
TLDR: Can tell if he's an international unless he's played internationally.

No shit sherlock. People are calling for him to get a shot, not for him to have the shirt for the next decade.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
Given how Eddie seems to shun the press, Stuart Barnes has probably done more to give Jack a shot than anyone else!

Hard to find any insight in what Stuart has written. He seems to suggest the Sale game will test Jack, but Premiership games don't compare to international games? I also like the way Saints were dismissed in the artical as not being any sort of test, yet they also had  international players in the back row.

Really hope Jack does get a chance to show what he can do on the international stage.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 12:33:26 PM »
Saints fans last week were telling me Willis single handedly embarrassed there's, and they acknowledged Young and Shields added to that.

Willis outplaying Courtney Lawes and Lewis Ludlam should be indicative of his potential at international level. If given an opportunity we can see if he can play as well as Curry or Underhill.

And premiership games absolutely should be indicative of potential at an international level, otherwise how can you judge their potential before playing them at international level?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 01:12:45 PM »
Hard to find any insight in what Stuart has written.

For his entire career as a pundit...... ;D ;D

If ever there was a pundit who the loved the sound of his own voice, Barnes is the man........

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 01:24:58 PM »
His written articles often have more insight, not so much this time. Guess his ghost writer is still on furlough.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 02:25:48 PM »
An article of contradictions...an attempt to stand out against the other articles but poorly constructed.
D+ must do better