Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Wuss  (Read 19155 times)

hopwood

Re: Teams Up for Wuss
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »
What type of team is that Worcester one?

Is that full-strength?
Or are they rotating players too?

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »
I watched Tom Willis play for the Extras against a very strong Gloucester second xv at Broadstreet earlier this season and I thought he looked the real deal.

Natural leader and very physical.

Well done Tom.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 12:43:16 PM »
What type of team is that Worcester one?

Is that full-strength?
Or are they rotating players too?

Notes from Warriors' web site:

Warriors will give Gallagher Premiership debuts to three current or recent members of the Three Pears Warriors Academy against Wasps at the Ricoh Arena on Friday (kick-off 7.45pm).

Wing Noah Heward, who is still on the Senior Academy, will have his first taste of senior rugby with scrum-half Gareth Simpson and lock James Scott, who recently graduated to the senior squad at Sixways, also making their competition debuts.

There are four more potential competition debutants among the replacements in former Oxford University tighthead prop Joe Morris, lock Justin Clegg, former Saracens centre Oli Morris – another current Senior Academy member – and back-row forward Caleb Montgomery in line for match action.

Montgomery made two appearances in the Premiership Rugby Cup at the start of the season but has not played since October because of a hand injury.

A much-changed squad includes 14 players who have either graduated from the Three Pears Warriors Academy or who are currently on the programme.

Centre Will Butler, one of those Academy graduates, will captain Warriors in the absence of injured Team Captain Matt Moulds and Club Captain Ted Hill, who played the full 80 minutes against Gloucester last Saturday. Butler, the new Assistant Club Captain, will make the third Premiership appearance of his career but first in two years.

None of the side who started against Gloucester will

be involved against Wasps but Scotland internationals Duncan Weir and Cornell du Preez, South Africa centre Francois Venter, hooker Beck Cutting, tighthead prop Richard Palframan and back-row forward GJ van Velze who came off the bench at the weekend, all start.

Chris Pennell replaces the suspended Melani Nanai at full-back and loosehead prop Callum Black returns to action for the first time since he sustained a foot injury at Saracens in early January.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 12:47:29 PM »
It makes no sense for Worcester to flog their top players. Much better to bed in the juniors for next season.

It could be a very entertaining game.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »
I think that's a really sensible pick. I had no idea Oghre could play seven. Obviously it's a weaker team for us but I think we could take it to them in the front row and we have plenty of pace out wide. Pleased to see Miller start - underrated for me.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
Wasps v Worcester Warriors: Lima Sopoaga starts in overhauled XV

Bobby Bridge gives his thoughts on the selection.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-vs-worcester-live-feed-18799994

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »
That's a sizable front row there!!
Fairly chunky back line too with Odogwu, Mills & Le Bourgeous
back 5 of the scrum look a little light weight but if Wasps get some front foot ball it should be a very entertaining game.

I would imagine Oghre will have a lovely time playing 7, all hookers secretly want to be flankers and given his youth, speed & athleticism he could be quite decent.
Really looking forward to seeing Vellacott start too.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Barbeary is pretty nippy - he can even sidestep and chip kick. He used to play 12, so he could also be very useful.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
that's a point too, the younger the player, the more he will have played in different positions. Oghre is not the biggest hooker so will very likely have player somewhere else at some stage.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 04:36:26 PM »
Barbeary is pretty nippy - he can even sidestep and chip kick. He used to play 12, so he could also be very useful.

Schoolboys 12 is very different to elite grade though! I think we lack speed in the back row, and in the centres.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 04:39:17 PM »
Don't think Oghre is slow, neither will Morris & WIllis be.

Agree Mills & Le Bourgeous may not be the fastest but the back 3 are pretty quick & the 9 & 10 are not slow either!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »

Schoolboys 12 is very different to elite grade though! I think we lack speed in the back row, and in the centres.

Morris was superb earlier this season and last and doesn't lack for speed. Ochre is fast. Tom Willis is just a Willis that Jack thinks is better. I haven't noticed Ryan Mills being slow. Booj is not slow but can be a tad clumsy. So don't agree!
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »
Rob Webber's early first team starts were at 7 and it didn't do him any harm. I'm sure Wasps wouldn't pick Oghre there of they didn't think he could do a job.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2020, 07:09:10 PM »
Its a team that excites and can play more than one way.

With Lima and Mills at 10 and 12 we can look towards control or to using that back three's pace.

Pack needs to look towards parity and organisation

Great opportunity for many players to show they've bought into what looked like a commitment to defensive organisation and attacking opportunities at the breakdown

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2020, 07:41:51 PM »
Interesting comments from BB on Alfie and Gabriel plus a list of those not yet picked.

Wasps v Worcester Warriors: Lima Sopoaga starts in overhauled XV

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-vs-worcester-warriors-live-18799994#ICID=Android_CoventryTelegraphNewsApp_AppShare
Let me tell you something cucumber