Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Wuss  (Read 19153 times)

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Wuss
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2020, 08:31:12 AM »
Now only 12 points behind leaders Exeter. We only took 6 points from our first 6 games, just imagine where we could be! Bring on Sale.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2020, 08:53:38 AM »
On reflection I think we have to give some credit to Wuss: beware the team with nothing to lose.

The feeling was that they were getting away with a lot of offside decisions and its difficult to tell on the telly, but as they tired and lost concentration through the 2nd half they started to get pinged more often, which makes me think they were just the right side most of the time.

Early on we tried to counter with a few chips through and that seemed to be working and if we'd continued might have kept them on the back foot a bit longer and created more space. After that we didn't have a decent box kick and chase strategy so we were left with long kicks down the park, which just turned the ball over. When we had the ball we were going sideways or even backwards, as someone said up thread, they would have shown up on google maps.

I can't remember the stats but at HT I think they'd made double our tackles so were likely to tire faster and credit to our guys for hanging on and then taking advantage when Wuss did start to tire. At that point our flair player really could open up and it started to be a joy to watch.

I'm looking forward to watching the development of our young talent and I'm anticipating some really happy days in the next couple of seasons.
+1

+2

Just to add - I thought we always had the ability to win, and that the forwards took on a lot of responsibility was interesting - and essentially how we won it.

But I did think that the ref had an odd game which confused both sides at times. I'm not sure how far offside you need to be to pinged, especially out wider - the scrum calls were in coin flick territory - and one forward pass at the end of the first half was reminiscent of American Football. Breakdown a mess too often, players allowed to use hands too long and it wasn't what the Laws suggest a "contest" at the ruck might look like. But its learning experience all round, I suppose.

But - a win's a win, onward and hopefully upward!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »
Vellacot's performance seemed to mirror Robson's from this time last year. I don't think we should underestimate a player coming back from serious injury. I've never had a knee injury but surely stepping back onto the paddock, you would have question marks in your own mind.

He got through it.. some good passes.. some bad. We've got 4 scrumhalves (unless Ohgre can play there as well??) so Blackett/Gleeson can give him a rest.. use Porter.. Robbo and Wolstie..

This is (the schedule), reminding me of old school 7 tournaments.. a very quick turnaround. You don't want to injure yourself.

Minimal training in between games

.. Is this the way forward?

+1.

Ben needs gradual game time. Then we will see something special.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2020, 10:09:58 AM »
Really interesting see us take numerous short tap and gos on their 5meter line after a penalty rather than take the usual scrum or 5 meter lineout options. choosing to take a scrum or line can backfire because of the 50 / 50 calls you can get against you so it was refreshing to see us not take the risk and trust that we could get over the line. Also keeping the ball tight from a tap and go also means we were less likely to get isolated and turned over.

Anyway it’s good to see us thinking outside the box.

Yes, I thought that was interesting as well. Me and my lad were then wondering why not have one or two runners as well that the ball could be popped up to after the tap?

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2020, 10:16:55 AM »
Really interesting see us take numerous short tap and gos on their 5meter line after a penalty rather than take the usual scrum or 5 meter lineout options. choosing to take a scrum or line can backfire because of the 50 / 50 calls you can get against you so it was refreshing to see us not take the risk and trust that we could get over the line. Also keeping the ball tight from a tap and go also means we were less likely to get isolated and turned over.

Anyway it’s good to see us thinking outside the box.

Yes, I thought that was interesting as well. Me and my lad were then wondering why not have one or two runners as well that the ball could be popped up to after the tap?

Exeter have used this tactic to great affect too over the last two games. They clearly trust their pick and go game and see a try as a sure thing eventually in that situation. We are starting to see our forwards adopt this too and have the belief that our pick and go game or our rolling maul game will reap rewards. Perhaps testament already to Blaze’s work.

You would think that a 5m scrum, tie in a lot of defenders and then try a set piece first phase move would be preferable but as we know the scrum is a lottery at key moments as would be the breakdown on that first phase ball. The tactic seems to be working so far

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »
On reflection I think we have to give some credit to Wuss: beware the team with nothing to lose.

The feeling was that they were getting away with a lot of offside decisions and its difficult to tell on the telly, but as they tired and lost concentration through the 2nd half they started to get pinged more often, which makes me think they were just the right side most of the time.

Early on we tried to counter with a few chips through and that seemed to be working and if we'd continued might have kept them on the back foot a bit longer and created more space. After that we didn't have a decent box kick and chase strategy so we were left with long kicks down the park, which just turned the ball over. When we had the ball we were going sideways or even backwards, as someone said up thread, they would have shown up on google maps.

I can't remember the stats but at HT I think they'd made double our tackles so were likely to tire faster and credit to our guys for hanging on and then taking advantage when Wuss did start to tire. At that point our flair player really could open up and it started to be a joy to watch.

I'm looking forward to watching the development of our young talent and I'm anticipating some really happy days in the next couple of seasons.
+1

+2

Just to add - I thought we always had the ability to win, and that the forwards took on a lot of responsibility was interesting - and essentially how we won it.

But I did think that the ref had an odd game which confused both sides at times. I'm not sure how far offside you need to be to pinged, especially out wider - the scrum calls were in coin flick territory - and one forward pass at the end of the first half was reminiscent of American Football. Breakdown a mess too often, players allowed to use hands too long and it wasn't what the Laws suggest a "contest" at the ruck might look like. But its learning experience all round, I suppose.

But - a win's a win, onward and hopefully upward!
That forward pass was a corker!!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2020, 12:58:21 PM »
I was watching on my PC and the feed was a bit naff...I thought it was my eyes until they showed the move again.....about 30 degrees forwards.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2020, 01:52:36 PM »
Yes, no idea how it was missed. I thought there had been a law change I'd missed!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2020, 02:16:00 PM »
Yes, no idea how it was missed. I thought there had been a law change I'd missed!

It was a classic!

Just started watching Ian Tempest in charge of LI vs Saints and there certainly does appear to be a law change in the ruck......it seems ok for the defending side to use hands way after the ruck being formed.....

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2020, 03:07:48 PM »
Terrible half of rugby but looks like the refs have relaxed from week 1 rather than the players getting used to the more strict policing of the ruck

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
Tempest has been very lenient on LIR at scrum time. Yes, loads of hands in. Two poorish teams for me.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »
Couple of flying in not picked up. You do wonder what the other officials do.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2020, 05:30:45 PM »
"That forward pass was a corker!!"

Bath have just got away with one for their 4th try, not even looked at.

I'll bet that wouldn't happen if there'd been a crowd. Those level with the pass one have called out "forward!" as one and it would be very hard for the ref not to look at it, or at least ask the TMO to check.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2020, 06:34:21 PM »
Tempest has been very lenient on LIR at scrum time. Yes, loads of hands in. Two poorish teams for me.

As if Law 15.11 didn't exist......