Always a Wasp

Author Topic: How Jeff Toomaga-Allen tackled his biggest issue to turnaround fortunes  (Read 3254 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-toomaga-allen-18809350

Jeff Toomaga-Allen sees Bristol Bears prop John Afoa as a 'role model'
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How Jeff Toomaga-Allen tackled his biggest issue to turnaround fortunes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 05:38:02 PM »
Good read and shows a change of coach can have an impact.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 07:30:02 PM »
Jeff is also a really lovely guy too. At a Club BBQ a Sponsor I was alone at our table as 2 walking sticks are no help if you have to manage a plate and cutlery and food too; players can get trodden on, so best to stay put. Up comes Jeff and starts chatting away, bless him, and  offers to get a lunch for me. We have met fleetingly several times and I always get a big smile and wave/chat, and it makes my week!   All the Wasp players  we've have been  as kind.  Thanks Jeff.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »
Starting to really play now as well!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:56:15 PM »
Starting to really play now as well!

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 11:02:08 PM »
He looks happy and hungry.
A bit of niggle at that scrum penalty, the big tackle and counter ruck and the 9s etc are starting to see what he wants to do in the lose too, he had a strong carry after Woolstencroft saw him coming around the corner.
Wonder if he’ll get a rest now against Sale or whether Blackett is managing the TH minutes carefully
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:28:05 PM by JonnyD »

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 11:10:23 PM »
Thought he had a good game today.

Have questioned his performances previous it sometimes I think we underestimate the chanhes required to switch leagues (especially SH to NH rugby). Some players are lucky enough to switch effortlessly but we’re very unsympathetic to those that struggle.

Glad he’s finding his feet and growing in confidence

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 11:47:07 PM »
Craig Dowd took some time to find his game when he came from the SH.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 01:13:54 PM »
He seemed to have a smile on his face and was looking to enjoy being out there. That's half the battle, even at my low level of sports, if I wasn't enjoying the challenge - it wasn't going to end well - regardless of my "ability"

Lets hope we see what made him such a regular for the Hurricanes, as an all round game prop, he will be an asset once he's worked out how the Prem works.

He added: "I think also, being given the confidence from Lee Blackett has been a great thing for me too. Giving me the reins to just play and be confident in myself, open up and do what I do."

It's an interesting quote from the article. Nothing against Dai, all coaching regimes end at some point, many when the synchronicity of team and coaches isn't quite there and that can happen very quickly. It did for us from the start of last season. The one thing I've noticed from Lee's time so far.....is that there have been a lot of smiles, people on the pitch showing leadership and a freedom...sometimes quite worrying levels of freedom - and its interesting that such an attitude has worked for Jeff. It doesn't work for all players or groups of players.

Lets hope between him and Brookes, we have great TH choices and that our scrum remains competitive.

hopwood

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 05:37:29 PM »
I thought at times last season that Dai was maybe experiencing some depression of some sorts.
He looked pretty down the whole time, as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders.
And I think that naturally rubbed-off on to the players around him.
Wasps got stuck in a rut.
And it need a change in energy.

I think Lee's promotion was well timed and just the breathe of fresh air Wasps needed.
As you say...everyone is wearing a smile right now.
And that's good management.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 10:59:46 PM »
Craig Dowd took some time to find his game when he came from the SH.

In the same vein, Lima remains a bit of an enigma. You have to be a pretty decent player to win 15 caps for the ABs but I don't think I have ever seen him play an outstanding game for Wasps. As an AB 10, you would expect him to be confident, exuding class and totally in control. Maybe it was his 9 and 12 that made him what he was. Certainly in the Premiership, the 10 is expected to boss the game.

Last night was a classic example. We seemed to lack direction when he was on the pitch. On comes Jacob and we look a totally different side.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 11:26:36 PM »
Heathen,

For the I'm still undecided about Sops.

Last night the attack, regardless of fly half, show no synchronization at all. mainly because it were a random bunch of players who've never had a game together before, missing the main starters that hold the team together. Simultaneously perhaps different strategies were applied to fly halves yesterday. Sops appeared to be trying lots of different ideas, cross field kicking, taking penalties quickly and trying to run into space. Umaga seemed to come on and manage the game better, pin Worcester back. They were probably different strategies for different times of the game.

With all that said.... I don't see Sops as a fly half for us any more. Off the bench fullback, sure. But he's not exactly justified his wages for me yet. Where as I'd argue Shields and Fekitoa have. I know he's a fantastic player, just not right for us really.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »
Plus one on the above two comments really.
It is easier to see Sops with daylight between him and his predecessor, who often provoked discussion and heated debate.  Now Jacob is  in the frame for the 10 role as the alternative, a more dispassionate analysis probably has Lima as back up 10 or 15. I think he suits 15 better than 10 in our game, and always thought he was very deep for a Wasps team used to playing with a ten in traffic. Now he has acclimatised he looks useful, but for me not first choice.
One thing he can't help is the wages, which must  have put expectation on.

JTA I hope will also settle in time, but whether he becomes first choice only time will tell. Good luck to the fella.

Interesting that Fekitoa settled quickly, but then came via a different route.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 09:49:41 AM »
Must admit I did feel for Sopoaga when he was picked 10 again but was once again lining up in a back line that wasn't our first choice. Think we've got to forget the wages side of things - that's not his fault. We've got a very capable 10 or 15 with him in the squad and that has to be good.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 02:03:40 PM »
Must admit I did feel for Sopoaga when he was picked 10 again but was once again lining up in a back line that wasn't our first choice. Think we've got to forget the wages side of things - that's not his fault. We've got a very capable 10 or 15 with him in the squad and that has to be good.

I'm thinking that a starting XV with Jacob at 10, Jimmy or Ryan at 12 and Lima at 15 provides a backline with so many options, each used to playing 10/12 and providing the opposition with a bit of a problem in deciding who is leading a particular phase of play. I really like the look of Lima at 15 and having that extra playmaker, times 2, is very exciting. Especially with the pace and class at wing. And we have lots of cover!