Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The concerns of grsss roots clubs  (Read 1347 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
The concerns of grsss roots clubs
« on: August 23, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »
Letter that Bucks RFU sent to the RFU about funding cuts :

http://bucksrfu.pitchero.com/news/open-letter-to-rfu---august-2020-30861/

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: The concerns of grsss roots clubs
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 05:01:16 PM »
Just further indication of monumental mismanagement at the RFU, made a lot worse by COVID. Nothing that anyone could not have guessed at.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 07:29:36 AM »
Currently, the RFU is both trying to build/maintain the Professional game whilst concurrently investing in the grass roots game and they're seemingly failing in both.

The pandemic certainly hasn't help their finances with empty stadia, but they are a basket case of mismanagement (both literally and financially).  They seemingly spend vast swathes of cash on stupid things; tens if not hundreds of thousands on their 'Ambassadors' or whatever they were called; whom each a very healthy expenses allowance (to cover them and a Partner) simply to attend games and the odd meeting.  A good number of technology purchases are via their commercial sponsors at inflated costs - At one point they had something like 1200 active mobile phone contracts with O2, but less than 600 full-time employees.  Go figure.

From a strategy standpoint, it's confused.  Most Unions focus on investing in their National Teams on the basis that if success breeds success, then make the national team as successful as possible to drive interest and participation at lower levels.

The RFU are trying to invest heavily in the national teams as well as we the Grassroots and in many ways are not allowing the potential of either to reach - hence Bucks RFU's letter.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »
At one point they had something like 1200 active mobile phone contracts with O2, but less than 600 full-time employees.  Go figure.

I'm not here to defend the RFU but as a retired telecoms engineer who did a lot of work in mobile I'll just point out that data connections and Wifi gateways need separate SIM cards and O2 did a lot of data stuff with the RFU and not just at Twickenham.

I suspect you'll find something similar at  Wasps and the Ricoh with Vodafone.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »
Remember when the game was managed by "57 old farts"? Is it any better, or cheaper now?

I suppose its better in many ways, but at what cost? And was that despite the current management structure and not because of it?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 10:40:52 AM »
I think "old farts" probably start with good intentions but then get into the expenses claim culture and then protect their positions.
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 06:35:51 PM »
I think "old farts" probably start with good intentions but then get into the expenses claim culture and then protect their positions.

Like most MP's and all Cabinet Ministers then!