Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 11526 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2020, 09:10:34 PM »
When it's dry, the wind isn't storm force, and they have their tales up then our squad of young inexperienced flair players can put anyone to the sword.

When it's wet, windy, and we're playing against a team as streetwise as any with a point to prove we 're always going to come up short.

The flags were hardly moving and the game is played mostly in winter..god help us.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »
I'd have taken any of those three! The yellow card scenario with Ross bordered on comedy.

Just a very slow comedy.....some sort of "Surreal humour predicated on deliberate violations of causal reasoning"?

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2020, 09:38:13 PM »
This is no surprise really.
It's wasps every season.

A number of wins that make you think we've turned a corner, followed by a performance where we would struggle to beat a local club side.

It's not a new thing. Often happens on a rainy Friday night at sale or Newcastle... Or against pertemps bees.

I now take it as being part of our DNA, part of our style, part of being a wasps fan. Sometimes things don't click and when they don't we're in for a hiding

I can't agree with that: Sale are not Pertemps Bees and they are challenging for the premiership this season.
Games like this, in these conditions, are often determined by the early exchanges and the early ref decisions. We came off worst in both areas, and didn't have enough, to fight back.

backdoc, will your winnings buy you a decent bottle of Bordeaux?

John, Exeter have won as well so that is half my season ticket paid for today. If I can hang on to it.
I have a very good supplier outside Cahors for Malbec  [Mas del Périé - Fabien Jouves]. Very good value, and the only wine producer I have met who when tasting with you, swallows every mouthful. What better recommendation could you have!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2020, 09:44:55 PM »
I'd have taken any of those three! The yellow card scenario with Ross bordered on comedy.

Just a very slow comedy.....some sort of "Surreal humour predicated on deliberate violations of causal reasoning"?
Haha - indeed. I enjoyed the TMO's polite but insistent tone. Ross wanted the yellow more than anyone - surprised he didn't get in the refs ear himself to get a rest.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2020, 12:58:54 AM »
Love the way cmk has to basically be told 'no, it is not just a pen'.....
I'll stop short of saying bring JP Spoil back but feel the RFU should have tightened its belts further.
Indeed!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2020, 07:53:49 AM »
Just as an aside, Saints play Bath tonight. Whoever wins the game will be 3rd tonight. We go down to 5th.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2020, 08:13:11 AM »
Just as an aside, Saints play Bath tonight. Whoever wins the game will be 3rd tonight. We go down to 5th.

Which is currently about our level. Wouldn't be too disappointed if we ended up there. Longer rest for new season and guaranteed European Championship.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »
Tough game for Bath and we get an extra 24 hours rest, he said, desperately looking for more straws  :)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »

Which is currently about our level. Wouldn't be too disappointed if we ended up there. Longer rest for new season and guaranteed European Championship.

I’d agree with this, top 6 and the financial boost that top flight European rugby will give us is essential for next season.
The younger players being able to play at that level will push them on further and then we can aim for top 4 again.
Not sure we’re quite top 4 level just yet.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2020, 12:04:27 PM »
Well done all people in the  stands (not the cardboard ones obviously) and the team members for  making such a noisy row.  Congratulations.  I know some was re-played from last year but it was still much louder than  the other matches.     

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2020, 09:34:01 PM »
The only point of being in the top 4 is to have a crack at winning it. After watching Exeter's performance at Bristol there is no chance of anyone beating them.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2020, 09:40:13 PM »
Mellie, it doesn't matter. Being in top 4 automatically means you're more likely to win it than if you're in 5th.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2020, 09:54:01 PM »
Agreed but I'm not sure any other team can beat Exeter now. They look far too good. But there is always hope.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2020, 07:41:21 AM »
Beat Quins and Tigers and we should be OK for top 6. Although, it is probable that it will be the top 8 from Eng, Fra, and the Pro 14 (with their usual country provisos, that with play in the expanded Heiny next season. 8 pools of 3 teams, 2 H, 2 A games. From the Pro14, possible qualifiers will be 3/4 Irish, 1/2 Scottish, 2/3 Welsh and 1 Italian.