Always a Wasp

Author Topic: So what to do v Bath?  (Read 4125 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
So what to do v Bath?
« on: August 25, 2020, 08:35:22 PM »
Really need to get the Sale game out of the system. So looking forward we've got a tempting six day break before Bath. Tempting as it must be feasible to play most of tonight's team again with a normal sort of break in between. I'd go all in and go much the same again as tonight's squad injuries permitting. I think I'd find a place for Watson, Gaskell and Sopoaga in the 23 probably for Bassett (looks injured), Atkinson and Cardall. I'm actually more hopeful for the Bath game. Sale just don't suit us and often frustrate us.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: So what to do v Bath?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »
What to do? Pray

In all seriousness just hope it was a bad day and we get mojo back for next game. But Bath will be near full strength on Monday and I fear them more than Sale.

Not sure about squad choices, hoping we can go near full strength again, but with player welfare and all it gets tricky.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 09:05:05 PM »
The squad need to take long hard look at the video. Forget CMK. When we come up against a physical side that are well organised, we always struggle. If we had got front foot ball tonight, we would probaly have won the game. Any team that keeps us on the back foot has an advantage. We need a plan B. I can't see one at the moment. Coaches have some work to do.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:12:05 PM »
We have to win...I live opposite a Bath season ticket holder

Weather is forecast to be dry and fairly calm - but it has pissed down here loads - so the pitch will need to drain......

If we play it loose, then we need to remember that Bath's backs are unlikely to be profligate with ball.....but overall, put the game behind us, have a long think about our motivations and ability to think on our feet and if we're light in the pack, then look to play territory and pace.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:56:52 PM by mike909 »

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 09:14:59 PM »
Hate to state the obvious but Bath are more physical than Sale..they have a huge pack.
I wouldn't make wholesale changes but i'd have Gaskell in for Rowlands and split up the Willis / Young combo

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:45:47 PM »
The conditions count for a lot. We cannot grind Bath down, so we have to run the life out of them. I would definitely play Willis and Young again, but with Vailanu on for 50+ mins.

And find a way to get Oghre and Barbeary on the pitch for a reasonable amount of time.

If it is dry we can do it. It is still bloody summer!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 10:21:16 PM »
Presuming that game time from Worcester, Sale and Bath counts as a week, the following are over 80 mins played...

Mills - 119
Umaga -101
Vellacott - 95
JTA - 92
Cruse - 82
Minozzi - 81

The following have featured in every game (every player has to miss at least one game):

Mills
Minozzi
JTA
Umaga
Vailanu
Vellacott
West

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 01:01:58 AM »
Jacob I hope won't be that bad again. Need to get the scrum working.
I would start most of today's lot again.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 09:20:26 AM »
Presuming that game time from Worcester, Sale and Bath counts as a week, the following are over 80 mins played...

Mills - 119
Umaga -101
Vellacott - 95
JTA - 92
Cruse - 82
Minozzi - 81

The following have featured in every game (every player has to miss at least one game):

Mills
Minozzi
JTA
Umaga
Vailanu
Vellacott
West

In commentary last night, they said that Jono Ross was able to start a 3rd game in a row as the 3 games had not all fallen within a week.  If that's the case, then what's the point of that rule?  No team is playing 3 games in a week as the minimum turnaround any team has between matches is 4 games.  2 of these on the bounce = 8 days > 1 week.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
I think things do need mixing up a bit against Bath.  The 1st/2nd team approach was well suited to our first run of 3 games, allowing us to target Saints and Sale and trust in a weaker side against Worcester.  Next 4 are all strong opponents and apart from trying to second guess what sort of side each will put out, we can't put a side out against each of those that will be capable of beating their first choice 23 more often than not.

There were some reliable, experienced heads in the Worcester starting XV that would be far from out of place in Wasps' first team, the likes of Miller, Gaskell, Lima, McIntyre, Watson could all rotate without too much of a drop off, plus emerging players like Oghre, Barbeary, Vellacott, T Willis.  Shame we couldn't retain Ash on an extended contract for the rest of the season as he would give us a bit more depth of experience.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »
For what its worth, here is the team I would put out:
1: Mcintyre
2: Taylor
3: Alo
4: Launchbury
5: Rowlands
6: J Willis
7: Young
8: Valianu
9: Robson
10: Gopperth
11: Minozzi
12: Mills
13: Fekitoa
14: Kibirige
15: Sopoaga

16: Oghre
17: Harris
18: Owlett
19: Cardall
20: Shields
21: T Willis
22: Miller
23: Odogwu

Dropping Umaga is partially due to his performance yesterday but mainly due to him maybe needing a bit of a rest. I also think that there has been so much hype about him that this would show him that he always needs to work to make the starting team. Big boys will be needed up front in the pack. Flog J Willis to own the breakdowns and on the 60th minute and send on T Willis. Likewise for Vailanu and Shields. Miller to cover both FH and FB. Odogwu to cover wing and could come on to bring some added physicality in the face of Roco. These are just my Wednesday morning thoughts, what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:42:33 AM by SilverShire »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »
In terms of pragmatic selection - hard to argue with that.

Forwards more likely to be very near that - but if we might have better ball and go forwards, then I'd expect Jacob to retain the 10 shirt.

Its probably the same for all teams....we read too much into both good and bad results - and sometimes - its just one of those days. Even though, earlier in the season we scored 60 vs Sarries - I don't think Sarries would have taken it as indicative of their form or selection. It was a day when everything went to hand for us.

And its like the scrum, I'm an old prop and sometimes your combination just doesn't work out one week. Nothing anyone could pin down

I'd hope it a bit of a wake up call for the players - I think we'll select a pack much like that - and I'd probably want to start lima at 15 as ell. But expect not too many changes

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »
Quite like that Silvershire. I think it will be something akin to that. I was thinking about where we are looking a bit thin. At the moment it's TH where we seem to be down to BA and JO. SM and ZZ I think can cover but not ideal and not sure what the extent of KB and JTA's injuries are. We look alright elsewhere. I'm not too worried about the Sale game - it had all the hallmarks of a banana skin - expectation on us/Sale stinging from two bad shows/a squally storm/media hype around us etc etc. You just get a feeling that some games aren't going to pan out. I do think we'll beat Bath though.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »
For what its worth, here is the team I would put out:
1: Mcintyre
2: Taylor
3: Alo
4: Launchbury
5: Rowlands
6: J Willis
7: Young
8: Valianu
9: Robson
10: Gopperth
11: Minozzi
12: Mills
13: Fekitoa
14: Kibirige
15: Sopoaga

16: Oghre
17: Harris
18: Owlett
19: Cardall
20: Shields
21: T Willis
22: Miller
23: Odogwu

Dropping Umaga is partially due to his performance yesterday but mainly due to him maybe needing a bit of a rest. I also think that there has been so much hype about him that this would show him that he always needs to work to make the starting team. Big boys will be needed up front in the pack. Flog J Willis to own the breakdowns and on the 60th minute and send on T Willis. Likewise for Vailanu and Shields. Miller to cover both FH and FB. Odogwu to cover wing and could come on to bring some added physicality in the face of Roco. These are just my Wednesday morning thoughts, what do you guys think?

On the whole a good selection but you have no SH cover.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
We need forwards who can put us on the front foot. Tibo being injured is a big loss IMHO. Before the break he was real menace to the opposition. Have to find room for Gaby and Alfie. Plus a 10 who can also play on the back foot if necessary.