Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 'We will fix it' - Lee Blackett reacts to Sale Sharks loss.  (Read 2037 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
'We will fix it' - Lee Blackett reacts to Sale Sharks loss.
« on: August 26, 2020, 09:38:40 AM »
Report by Bobby Bridge:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-lee-blackett-18828776

Everything Lee said after the match.

It is my opinion, that we got caught by a perfect storm last night: conditions were abysmal and suited Sale as much as they didn't suit us, we played well below our recent standard and Sale halted their slide (had to happen sometime). Also, and I don't often complain about the ref, I found it very hard to fathom many of CMK's decisions. We were never going to win yesterday with him refereeing the way he did. I don't think he caused our loss but I don't think any players have much respect for him. His initial decision of 'penalty only' when Jono Ross knocked Benji off the ball was ridiculous. Only the persistence of the TMO finally got him to get his yellow card out. I know it was late in the game but still.......
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 'We will fix it' - Lee Blackett reacts to Sale Sharks loss.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »
So not from the Dai "I can't comment on the ref" public face (although in discussion in Toulouse he did put an arm round me and whisper the ref really was bad after I had been offering my opinion).

The damning bit there is that the players have no respect for him.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:39:41 AM »
So not from the Dai "I can't comment on the ref" public face (although in discussion in Toulouse he did put an arm round me and whisper the ref really was bad after I had been offering my opinion).

To be clear, that's not what is said in the Article, the comments re players respecting the Ref was more RossM's opinion

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
Ah - ok. But why be fair to CMK
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »
Seems a fair statement and its easy to read too much into one game and one result. We've done the same re wins!

Re the comments on the ref - I think Lee is only suggesting what many observers have said about reffing in general, but last night was especially confusing in terms of decision making and evenness of calls

My two bug bears are firstly front row penalties (I'm an old prop and I'm confused by 75% of penalties awarded) last night Sale got a scrum penalty, second half, when their LH folded and dived for the floor....at a point in the game that a penalty for Wasps could have got us back into the game (however undeserved!)

And secondly the tackle/ruck. The Laws ask that the tackler releases and rolls and gets to feet prior to trying for the ball. And that only the first opposition to tackled player can use their hands and only if they are clearly on the ball and a ruck (only tow players required) has not formed

Last night we saw hands allowed in rucks for reason not permitted in the Laws, but articulated out loud by the ref......amongst a number of other bizarre decisions

Tackle - Law 14. 5
Ruck - Law 15.11

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=showallbynumbers

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »
Im sure they will put it right. Sale was just one of those games for a few reasons. Top 8 look like getting top tier European qualification so we should be ok for that. Top 4? Anyone's guess at the minute. There will be loads of twists and turns to come.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »
Several times Sale were hanging onto feet or legs and playing people off the ball. I know it happens in all games by all sides, just seemed very obvious yesterday at key moments. They realised it wasn't being watched for and took advantage.

It definitely shows that once the ref has decided you are infringing they filter more errors. Both teams offside at re-start all game, but Wasps get pinged...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »

To be clear, that's not what is said in the Article, the comments re players respecting the Ref was more RossM's opinion

You're quite right. It was only my opinion and I was referring to CMK rather than referees in general.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 11:49:09 AM »
Several times Sale were hanging onto feet or legs and playing people off the ball. I know it happens in all games by all sides, just seemed very obvious yesterday at key moments. They realised it wasn't being watched for and took advantage.

It definitely shows that once the ref has decided you are infringing they filter more errors. Both teams offside at re-start all game, but Wasps get pinged...

And in general play - Sale's offside was embarrassing....their own players were looking guilty and retreating quickly, like they expected to get pinged....but nothing happened again and again....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Yes, and their defence looked great as a result. They were decent in defence but it helps when you can use that extra few feet forward without being penalised. I think CMK's "attitude" to who was going to get consistently pinged was summed up by the Kibirige offside from kick off and the Ross yellow.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »
Yes, and their defence looked great as a result. They were decent in defence but it helps when you can use that extra few feet forward without being penalised. I think CMK's "attitude" to who was going to get consistently pinged was summed up by the Kibirige offside from kick off and the Ross yellow.

It certainly didn't help - when looking towards the centres on defence, they were level with the back of the breakdown, before the ball was released. The angle was extraordinary - like pinging anyone for kick off.....

That extra metre plus meant "go forwards" was negated. We were being too honest...but  I guess we'd have been pinged.....

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 01:42:01 PM »
Seconds before Ross's yellow, it look as it someone was holding Vellacott back by tugging on his top. I thought that was a penalty/yellow card offence in the rulebook? or am I wrong and making up rules like CMK?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 02:00:13 PM »
The odd thing for me was yellows. We would have  been yellowed at the start by most refs for persistent infringement in our 22.
Sale should have been yellowed later for dragging down as blatantly as you can get as we rolled up to their line practically. Twice probably if we are honest, for persistent infringement similar to us at the start.
Then we get a blatant yellow that he has to be arm twisted into, initally not given on the basis that there were covering players from what I could hear.

Some players were so offside at times they could have swapped shirts.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:01:51 PM by westwaleswasp »

MarleyWasp

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 03:10:23 PM »
Some players were so offside at times they could have swapped shirts.

Pretty certain Jake Cooper-Woolley forgot he's no longer a Wasps player on at least one occasion...