Always a Wasp

Author Topic: So what to do v Bath?  (Read 4462 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: So what to do v Bath?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 05:04:21 PM »
I would have said that unless Atkinson is showing something sensational in training and is looking better than any of the other options, then its too early.

Judging when to play a young player, especially in a critical position is very hard, too early & he could be ruined.
That fact he made bench tells me he must be good and with no A league hows he going to progress. It didn't do Smith any harm as he is looking like the real deal at 21. Im not saying start the kid but coming on and getting some decent pitch minutes..

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2020, 09:29:51 AM »
The thing with Smith though was, that he WAS that good in training that he appeared ready but more importantly, they had no one else.
IMO Quins stunted his growth slightly in that he played far more that first season than he should have done, had they had a more experienced player to take some of the load.

I'm not saying Atkinson isn't ready, I have no idea having not seen him play more than the few minutes on Tuesday night. Wasps have other options & I'd rather Umaga wasn't "dropped" on the back of a few mistakes either for Atkinson (unless he really is spectacular in training!), or any of the other options. Umaga won't progress if he's dropped every time he has a bad game.

The coaches need to find a sensible balance between all the options that mean that wasps win, develop their young players & keep their seasoned professionals happy too. That's what they get paid for  :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
I would agree with your second paragraph. Umaga is a youngish player who until this game was lauded. This match was in a gale with heavy rain and basically a malfunctioning team. He messed up a bit. Providing he is not transgressing the hours equation he needs to play. He has to have the confidence to have failures. Perhaps the ream around him will function better next time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
If our young, inexperienced yet undeniably gifted 10 didn't cope well, I can't see how the answer is to try an even younger and more inexperienced 10 in his place, however much natural talent we hope he has.

The fact is we needed someone with a wealth of experience who could see the game needed to be played in a different way.  Someone who could hunker down in the rain and wind and grind out a win.  Jacob isn't that player yet.  I have no doubt he will be, but we needed Andy Goode.

I have no doubt that Jacob will already be a little wiser and will use the defeat to become a better player. If he's fit, and not too tired I'd play him at 10, Gopps at 12 so there is an experienced head next to him, and put Sopps at 15, or possibly on the bench.

You learn a lot more from loses than from wins, and it's gonna happen again at some stage, so he needs to get used to it.-
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »
+ 1, VV,  in particular the last line.  You learn by your mistakes  and your responses to them.