Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Pyrethrum needed.  (Read 1893 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Pyrethrum needed.
« on: August 29, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »
Over the lat couple of years the use of the caterpiller has become more common, but since the post-COVID resumption has become ridiculous.

In a recent Tigers match they had a 5 person version.  I was watching the Edinburgh/Glasgow game last night and players were added to the caterpiller after the ref had called "use it" (and that is another bone of contention - I thought it meant the ball must be used within 5, not 10, seconds).

We discussed it last night but could not see how the laws could be worded to prevent a version of it.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrethrum needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 09:29:26 AM »
I think the ref should call 'use it' as soon as it is available and raise their hand to indicate that the clock is ticking. The hand goes down at 5 seconds and it is deemed out and in free play and nor more offside, or the hand goes down as soon as the scrum half (or whoever) goes to lift it (or dummies the same). If players bind after use it, so be it, but it doesn't stop the clock (but might protect the scrum half).

It is available as soon as it can be easily reached by the scrum half, even if they are not there. If the scrum stalls going forwards, 'use it' should be called. Not once, twice etc.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:35:38 AM »
Referees when interviewed (usually Barnes) say the right things about use it but never never enact it.  The crawling beasty is something that has me screaming at the screen . I thought they had outlawed it. You never saw it during the NZ series recently.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 09:42:29 AM »
how about "Use it...4...3...2...1...in play"?

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 09:47:09 AM »
I believe the caterpillar was invented by the Drunken Wasps team at a Fat Blokes 7s at least 15 years ago.

We decided to do a conga for a laugh when we received the ball from a kickoff. The ruck was moving forward with us singing and kicking our legs. Much more entertainment value than the professionals. And more effective. Not knowing what to do next we passed the ball out to Rapid Ron who sprinted away from the bemused opposition and scored.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 09:50:14 AM »

This. Love to hear one ref use it.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 12:38:40 PM »
I think the players are coached enough by the referees anyway. They don't count down for things like rolling away. If you have two things - a limit on the amount of players in the caterpillar and a strictly enforced five second rule (with no countdown) you'll soon get rid of it. By not counting down you might even get people playing on 4,3 or 2.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 12:51:09 PM »
As much as I loathe the caterpillar and think it's a scourge on the game, my biggest caterpillar based frustration is that Wasps don't use it, especially when Dobby then has a box kick charged down as a result.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »
I think the players are coached enough by the referees anyway. They don't count down for things like rolling away. If you have two things - a limit on the amount of players in the caterpillar and a strictly enforced five second rule (with no countdown) you'll soon get rid of it. By not counting down you might even get people playing on 4,3 or 2.

I agree. As soon as the ball is visible ref should call "use it" even if 9 hasn't arrived. Count silently  to 5 then blow for a free kick. Do that a couple of times and I bet they'll start using it quicker. In addition, to my eyes the ball is frequently not properly between two legs as it is manipulated down the caterpillar and/or players are not properly bound and therefore not part of the ruck. Call "ball is out" a few times and the 9 will quickly realise he doesn't want to be tackled while tending to his caterpillar

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »
There's a couple of things that spring to mind to try and dissaude this tactic.

The 1st is concentrating on how the players"bind" to each other whilst in single file. To be bound to another player, the upper arm and I think part of front/side shoulder needs to be in contact with another player. Quite often players simply have their hand on another player infront.. if so.. that player and everyone else behind is not boound.. the ball is out.. no offside for the opposition.. opposition players are free to come around and pilfer the ball.

Another idea relates to what consitutes as a ball still being in the ruck.

The ball doesn't have to under a body to be deemed "still  in the ruck".. it can be at the base of the ruck, and in the case of the scrum, not particularly close to the 8's feet, but still part of the scrum (ruck).

So is there some sort of theroretical semi-circle, from one side of the ruck to the other side.. roughly incorporating the base area.. if so.. does a line of players protuding out the back really count as being "part" of the ruck..

From the naked eye.. I'd say no.. again, ball  is deemed out, and possibly the players in the caterpillar could be deemed to be offside if they try to prevent opposition players from getting to the ball.

I have a feeling similar ideas, laws (interpretations) were used to dissaude teams from using the mobile version of the caterpillar, the "trucking and trailer" driving maul..

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »

Good to know Wayne Barnes uses this site! :) :)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 07:31:45 AM »
Very  happy that someone else noticed that too.     ;D