Always a Wasp

Author Topic: A Match Thread  (Read 15791 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: A Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »
I think some may still be bearing very old grudges regarding Wasps and uncontested scrums!

Looks that way!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »
We were the only team to win a penalty in scrums, would have won another had Barnes been on the other side for the first scrum too (same offense as the 4th, which we were awarded). 5th looked like Stuart was on West's arm, but either way it was messy and Barnes just let it play on.

And, if you're going to go uncontested as a strategy, you lose props, not hookers, otherwise your lineout goes to hell...

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2020, 12:18:02 PM »
You should see the bile on the Tigers board about uncontested scrums.

It will be interesting to see if there is a citing over Thomas' clearout

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2020, 12:51:30 PM »
I think some may still be bearing very old grudges regarding Wasps and uncontested scrums!

Yeah - 2008 being quoted on the guardian......as evidence of "an issue"

In this game, the loss of Wasps players and uncontested ought to have advantaged a Bath team with a fab back row and a mainly international backline

That said - the shock for them was possibly that one on one, we could mark their wingers with our pace!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
Isn't Monye referring to the situation with having a prop hooking..in this case he is right.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »

The thing I find most infuriating about that thread is that if any club's supporters should know about the dangers of scrummaging it's Leicester. Yet some seem perfectly keen to see other club's players put themselves at risk to avoid uncontested scrums.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »
The match was refereed by Wayne Barnes who- love him or hate him- is IMHO the finest referee on the planet. He handled the situation perfectly, we didn't refuse to provide a hooker following the two nominated hookers were injured, Barnes made sure that the person who stepped forward was sufficiently trained and experienced to ensure that there wouldn't be a safety issue. Said player wasn't confident so Barnes ordered uncontested scrums. Exactly what a referee should be doing, putting player safety above all other concerns, good work.

Tigers supporters can moan at Barnes, if any one of them want to ask Tommy Taylor if his injury was "faked" so we could gain an advantage they're more than welcome as long as they do it to his face and we can watch the outcome.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
I think many people are forgetting that this was West's second premiership start in his day job as loose head. It would be an act of madness to expect him to play at 2.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »

The thing I find most infuriating about that thread is that if any club's supporters should know about the dangers of scrummaging it's Leicester. Yet some seem perfectly keen to see other club's players put themselves at risk to avoid uncontested scrums.
Remember Marley, your dealing with the universally agreed, most sanctimonious and arrogant set of supporters...its mitigation to anything they think. 

MarleyWasp

« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2020, 03:44:26 PM »
Good point, well made.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
TBF the thread I read on the Tiger message board was more about why Wasps didn't go down to 14 men when we went uncontested.
Only a couple of posters mentioned the "cheating Wasps".
Lets face it, Wasps did have form for bending the uncontested scrum rules many years ago!

I do find it very amusing that supporters of Tigers get all sanctimonious about cheating, presumably that's only when other teams cheat, they have always seemed very happy with their own side doing it over the years....

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »
The head injury exemption in terms of front row replacements is also open to abuse.  It was clear from replays that Oghre took a blow to the head and he required a lengthy spell of treatment and Wasps would have allowed him to continue if he could have done so safely, so no-one can seriously suggest otherwise. Wasps were even willing to risk a loose head at hooker to avoid uncontested scrums, and it was really West's less than convincing answer when asked by Barnes that averted this.  Credit to Barnes for managing the situation correctly.

However, if a team really did want to manipulate a situation to their advantage as with France in the infamous 100 minute match (also Barnes), if a medic says it's a head injury then a ref, whatever his suspicions, is not qualified to overrule that view, meaning that the team stays at 15.  I'm sure physios, doctors etc have been sent on to attend prop injuries before now with a brief from the DOR saying "If the ref asks, he's definitely had a knock to his head as well as whatever else you might need to treat him for".

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2020, 05:56:31 PM »

Remember Marley, your dealing with the universally agreed, most sanctimonious and arrogant set of supporters...its mitigation to anything they think.

And on current form and league position they would be playing in the Championship next season if the EAs hadn't been caught cheating.
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
What most of the Tigers fans seemed to ignore was what had happened in the game before the injuries. Apparently we were doomed to get mullered by their forwards and were desperate to go uncontested to avoid scrums even though we hadn't lost one and would be consigning ourselves to having no line out thrower.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2020, 06:38:54 PM »
What most of the Tigers fans seemed to ignore was what had happened in the game before the injuries. Apparently we were doomed to get mullered by their forwards and were desperate to go uncontested to avoid scrums even though we hadn't lost one and would be consigning ourselves to having no line out thrower.

We had a slight advantage in the scrums I felt, won a penalty, and could have had another one or two.