Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The run in.  (Read 19702 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The run in.
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2020, 03:16:54 PM »
Could have done without Quins winning last night.  Although, mind you, given they didn't really create anything and their 3 tries and initial 3 penalties all came from Gloucester errors, perhaps it might have given them false confidence.

Agreed not sure how much to read into that match, Glaws were terrible, Cips was on one of his bad games.

He quite literally kicked the ball into Quins hands at one point and they ran it back for a try. Plus the forward pass which was an easy walk-in for Glaws.

Glaws were indeed terrible and I think that is possibly the worst I have seen Cips play. His mind was not on his rugby. I was surprised that Skivington didn't take him off at HT.

The rose tints on here remember his stellar performances but there were a good many brain fart matches. He is going through a period of brain fartology.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
He was trying to outdo Marland Yarde

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
Could have done without Quins winning last night.  Although, mind you, given they didn't really create anything and their 3 tries and initial 3 penalties all came from Gloucester errors, perhaps it might have given them false confidence.

Agreed not sure how much to read into that match, Glaws were terrible, Cips was on one of his bad games.

He quite literally kicked the ball into Quins hands at one point and they ran it back for a try. Plus the forward pass which was an easy walk-in for Glaws.

Glaws were indeed terrible and I think that is possibly the worst I have seen Cips play. His mind was not on his rugby. I was surprised that Skivington didn't take him off at HT.

I think we can all be quite content with how the no10 situation has worked out for us.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2020, 06:02:40 PM »
Certainly content with Jacob, although he too will have awful days like Sale this year, it is inevitable given his age and the way he plays.

Can't honestly say that I was content about Lima's stint as first choice ten, I can't remember any great games for us from him, just flashes. Glad he is here now, good option as back up, but are there any remaining people here who view him as near first choice at 10 or 15? Genuine question, not trying to provoke, I know he had a pretty large vocal support here, more so than at DW. Where does he sit in the scheme if things in people's opinion?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:12:38 PM by westwaleswasp »

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Certainly content with Jacob, although he too will have awful days like Sale this year, it is inevitable given his age and the way he plays.

Can't honestly say that I was content about Lima's stint as first choice ten, I can't remember any great games for us from him, just flashes. Glad he is here now, good option as back up, but are there any remaining people here who view him as near first choice at 10 or 15? Genuine question, not trying to provoke, I know he had a pretty large vocal support here, more so than at DW. Where does he sit in the scheme if things in people's opinion?

None of the team were fully "clicking" a lot of the time, so not entirely sure we can be critical of Lima in isolation. Also we don't know what he was being asked to do either, so there could be a lot of factors in the apparent under-performing. If he now has stints at 10 with the team playing as it is at the moment and it does not work out then perhaps he is not right for Wasps.

Some of his play at 15 showed some class though.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2020, 11:07:05 PM »

None of the team were fully "clicking" a lot of the time, so not entirely sure we can be critical of Lima in isolation. Also we don't know what he was being asked to do either, so there could be a lot of factors in the apparent under-performing. If he now has stints at 10 with the team playing as it is at the moment and it does not work out then perhaps he is not right for Wasps.

Some of his play at 15 showed some class though.

I didn't find him convincing at ten though I thought some posters were rather keen to see him fail. Rather fortuitously he seems to have clicked at 15 and looks a lot more comfortable. I like Matteo more and more at either FB or on the wing.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »
I always said he was too deep for what I wanted from a Wasps ten, just not what I want us to play like, and I think the team just could not adjust from a ten in traffic to ten in the pocket, it negated our strengths. Unfair to blame him, Dai knew what he was bringing in.  Often wondered if Dai wanted a lot more structure to us but had a team that was full of players who excelled in broken play,  so just went with it, and bringing in Lima was part of a plan to get us into a more territorial game with fewer hare em scare em moments.

I totally agree Lima did not get a cohesive team to play around. Then again when we missed Cipriani through injury we sometimes clicked, and sometimes did not, so it is possible had Lima been playing with that era Wasps he would have had the same issues

I am glad it worked out for him now as a fifteen. Minozzi is a super talent, I really look forward to watching him, and has been super under the high ball, so for me Lima is still more bench that starting given a full squad.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2020, 07:47:10 AM »
when we missed Cipriani through injury we sometimes clicked,

But most games in that case we had Jimmy. Lima's big problem was arriving late and having no JG to learn systems off and be protected by - rather like Jacob has benefited from.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2020, 07:56:21 AM »
I think Sops has had his best games at Fullback. That's not to say he can't be a good fly half.

That said, even under Blackett the best fly halves are Jacob and Jimmy by a long way. They're very different, yet stick to a roughly similar game plan. But Sopoaga hasn't looked as good in his (only) opportunity at 10 under Blackett.

For the future Sopoaga is more of a novelty or another experiment. I don't think he's a plan for future, but I do really want him to work and be this incredible player. It's frustrating really.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2020, 08:41:38 AM »
Our style of play when Lima arrived from NZ, was different to what he was used to down under. He was part of a team that did all the thinking for him. He basically did little more than shovel the ball on. I accept that is a bit harsh but great things were expected from him.

We are now playing a very different style from when he arrived (and with a fit squad, well motivated etc.etc). Unfortunately for him, we have a fit Jimmy and Jacob has stepped up and with Charlie coming through, his chances of playing in the 10 shirt are very, very limited. He has more chance of playing at 15 but again we have some good options without him.

A real shame. He is a nice guy and I feel for him at times, that his journey to the NH has not worked in the way that he or the the Club had hoped. Malakai on the other hand, has been brilliant. Just shows that France was not the place for him.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »
Our style of play when Lima arrived from NZ, was different to what he was used to down under. He was part of a team that did all the thinking for him. He basically did little more than shovel the ball on. I accept that is a bit harsh but great things were expected from him.

We are now playing a very different style from when he arrived (and with a fit squad, well motivated etc.etc). Unfortunately for him, we have a fit Jimmy and Jacob has stepped up and with Charlie coming through, his chances of playing in the 10 shirt are very, very limited. He has more chance of playing at 15 but again we have some good options without him.

A real shame. He is a nice guy and I feel for him at times, that his journey to the NH has not worked in the way that he or the the Club had hoped. Malakai on the other hand, has been brilliant. Just shows that France was not the place for him.

This completely.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2020, 09:32:45 AM »
I think the fact that Sopoaga has hardly played since the break and we've hardly noticed says it all.

I want him to succeed, but with a strong squad, his opportunities will now be limited.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
I think Malakai shows the benefit of not coming directly from a glorious career in NZ, having those troubles in France meant he had lower expectations on his shoulders and already experienced NH attritional rugby. He slotted in very, very quickly.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2020, 05:37:40 PM »
Malakai plays like a bull. I would not want to be playing against him.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

loverugby1979

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »
I think that Sops is a great guy but he hasn't space at Wasps. Like 10. We have Umaga, Jimmy, Atkinson and Mills or  like 15. Minozzi and Miller.

I think that we can saved much money of his contract but giving him a good farewell the next year.