Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The run in.  (Read 19753 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The run in.
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
Exeter will have had a QF and probably a SF in the two preceding games, with a final possibly to follow. I don't think they will be able to put out a full first team.
I think it is Quins we have to worry about.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
Exeter 100000
Sale 71
Bristol 67
Wasps 65
Bath 64

Agree with your placings. Which is a shame as I don't see us (or anyone) beating Exeter. If we beat a weakend team of theirs in the regular season, then a) we might get 2nd or 3rd and so play Sale or Bris & b) gain a bit of confidence for if we meet them in the final. So every incentive to go for it!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »
I think we'll end up 5th on 69 and the LBP for Bris will bite us on the arse.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2020, 02:28:18 PM »
Could have done without Quins winning last night.  Although, mind you, given they didn't really create anything and their 3 tries and initial 3 penalties all came from Gloucester errors, perhaps it might have given them false confidence.

Not sure how i'm going to fill the void over the next 2 weeks, been spoilt with twice-weekly games! Champions Cup isn't the same as watching a Wasps game.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2020, 03:10:10 PM »
Watching last nights Quinns game I thought they played a very clever game. Kicked to a very fats & creative back 3 & put them under so much pressure Gloz imploded & made mistake after mistake.
Something wasps need to be careful of.
The final game at Sandy Park will be interesting. Depending on how the other teams are standing it may be in Exeter's interest to lose to get themselves a better semi final opponent? Will they want to rest key players or, if a likely home semi against Wasps themselves looks likely, they may want a heavy win to put down a marker.

Can't remember what year but Wasps got absolutely pumped at Welford road but them demolished Tigers in a final a week or so later (details from those with better memories welcome) Mind games from Shaun at the time I think.

05 Premiership final I believe.

Final game vs Chiefs is at the Ricoh, not Sandy Park.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2020, 03:23:31 PM »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2020, 04:10:12 PM »
Final game vs Chiefs is at the Ricoh, not Sandy Park.

Is it? Thanks, forgot that...not that I think it will make a huge difference but you never know

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »

Can't remember what year but Wasps got absolutely pumped at Welford road but them demolished Tigers in a final a week or so later (details from those with better memories welcome) Mind games from Shaun at the time I think.

It was the 2006/7 season. In the final premiership round Wasps were beaten by Tigers 40-26, then, about 3 weeks later we beat them in the Heinekin Cup final, at Twickenham, 25-9.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2020, 10:23:37 AM »

It was the 2006/7 season. In the final premiership round Wasps were beaten by Tigers 40-26, then, about 3 weeks later we beat them in the Heinekin Cup final, at Twickenham, 25-9.

And 2005 we lost the final round of the season 45-10 at WR before beating them 39-14 in the final 2 weeks later.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2020, 10:38:16 AM »
DGP - you beat me to it!

After the previous week's drubbing at the (un)Magic Roundabout, I wasn't looking forward to the final with any great expectations.
What a game that was! 39-14 as you say.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
And 2005 we lost the final round of the season 45-10 at WR before beating them 39-14 in the final 2 weeks later.

Thats the one I was thinking of, thanks

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »

I had forgotten about that one - sorry

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2020, 02:28:15 PM »
Could have done without Quins winning last night.  Although, mind you, given they didn't really create anything and their 3 tries and initial 3 penalties all came from Gloucester errors, perhaps it might have given them false confidence.

Agreed not sure how much to read into that match, Glaws were terrible, Cips was on one of his bad games.

He quite literally kicked the ball into Quins hands at one point and they ran it back for a try. Plus the forward pass which was an easy walk-in for Glaws.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2020, 02:57:30 PM »

Agreed not sure how much to read into that match, Glaws were terrible, Cips was on one of his bad games.

He quite literally kicked the ball into Quins hands at one point and they ran it back for a try. Plus the forward pass which was an easy walk-in for Glaws.

Glaws were indeed terrible and I think that is possibly the worst I have seen Cips play. His mind was not on his rugby. I was surprised that Skivington didn't take him off at HT.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!