Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The run in.  (Read 19744 times)

SteveTodd

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The run in.
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2020, 07:44:12 PM »
What sort of team will Saracens field against Bath? That seems like a good chance of making the play offs, if it doesn't go well for us against Exeter.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:34:06 PM by SteveTodd »

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2020, 07:44:38 PM »
It looks like we will face Exeter's first team on Sunday.

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE LONDON IRISH 29th Sept

15 Phil Dollman
14 Facundo Cordero
13 Tom Hendrickson
12 Ollie Devoto
11 Olly Woodburn
10 Harvey Skinner
9 Stu Townsend
1 Billy Keast
2 Jack Innard
3 Marcus Street
4 Will Witty
5 Tom Price
6 Richard Capstick
7 Don Armand (capt)
8 Aaron Hinkley

16 Elvis Taione
17 James Kenny
18 Alfie Petch
19 Dave Dennis
20 Charlie Wright
21 Sam Maunder
22 Jack Walsh
23 Corey Baldwin

I can’t see Exeter playing their strongest team against us. I feel they will rest a number.

If they do play their big boys - last week’s game will have sapped a lot of energy from a number of them and Wasps have more to play for.

My early prediction is for a Wasps victory and a home semi-final place.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
Exeter do have a squad of 60.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »
What sort of team will Saracens field against Bath? That seems like a good chance of making the play offs, if it doesn't go well for us against Exeter.

Sarries will be all out to win that game. Last match for a few players and they will want to stick 2 fingers up to the premiership.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2020, 07:53:58 AM »
Just had a look at the table, now the BBC have updated it.

Dimes made a big thing in his post match interview last night about needing the bonus point. I understand the reasons now.

Bristol are currently 7 points behind Wasps (as were Sale).
No bonus point in a win tonight and they are still 3 behind. If they get a bonus point win on the last weekend and Wasps get 2 bonus points vs Exeter I think we are still top 4 as Bristols points difference is poor.

I may be wrong but I think a bonus point win for Sale guarantees them top 4, a Win for wasps is top 4, same for Bath. Due to wins and points difference, even a bonus point win for Bristol doesn't guarantee them top 4, they need someone else to lose.

Tonights game is critical from Bristol to put pressure on the other teams at the weekend.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2020, 08:06:52 AM »
Are the last round of games all played at the same time? Or will some clubs kick off knowing other results and exactly what result they need?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2020, 08:20:47 AM »
Are the last round of games all played at the same time? Or will some clubs kick off knowing other results and exactly what result they need?

Yes.

Even BT not saying who their main BT 1 and BT 3 games are with the rest red buttoned.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »
Every game kicks off at the same time on Sunday.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2020, 10:21:14 AM »
Bristol are currently 7 points behind Wasps (as were Sale).
No bonus point in a win tonight and they are still 3 behind. If they get a bonus point win on the last weekend and Wasps get 2 bonus points vs Exeter I think we are still top 4 as Bristols points difference is poor.

I may be wrong but I think a bonus point win for Sale guarantees them top 4, a Win for wasps is top 4, same for Bath. Due to wins and points difference, even a bonus point win for Bristol doesn't guarantee them top 4, they need someone else to lose.

Tonights game is critical from Bristol to put pressure on the other teams at the weekend.

Points difference comes after number of wins if teams are level on league points.  In the scenario above, Bristol finish ahead with 14 wins to Wasps 13.

From Wasps point of view it is pretty simple.  Win against Exeter guarantees top 4; score 4 tries in the process and it's a home semi.  Lose to Exeter and we rely on others slipping up.  Realistically our best chance of that is for Sarries to turn Bath over.  As someone said above, I think Sarries will be massively up for that one now Europe has gone.  Last game for a number of players, plus the need to stick two fingers up at the Premiership before their little sabbatical.  But let's just keep it simple and do a number on Exeter! :)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
Problem is with relying on Sarries, is if Bath get a BP, and level up points with us, they still go ahead of us.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2020, 11:26:06 AM »
For once I am not too worried about where we finish.

If we get a top 4 place all well and good, but, to be honest, I am so pleased that we are even in the running after our season start.

At the start of the season I wanted us to get a top 6 placing, so qualifying for the European Cup. By a few weeks in I was hoping we would avoid relegation. Now, to be even talking about the playoffs, means we are in such a better place that I will be really happy with a close 5th place.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2020, 11:30:19 AM »
For once I am not too worried about where we finish.

If we get a top 4 place all well and good, but, to be honest, I am so pleased that we are even in the running after our season start.

At the start of the season I wanted us to get a top 6 placing, so qualifying for the European Cup. By a few weeks in I was hoping we would avoid relegation. Now, to be even talking about the playoffs, means we are in such a better place that I will be really happy with a close 5th place.

+1

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2020, 11:38:26 AM »
I think the boys would be very disappointed if they couldn't stay in the top 4.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hopwood

« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2020, 11:51:17 AM »
I think the boys would be very disappointed if they couldn't stay in the top 4.

Agreed.
They'll set their standards and expectations high.
That's what top teams do.

But as fans...I think most of us are just enjoying the ride. A brilliant second half to the season...and sets us up nicely for the next 3-5 years potentially.

Covkid48

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2020, 11:57:05 AM »
Am i right in thinking that Farrell will be back for the Bath game, lets hope he feels like he has a point to prove.